Ultimate saw horse/table

Review by Scott Oldre posted 04-12-2009 03:09 PM 13247 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ultimate saw horse/table Ultimate saw horse/table No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is the ultimate accessory in my garage shop. It, and it’s twin, gets pulled out on nearly every single project I take on. Sometimes it becomes semi permanent, and other times it’s out for an hour or two. I saw this table/horse about 2 years ago while strolling down the “Hey look at me, take me home” display isle at Home Depot and since I was with my wife she nonchalantly wiped the drool from my chin and said “Lets go to the plants now!” Since it was near Christmas time, I’d hoped she’d gotten the hint. SHE DID! Opened it up on Christmas day and although I can’t say for sure, I’m thinking I used it sometime for something within a day or two of that wonderful day. So that’s how I got one. Now, on to what I think of it.

The horse is nearly as light as the common plastic fold out single beam horses that everyone including 7-11 sells. It’s width is possibly an inch wider when folded. It’s height when opened is 31” It’s strength and versatility unparalleled. The table top snaps off the aluminum tube which forms the axis of the X, and snaps in on top when the X is opened. There is a lock mechanism, but I rarely use it since I use it mostly for setting things on. I’ve seen two models, one with aluminum legs which I have, and one with heavy plastic legs. I don’t know of there’s really a difference, but the aluminum looks nicer. The top is 24”x24”, plus the tops of the legs give a little more width and depth. One leg is adjustable for less than flat floors.

If you’ve got smooth garage/shop floors, the table with a load slides pretty easy if you need to move it around.

Some of the things I’ve used it for:

1. I have a piece of granite about 1.25” thick, 24”x32” that I use from time to time for sanding and checking to ensure my projects sit flat. It fits nicely on the horse

2. I have a 10” Delta miter that sits on the top from time to time while cutting molding, 4×4 posts, etc

3. I have a Shop Fox 10”x16” lathe (120lbs) that sits on it from time to time and with a 3/4” piece of pine underneath the lathe, it’s the perfect height for me at 6’1” to turn way too many pens.

4. I’ve used it to put my Dewalt 734 planer on

5. I’ve given them for Christmas to my step son-in-law….there’s a 32” tube TV on his

5. I’ve used it and it’s twin for a stable stand and throw a piece of plywood over them for an assembly table. Much more stable than the fold out horses.

6. I’ve used it as a side table when working on something and need to put my tools down on or hold parts.

7. I’ve used it as the base of a table when serving guests

8. I’ve used it to stand on

9. My Dad was so impressed he bought one for himself, for a furniture finishing stand

10. My sister saw it and he bought her one for Christmas.

11. I’ve used it to …...the list truly goes on and on.

If you’ve got a Home Depot near by, check it out…you won’t be disappointed. They go for about $40 each…so grab two.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#1 posted 04-12-2009 06:21 PM

thanks for the review. i saw this on “Cool Tools” a few months ago. I have two B&D portable workmates that are indespensible. I’d like to pick up one (or two) of these. they look sturdy and well engineered.

View rtb's profile

rtb

#2 posted 04-12-2009 08:51 PM

I’ve had one of these for a couple of years and its everything Scott says it is and more. Its rare that mine even gets folded up. in many ways it better that a saw horse ( how much can you lay on top of a saw horse? )

-- RTB. stray animals are just looking for love

View clieb91's profile

clieb91

#3 posted 04-13-2009 02:24 AM

I also have one of these and used it a lot before I built my shop table. They are quite strong and a very good tool stand. Still use it when I have projects to do outside of my shop.

CtL

-- Chris L. "Don't Dream it, Be it."- PortablePastimes.com (Purveyors of Portable Fun and Fidgets)

View buffalosean's profile

buffalosean

#4 posted 04-15-2009 12:29 AM

how does the planner work on it. do you secure it staight to one stand or is it secured to a piece of lumber across the two stands?

-- There are many ways to skin a cat...... but, the butter knife is not recommended

View OutPutter's profile

OutPutter

#5 posted 04-15-2009 10:08 AM

I’d appreciate if anyone can locate one now. I think they’re discontinued at Home DePot.

-- Jim

View Mike67's profile

Mike67

96 posts in 2055 days

#6 posted 04-15-2009 08:22 PM

I have one of these and keep my lunchbox planer on it. Works great although I think it places the planer a little higher than ideal. Mine is the version with plastic legs and there’s a little flex in them when I plane larger boards, but not much.
I just used some clamps to attach the planer to the stand.

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 2074 days

#7 posted 04-16-2009 05:22 PM

these saw horses are a lot better then the old wood ones that weighed 30 pounds. He is a link to a good video. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dctl/

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View oldskoolmodder's profile

oldskoolmodder

#8 posted 04-17-2009 02:32 AM

Like others’ here, mine rarely comes down. It’s too useful.

-- Respect your shop tools and they will respect you - Ric

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

#9 posted 04-17-2009 10:17 PM

I have a pair myself. They are used for almost everything and the best stands I have in my shop. I hardly ever get-out my other sawhorses and tables unless I need the extra space, and when I do I wish I had more sets of these stands. If they have been discontinued that would be a real shame.

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View OutPutter's profile

OutPutter

#10 posted 04-18-2009 04:18 PM

Sadly, I think they are discontinued.

-- Jim

View dave33's profile

dave33

12 posts in 2047 days

#11 posted 04-20-2009 04:25 AM

Damnit these are so cool. My local home depots dos’t have them either. Any idea where else to find them?

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

#12 posted 05-06-2009 06:12 PM

Good news! I found some of these at the HD in Cincinnati:

I don’t know if they are available again or just what’s left at this store. Here’s the address if you’re in the area:

Pleasant Ridge #3832
3400 Highland Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45213
(513)631-1705

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.