Powerful Dust Collection with Some Work

Review by Severian posted 01-30-2016 06:24 AM 5276 views 3 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powerful Dust Collection with Some Work Powerful Dust Collection with Some Work No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I installed a CV 1800 system a few months ago in my shop. I’m just a hobbyist, not a pro by any stretch, but I’m blessed to be able to own some nice tools. The CV takes a good amount of work to assemble and get the system running—it’s far from turnkey—but I rather enjoyed the process. The instructions were reasonably clear, and you can find YouTube videos too. The CV support was outstanding when I had questions and when one part needed to be replaced due to stripped threads from the factory. I used S&D schedule 35 6” PVC (the green stuff) for my ductwork, and really enjoyed putting that together. There’s something satisfying about how quickly you can create a fairly intricate piping system with PVC. (I tried to find the lighter and cheaper white S&D pipe but no one seemed to have it.) I secured all pipe connections with two sheet metal screws and metal HVAC tape.

I’m incompetent with electricity, so I had my electrician do the wiring. Three comments on that: 1) The motor was initially wired to run the opposite direction of what was needed—a minor fix for the electrician, but it no doubt would have driven me mad. 2) My electrician chuckled at the optional wiring box/remote kit I bought from CV; he said it was fine, but he could have done the same thing for a fraction of the cost. Not a huge deal as that part wasn’t outlandishly expensive, but I mention it for those who might benefit. 3) A few hours after installation, the system started on and off randomly… it was quite unsettling. Turns out that the remote must have been on the same frequency as something else in my neighborhood (garage door opener or the like). CV sent me a differently coded remote and that instantly fixed the problem.

A friend gave me a clean 55 gallon drum, so I installed the system high enough on the wall to accommodate that. (As you’ll see from the pics, ceiling height is not a problem in my shop.) As others have said, the CV system is indeed loud. I wear 3M Peltor earmuffs when using it. Some people build insulated cabinets around the CV to cut down on the noise, but I’d worry that I couldn’t see when the drum fills up with chips (I can now see it backing up into the clear hose leading into the drum). They sell bin sensors for that, but for now I can live with the noise and the earmuffs.

I know from reading previous reviews that some people say “If I spend thousands on a DC system, why should I put up with all the DIY stuff and NEED to deal with good customer service at ALL?” I can’t dispute that logic. Normally I’d agree. All I can tell you is that despite all the work and the issues, I’m still very satisfied with my system. I find the performance to be simply outstanding even without going to the trouble of running 6” runs all the way to my machines (I transition to 4” hose when needed). I have it hooked up to my table saw, 6” jointer, 13” planer, router table, bandsaw, miter saw, and sander. Dust collection on all but the miter saw is simply outstanding, and the miter saw isn’t shabby. I don’t have the equipment to measure air flow, but I can tell you that my shop is nearly chip and dust free unless I use a dado blade on the TS. Yesterday I was sanding a piece of oak around the size of a deck of playing cards—at my spindle sander, at the very far end of the run from the CV. The system sucked the wood right out of my hands. I had to quickly shut the system off and track the piece down in the ductwork (it landed at the blast gate of another piece of equipment). Good enough for me.

BTW the pics are from fairly early in the installation, before I’d added my jointer and sander and all of the piping/hoses, but you’ll get the idea.

One additional note: I have a Sawstop Professional table saw, and highly recommend the blade guard overarm dust collection option. I find that it helps immensely.

I’ve never used another DC system so I’m not in a position to compare. But I can definitely recommend the CV 1800 to those with the funds, the necessary ceiling height, and the time.

View Severian's profile

Severian

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#1 posted 01-30-2016 12:51 PM

Thank you for the review…..

What did you do with respect to the port size on your machines. Did you taper down from the 6” pipe to 4” ports or did you enlarge the machine ports?

View Severian's profile

Severian

#2 posted 01-30-2016 07:28 PM

I didn’t enlarge the ports, just tapered. I didn’t have the heart to cut into my new Sawstop etc. I decided to try things out with the factory 4” ports; if I was unhappy with the result I could always modify to 6” ports later.

I ended up being perfectly happy using the factory ports. As I mentioned, my TS has two DC points: the 4” port on the cabinet and the optional overarm collector that connects to the blade guard. Without the latter, I’d be considerably less happy. I also have two points of collection on my router table: a 4” hose that connects to an Incra Cleansweep (just a housing that encloses the router mounted in the table) and a 2.5” hose that connects to the Incra Wonderfence. I like the Wonderfence in general, though its DC point is on the end of the fence rather than the more logical middle of the fence (near the bit) as in a Jessem fence I recently saw, and the Plastic DC port is prone to failure due to stress from the hose and an inadequate mounting system for the port. If I had it to do over I might not buy the Wonderfence, though I’m happy with the Incra table. I also use special plate inserts that Incra sells—they provide more holes for air to get through. Overall I think that setup works adequately for the kind of routing I do. As I mentioned in the review, though, I’m only a hobbyist and respect the fact that others may have a different experience.

As many have pointed out, the miter saw is difficult to tame. I modified a large Rubbermaid container that I affixed to the shop wall, and connected the 6” hose to that. It helps a good deal but isn’t perfect.

My Dewalt planer and Jet jointer had 4” factory ports. I connected directly to them with 4” hose and couldn’t be happier. I could see how you’d modify the jointer, but I wouldn’t mess with the planer which is made out of tough plastic.

You’ll get different opinions and they are valid. I’m simply relaying my experience. It’s possible that I’m just easy to please, but my wife and employees would be quick to deny that.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#3 posted 02-04-2016 03:17 AM

I LOVE my Clearvue cyclone! It is definitely worth the money if you want to hook up a central system to several machines all over the shop. Great system!

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' most unique publications: http://www.stumpynubs.com/

#4 posted 02-05-2016 03:19 AM

Very nicely done

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Tobyt's profile

Tobyt

#5 posted 03-16-2016 10:50 PM

I also am quite impressed with the Clearvue Cylcone. I did enlarge some of the machine ports to 6”. Lots of suction, even at the machines with 4” ports. Would highly recommend it!

View CudaKeith's profile

CudaKeith

#6 posted 04-19-2016 11:08 PM

I am very curious, because I am in the market for a new DC system… What is the overall height, including the 55gal drum. Not sure if I have enough head room for that.

Cheers

-- Cheers

View JimKY's profile

JimKY

#7 posted 04-28-2016 03:02 AM

Cheers

- CudaKeith

I’m installing this same system now. With the 35 gallon container it needs 8 ft of ceiling height. I have 12 ft so I mounted it up pretty high for a 55 gallon drum and a cart w/wheels to roll it off.

View EdL's profile

EdL

#8 posted 01-15-2018 10:48 PM

Thanks for this review. CV appears to be a quality dust collection system.

This is the latest review of a CV system that I’m seeing so I’ll tag a question for you veteran CV owners out there.
I have a opportunity to purchase a 5HP CV System used. It appears to have been purchased around 2007, installed and used is a hobbyist setting. I’ve visited the sight and the unit does turn on but there is no ducting currently attached.

My questions:
Need I be concerned about the age of the unit?
Any thoughts on a reasonable price point?
What questions should I be asking to get smarter?

The paperwork available is the installation guide that came with the unit. Or at least that’s all I was shown.

Hay guys… thanks for your help.

-- --- Ed