Quality Machine, Quality Customer Service, Highly Recommended!

Review by PurpLev posted 1920 days ago 5941 views 3 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quality Machine, Quality Customer Service, Highly Recommended! Quality Machine, Quality Customer Service, Highly Recommended! Quality Machine, Quality Customer Service, Highly Recommended! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received some appletree logs from someone on craigslist, and was contemplating how I can get them into project lumber. I had looked around for small mills, but it wasn’t really worth it since I only have a few smaller logs… then it got me to think, maybe I can do it myself… hence started the interest in bandsaws.

the more I researched about it, the more I was fascinated by the capabilities of a bandsaw and all the things it can do. I have a fairly limited budget, and so I began looking for older 12” saws on craigslist and similar places while at the same time reading reviews and doing more research on each machine I saw.

it came down to it, that none of what I found would be worth it in the long run, since it will not be able to resaw my logs (size capacity, and power) and eventually I’d be upgrading it anyways, so I figured, i’d rather get one that will work NOW, not later… then I read some good feedback on the Rikon deluxe.

it is a bit over what I had expected to pay, but I figured it’s still reasonable for what it is, and will probably be my last bandsaw – I was right about that one (for the foreseen future..lol).

Assembly

The saw comes pretty much assembled for most parts. it is HEAVY! BUT! a 1 person CAN do the job, with proper planning and careful fabrications of assisting devices (to take it out of the box, place it in the right place..etc). I’m not advocating to do it on your own, but personally I was able to do it (don’t have anyone around that could have come for help)

I recommend getting a mobile base for it, and start assembly right on that base… that way, each piece is slightly lighter than the whole saw, and once put in place, will not have to be moved again – ever! (it’ heavy)

make sure that all the nuts in the cabinet space are tight (ratchet works best) so eliminate as much vibration as possible (don’t worry, when the saw is operating there is almost zero vibration going on – this thing is solid and steady but when you crank the wheels etc, there is a tendency to rock the machine ever so slightly).

Tuning

Tuning of this machine is super east, there are really nice large wheels for everything – I mean everything. I’m not going over how to tune a bandsaw in this review – there are plenty of those tutorials online, all I can say is that the controls on this saw are convenient, properly placed, and work very well. smooth to operate, and stay locked in place when needed.

the only exception I found was the blade tension wheel which is on top of the saw – I think positioning it under the frame would be more convenient to use – BUT it would lower the maximum resaw capacity of this saw. you only tension the blade when putting a new one on, so it’s not that big of a deal – I’d rather keep the 13” resaw capacity… just a note to mind.

Dust Collection:

There is only 1 4” chute at the lower wheel area which is partially covered with a metal plate on the inside to prevent people from sticking their fingers in there and getting hurt from the spinning wheel. I’ve read that some people had problems with that plate (it would block air flow and hinder dust collection) but I’ve yet to experience anything of that sort. at the end of operation there is almost 0 dust in the lower frame assembly, and absolutely 0 chips/cutoff pieces. I do run this with a Jet DC1100 connected to it .

there is no dust chute that is positioned at the lower guide assembly like other saws have (even the Rikon regular 14” saw) and there is dust that gathers around that area that doesn’t get into the lower frame to be pulled in by the DC. a quick blow with compressed air takes care of that.

Fence

very easy to use. switches from low profile to normal profile in less than 2 seconds. (2 thumb screws, and a T slot) so far the fence and the saw are very accurate and easy to use.

it also comes with a built in resaw round bar that attaches to the middle of the fence and can be taken off… I haven’t used that one yet, but if I’ll need it – it’s there.

Edit:The Fence rail only accommodates the fence traveling on the left side of the blade, while some fences are capable of traveling on both sides of the blade.

Table

Table is rather large, has 2 T-slot miter slots on each side of the blade. good for most operations, and for those that require a REALLY large surface – a sled can be used (usually those projects requires a sled anyways, so it’s not really the table’s limitation)

Table tilt mechanism is rack-n-pinion which is excellent! for some reason, many saws on the market don’t have that., but this one does. the table tilts 45 to the right, but for some reason only 5 degrees to the left, and not the regular 10 degrees that is found on most other saws. you can see both the tilting mechanism, and also the ramp in the lower frame construction which hinders the table from tilting more than ~5 degrees to the left (there is a bold that helps bring the table to 0, but can be swiveled to the side the allow the table to tilt until it comes in contact with the frame which gives about 5 degrees angle.

This is something that I didn’t really understand, nor payed much attention to when I was researching for a bandsaw. I guess you can’t realize everything until you start gaining experience with it (just like everything else in woodworking and in life in general).

not too biggy (but it’s there), I can make a fixture to get a 10 to the left… with the 13” resaw capacity, I’m not limited by height of fixtures.

Blade Installation

FWW claimed that it takes too long to replace the blade on this saw. it doesn’t. but I can see what they meant. both doors on the saw (upper and lower) have to be open a full 180 to the back, to be able to slide the blade out, and theres also the connecting frame between them the the blade has to slide in and out of. Also to get the blade out of the table you have to disconnect (bolt) a metal bar that holds the fence in place… and reconnect it later…

time to change a blade ~20 seconds… I wouldn’t consider this a deal breaker … really.

Blade tracking

see tuning… very easy, and with a window you can see the blade on the wheel it’s very intuitive.

Blade Tensioning

see tuning – very easy, and with a window you can see the blade tensioning dial, it’s very intuitive (yeah, almost a copy paste of the tracking part)

however, the tensioning dial did get bent over when I was tracking the blade and shifted the wheel outwards… apparently this is a known issue which might render the dial inoperable and useless, but I check the tension using my finger in the front of the blade, and haven’t really tried using the dial anyways.

EDIT: The Rikon Deluxe saw comes with a built in quick blade detentioner. some people claim this is a marketing design set back in the days, some people stand by it, either way – this one comes with one as a standard control – I like that. you can always choose whether to use it or not. but it’s there if you chose to use it.

Blade Guards

These are ball bearing guides both under and over the table. easy to setup – lockable with allen screw that mounts and stays on the saw’s frame. adjustments are done using oversized thumbscrews, I have used the factory original guides on both 3/4”, 1/2” and 3/32” blades with no problems what so ever. they are adjustable front to back, and can accommodate each of those blades properly.

Operation:

The saw runs amazingly smooth, 0 vibration (at least nothing noticeable) and very quiet… if you’ll step a few feet away, you might forget that this thing is on!

with a good blade (I got the 1/2” woodslicer for it) this saw cuts super smooth and precise! out of the box (so to speak) blade cover is using rack-n-pinion mechanism ,and lock in place solid. on-off buttons are large, and easy to access. I’m running this saw on a 15amp breaker, and it has never cause any problems (unlike my DC)

Conclusion
This bandsaw was well worth the money and time I had waited until I could get it (yes, I had to hold off when originally wanted to purchase a lower grade saw, and save a little more) it does what it needs to do, and it does it VERY WELL! doesnt complain, and always asks for more.

low maintenance, easy setup, easy controls, great performer! highly recommended.

Customer Service
With recent questionable CS issues that have floated around, I thought this is worth mentioning – Rikon CS is superb! they are responsive, responsible, don’t BS, and (seems like) they want to see their machine working as it should in the hands of it’s owner – hands down! any question or concern I came up with I was answered promptly with a very positive attitude from really cool people. Thank you Rikon! I almost forget that good CS still exists.

View Chris's profile

Chris

338 posts in 1955 days

#1 posted 1920 days ago

Great blog on the saw. My only issue is with your statement on tensioning the blade “you only tension the blade when putting a new one on”. I have always been told to not leave the blade tensioned , particularly as I may go months between using the saw. For all I know this is an old wive’s tale, but there are aftermarket blade de-tensioners available. Of course that might be someone cashing in on a popular misconception.

Or of course, the Rikon may have an integrated blade de-tensioner, in which case please ignore this misguided rant ;-].

-- Chris

View Chris's profile

Chris

338 posts in 1955 days

#2 posted 1920 days ago

So I went and looked at an ad for the Rikon, and it does appear to have an integrated quick tension release. Please ignore my earlier post. Great looking saw.

-- Chris

#3 posted 1920 days ago

Thanks Chris for pointing that out, everything about this saw is so intuitive and simple, that I forgot to mention that one as well… I edited it in.

View newTim's profile

newTim

#4 posted 1920 days ago

Nice review. I’ve had the Rikon Deluxe for over a year now and really like it. I also appreciate the customer service. There may be a little trick you’ll have to learn to reset the tensioning assembly. The whole assembly is held in place by a square bolt that can be unscrewed if you over tension or don’t release the quick tensioning bar. It is not a safety issue and won’t happen when the machine is running. Just something that can happen when tuning or changing blades. Basically you insert a larger slot screwdriver tip through the spring to hold the bolt in place while threading it to the assembly. I don’t know all the part names so this is not clear. Once I fugured it out it was simple and the guys back at Rikon will help. BTW, same thing can happen with the 18” bandsaw.

-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com

#5 posted 1919 days ago

Thanks newTim thats a good tip, never really had any issues with the tensioning assembly though, mine works pretty smoothly (and I don’t always remember to release the quick tensioning bar… read- mostly not)

3fingerpat – does you wife REALLY needs to leave home? (I know…that was bad…lol)

View MyOldGarage's profile

MyOldGarage

93 posts in 2025 days

#6 posted 1919 days ago

Very cool. I’ve been thinking on a bandsaw—I think I can get my grandfather’s old one to see how it all works, but someday I’m sure I’ll be on the upgrade path. (It’s an older Craftsman 14” I believe.) Nice review!

-- Bradley Miller, Blue Springs, MO - http://myoldgarage.blogspot.com

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#7 posted 1919 days ago

Nice review! Thanks!!!!

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#8 posted 1919 days ago

Hi Purplev;

Great review.

Glad to see a good company review.

Lee

View Tomas's profile

Tomas

#9 posted 1919 days ago

Purplev – I was interested in your experiences with resawing – obviously by the pictures it looks like this machine excels at resawing. I bought a junky harbor freight bandsaw so I am nervous about jumping into another 14 inch bandsaw and I am thinking of getting a 17 inch bandsaw just because I had a horrible experience trying to resaw with the HF saw – the blade had too much drift and I felt I had to really push the wood, the machine screeched through the cut and I just gave up on resawing. I was wondering how happy you are with the speed of resaw cut and the ability to saw a straight enough line on your resaws and do you think your machine can handle dense wood resaws to your satisfaction – if you were mainly going to use the bandsaw for resawing, would you still recommend your machine or go to a bigger model? – Tomas

View kiwi1969's profile

kiwi1969

609 posts in 2040 days

#10 posted 1919 days ago

If it,s so quiet I hope you remember it,s running if you walk away. I,ve read about a guy who wired a light on to his saws on/off switch to remind him it was on because it was so quiet he would simply forget. Not that you should walk away without switching it off first, but we,ve all done it. Good indepth review.

-- if the hand is not working it is not a pure hand

#11 posted 1918 days ago

Tomas, One of the main reasons I got the bandsaw was for resawing – as I stated in my first paragraph, I received some Apple Logs that I had to slice down (I still have them by the way… and should really get down to cutting them up already… too many things have higher priority right now and little time at hand). but I did resaw this 11'' laminated board with extreme ease, and with a very good looking cut – both in precision, and in smoothness of the cut faces. I resaws a ~1 1/8” thick material into 2×1/2” boards , and I’m even able to use the 1/16” leftover veneer “cutoff” from that resaw for my front face of the box (I laminated it onto 1/4” birch ply for added thickness) – so, yeah, I’m extremely happy with the resaw capacity and capability of this saw – this is why I chose this one over others, and I’ve never had to regret it. the more I use it, the more I like it.

kiwi – I never forget to turn it off when I step away …. I do it on purpose ..lol (ok, j\k my workshop is so small, that you can’t really walk ‘AWAY’ anyways)

View Kindlingmaker's profile

Kindlingmaker

#12 posted 1918 days ago

I too have this saw and love it. ...and I abuse things!

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

View BigStick's profile

BigStick

17 posts in 2015 days

#13 posted 1906 days ago

Rikon 14 is a good saw and dollar 4 dollar worth the money. Just a few problems I didn’t like was the light was on the wrong side, back lighting. Also the bearing blocks we made from aluminum and were a problem from poor taping. Set screw on one was crooked but the Customer service was great and sent a new one the same day. 2 days later I was up and running. Nice machine and Rikon is really trying to put out a good products for the price.
BigStick

View MikeinNJ's profile

MikeinNJ

22 posts in 1903 days

#15 posted 1902 days ago

Hello Purplev, I purchased the same saw after it received good marks in a wood working magazine. I mainly purchased it because I liked the resaw capacity. However, after putting it together ( and I agree with you about the poorly written manual ) I wasn’t happy. I cannot hold a straight line even cutting in soft wood when resawing. I have used different blades, changed the speed but stilll no luck. I currently have it running with a Timberwolf resaw blade. Is there anything I seem to be missing?