Install of iGaging DRO for 20" Grizzly planer

Review by zatoechi posted 01-25-2016 01:31 PM 3153 views 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Install of iGaging DRO for 20" Grizzly planer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just wanted to briefly share a different approach to mounting a DRO on a planer that does not require complicated fabrication. This is not meant to be a comprehensive product review but instead piggyback on a previous (and very good) review – http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2573

There are two main differences in this approach. The first is using an aluminum extrusion as the main means of mounting the DRO to the planer. The extrusion used is 1” x 1.5” cross-section with bolt head slots on 3 sides.

A 4’ length (twice what was needed) of this cost $8. Similar extrusion profiles that take t-bolts are readily available on the internet. I found this piece at a local salvage place.
The extrusion beam is easily mounted to the planer using the T-bolt slots and a short piece of angle iron:

Note – I didn’t even bother to find standard T-Bolts to fit the extrusion slots. Instead I used standard bolts and ground two parallel sides of the bolt heads on a stationary belt sander so that they were narrow enough to fit the slot. This was done in under 2 minutes :-)

A piece of 3/4” plywood is also readily attached to the extrusion using T-bolts and lock nuts. The DRO was
mounted to the plywood using wood screws and located such that it was exactly opposite the interface on the planer table. This is a little hard to describe so I will let the following photos (hopefully) do most of the explaining.

The second major different in this approach was the use of 3 small strong (N52) neodymium magnets to attach the planer table bracket to the planer. These magnets are readily available on EBay and other sites and cost $1 a piece. Again I am hoping a few photos will make this clear.

Please feel free to ask questions and I am happy to supply additional photos if anyone is interested in this approach

View zatoechi's profile

zatoechi

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#1 posted 01-25-2016 02:11 PM

Nice mounting technique. I will favorite it for ideas when I upgrade my planer.

How do you like your 20” Grizzly? I am thinking of buying the 15” spiral Grizzly. I wish I could afford the price and space for a 20”.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View zatoechi's profile

zatoechi

#2 posted 01-25-2016 05:10 PM

I like my grizzly. It is a spiral and leaves a nice finish. I was able to pick this up at their yearly scatch and dent sale at a large (~35- 40%) discount because it had significant but repairable damage. That is how I was able to afford it (and get my wife to go along with it ;-)

View Mainiac Matt 's profile (online now)

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 01-26-2016 03:23 AM

I have iGaging DROs on my Grizzly benchtop metal working lathe and think they work great.

Your mount looks solid and well thought out.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam