Craftsman Professional 10" Hybrid Table Saw

Review by Tony Z posted 01-25-2008 03:14 AM 12089 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman Professional 10" Hybrid Table Saw Craftsman Professional 10" Hybrid Table Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this saw for almost a year now and I love it. I got a great deal on it also. It retails for about $1100 but it went on sale for $1000 and then Sears had a deal for 20% off that and then combined that with no interest for a year. I couldn’t pass it up. I ended up getting it for $800! The saw comes with a Biesemeyer fence which is one of the best features. When I first used the saw with this fence, I could have cried. The Biesemeyer fence works like butter. I don’t know what I’ve been doing all these years without one. There’s plenty of power with 1 1/2 HP. I was used to my old 50’s craftsman and the portable benchtop model that were way underpowered. When a twisted board got bound up and driven into my hip, leaving a nice little square mark, I was freaked and impressed at the same time. It comes with a Leitz Blade. The saw was very easy to set up and square up the top. In about 3 hours I had it cutting. The outfeed table is pretty whimpy but i knew I wasn’t going to use it anyway. I built a large 48×60 outfeed table/ cabinet behind the saw. There is a 4” dust collection port on the back of the saw and it does a good job. I do have to go in once and a while to push some sawdust into it because it gets hung up on the motor’s cords that lie on the slanted floor of the cabinet. There was just a review of these hybrid saws at the end of last year in one of the magazines and I believe this saw did pretty well. One thing the reviewers failed to mention about the saws they tested is that it’s fairly obvious that a few of the saws were almost identical. There were about 3 or 4 saws that looked exactly the same except for the individual manufacturer’s paint jobs and/ or a different fence. It looks like somebody’s making this saw for a few different brands, like a lot of tools. So this saw can be found out there in disguise.
I gave the saw 5 stars. For the price and the amount of work I do with it. It was a huge upgrade over my old saw. Overall I’m very happy with the saw. It’s quiet, heavy, stable, passes the nickel test, accurate, and has done everything I’ve asked of it.

-- Tony, Ohio

View Tony Z's profile

Tony Z

View John's profile

John

#1 posted 01-26-2008 01:01 AM

Tony: Great review – I had no idea Craftsman had higher end tools – thought they were all entry level. Maybe they’re worth another look…

Your shop is spotless! Great job on the bench behind the saw, and that is a really nice firetruck rug!

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View Tony Z's profile

Tony Z

#2 posted 01-26-2008 01:06 AM

Thanks. I’m a firefighter and I stole the rug from my 6 year old. Craftsman actually has steps beyond this with full size cabinet saws.

-- Tony, Ohio

View Roz's profile

Roz

#3 posted 01-30-2008 10:04 PM

I worked for a maintenance company a couple of years ago and they purchased this saw for the carpenter shop. It is a nice one. Stable on the slightly uneven concrete floor,and not affected by the damp or weather extremes it is exposed to in the shed where it is kept. Thanks for the review.

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."

View gbvinc's profile

gbvinc

#4 posted 01-30-2008 11:16 PM

Good review. I have used this saw for about four years now and like it. Does what I need, doesn’t bog, great fence.