First impressions (and with limited experience)

Review by bonobo posted 02-02-2016 07:40 PM 3404 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First impressions (and with limited experience) First impressions (and with limited experience) No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve only used it for an evening but unless something strips or breaks, I’m very satisfied with it.

My only previous experience was with Garrett Hack’s block shaped scratch stock found at Fine Woodworking. My problem with it was that an instant of inattention mean’t that the fence could lose registration, jump, and tear up the bead. It happened enough that I was planning to build a more traditional style version. When this scratch stock came up, I figured what the hell.

It’s working very well so far. The bottom and fence are slightly bellied, so the geometry of the cut can be futzed with without it jumping out of the cut. It’s small but has a pleasant heft. For smaller, light profiles, I think it’ll do the job nicely.

The only reason I’m not giving it 5 stars is that it would have been nice if the cap screw could have somehow had a retainer washer (because you need to completely unscrew it to change cutters and I KNOW I’m going to drop and lose it). The cutters seem a maybe bit thin but I suppose they’ll be less work to profile. I plan on on making some heat treated cutters (for maximum durability) and will probably use thicker stock. I’ll update when I’ve tried that.

...but yeah, for the price point, it’s a good Canadian made, well designed tool.

-- “The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” ― Mark Twain

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

#1 posted 02-02-2016 07:56 PM

I was looking at these just the other night in the catalog. Thanks for the review!

-- Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.

View JayT's profile

JayT

#2 posted 02-02-2016 08:43 PM

I’m confused by the overly technical terms, like “futzed”. :-)

Nice review. I haven’t had the need of a scratch stock, yet, but would like to get one for the time when the need does come up. I can see several possibilities in some upcoming projects.

-- In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson

View theoldfart's profile

theoldfart

#3 posted 02-02-2016 09:36 PM

I have the catalogue next to me right now and you’ve answered all but one question. Where do I find the funds to pay for it?

Good and useful review, thanks.

-- "With every tool obtained, there is another that is needed" DonW ( Kevin )

#4 posted 02-03-2016 12:12 AM

Speaking to the price, I think that with the exchange on the dollar, it’s an amazing deal for folks in the states. I forgot to mention that it comes with 3 cutters. Two of the edges are profiled, one as a bead and the other as a groove but that leaves 4 blank edges, so I don’t think I’d bother buying the set in the initial outlay.

I’ll still probably make a larger version for deeper profiles following these instructions at Pegs and Tails

... but this purchase was an easy solution that satisfied my immediate needs nicely.

View JohnChung's profile

JohnChung

408 posts in 2070 days

#5 posted 02-03-2016 04:36 PM

It is on my wish list…...

#6 posted 02-04-2016 03:58 AM

Making your own is not difficult or expensive.

#7 posted 02-04-2016 05:03 AM

Hey Paul, how do you manage without a fence? Is the cutter extended that far out while you’re using it?

View daveyGTR's profile

daveyGTR

#8 posted 02-09-2016 02:16 AM

any chance you could take time to explain to me the purpose of this tool. I have been in the construction field for 15 years. Started by doing roofing and siding, then worked for a company doing insurance loss claims (water, fire, ice). I have been real interested in furniture building and re purposing old lumber but never really have had the time, but now that i do i am in the process of gathering my tools and setting up a nice shop, so will be asking alot of advice as well as researching threads threw out this forum.

#9 posted 03-03-2016 11:06 PM

bonobo- You could clamp a board in place for a fence. I just took many light strokes- after starting the grooves with a hand saw.
The tool is a scratch stock, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_stock

#10 posted 03-04-2016 08:05 PM

View Aidan1211's profile

Aidan1211

#11 posted 07-07-2016 05:20 PM

Stanley No. 66, cheaper just as good if not better and cool to own. I have a hard time swallowing the prices of most modern makers (Lie Nielsen almost justifies the price point by the superior machining) when there are tools out in old tool land that work awesome for less money. The Veritas is pretty at least!

-- its better to plan on the task at hand than actually doing it........ You look smarter.