Magswitch Featherboard - A dream to use

Review by Grumpy posted 01-25-2008 01:26 AM 9623 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Magswitch Featherboard - A dream to use Magswitch Featherboard - A dream to use Magswitch Featherboard - A dream to use Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had been eyeing off the Magswitch featherboard in magazines for some time and thought what a great invention it was. I don’t really understand how you can turn a magnet on and off , other than an electro magnet, simply by turning a knob but you can with the Magswitch. If anybody knows how it is done I would like to hear about it.
I purchased the 30mm Magswitch Pro2 this week. It consists of two powerful earth magnets associated with a featherboard in a type of durable plastic molding. An optional vertical attachment can be fitted. I purchased both items.
Photobucket
This is truly an amazing addition to the workshop. Not only does it assist with the safety aspects it assists with accurate cutting. You might say any other featherboard will do the same but there is a difference.
-The Magswitch can be turned on or off and removed very easily. Other featherboards are either clamped or bolted to the table saw slot.
Photobucket
-It can be located anywhere on your table saw, router station, jointer, bandsaw table etc. provided they are magnetically compatible eg steel. If you have aluminum or allow table beds you are out of luck with this tool. My router table has a MDF bed but with a little modification I can add a piece of steel to accommodate the Magswitch.
-The Magswitch is surprisingly powerful, the manufacturer states the 30mm Mag-Jig (a different device) has a gripping force of 155lb. It don’t know the gripping force of the two magnets on the Magswitch but it is surprisingly strong.
-A big advantage is that it can be set up very easily and quickly.
The Magswitch meets my 5 star rating.
PS: I have no association with a supplier or manufacturer of this product.
http://www.magswitch.com.au/ is a global link.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 01-25-2008 01:45 AM

There are no magnets that actually touch the table.

It’s the steel spacers. The knobs are connected the magnets and transfer their force when the magnet
poles are rotated to align with the spacers. This completes a “magnetic circuit”.

I hope that I explained that clear enough.

View TomFran's profile

TomFran

#2 posted 01-25-2008 01:45 AM

Looks like it would work very well, Grumpy. Thanks for the review!

-- Tom, Surfside Beach, SC - Romans 8:28

#3 posted 01-25-2008 01:52 AM

Thanks Gary. It had to be something simple like that. Still it is very effective.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#4 posted 01-25-2008 01:55 AM

No problem, and great rewiew by the way.

View dalec's profile

dalec

#5 posted 01-26-2008 11:46 PM

I saw these at the local woodworker shop and tried the magnets. Really held the feather board in place.

My only regret is my table top is aluminum, so the magnets are not a option. Another reason to go with cast iron table tops.

Dalec

View mot's profile

mot

#6 posted 01-28-2008 12:46 AM

Thanks for the review, Grumpy. I’ve been looking at these for awhile. I have lots of featherboard options, but like the fact that it holds the stock down as well as to the fence. Thanks.

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#7 posted 01-28-2008 01:03 AM

they are really highly recommended. I may get a set myself. They also sell in parts sot hat you can do some jig making based on the idea.

-- making sawdust....

View orgelbau's profile

orgelbau

#8 posted 02-03-2008 05:54 PM

A Magswitch has two magnets polarized horizontally (rather than through their axis) when mated to opposite poles they form a magnetic shunt which expends all its flux in the circuit, with poles in parity it throws out a field. See the patent for details – seems like something we could re-create in our own shops with some tinkering, if we could find non axially magnetized magnets… I think K&J Magnetics sells some of those.

UPDATE : Indeed they do... but amazing magnets has one that might be even more suitable.

View jaspr's profile

jaspr

#9 posted 03-09-2008 03:32 AM

By setting up my resaw fence to the right of th blade, I can use the magswitch on my bandsaw too.

(though I understand that they are making a new featherboard for use on the right of blades too)

it’s a great product!

-- Claire

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1917 days

#10 posted 11-02-2010 05:53 AM

I was actually just thinking about their resaw fence, for my band saw:

Anybody using one ?

[full disclosure: my brother IS the product rep FOR MagSwitch, but … as the old saying goes … the shoemaker’s kids are always barefoot :-)]

-- -- Neil

#11 posted 11-18-2010 09:34 AM

No Neil, but it looks like a good one. I am still regularly using the featherboard it’s a great tool.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1917 days

#12 posted 11-23-2010 04:28 AM

Just for the record, Grumpy ....

I got lucky. My brother had all but a couple of screws from one of their Resaw Fences and gave it to me !

Last night, I used it to resaw a 6’ board of 9+” read oak at 3/4” thickness.

Though I really don’t get much blade drift—especially the way I’ve set up my saw (some Carter bits, and Cool Blocks)—the MagSwitch resaw fence design would allow you to compensate for the drift as you’re feeding the board through.

It worked REALLY well for me. I’m looking forward to its continued use.

AND …. I was pretty darned amazed at how well those magnets held, on my CI band saw table.

-- -- Neil

#13 posted 11-23-2010 05:43 AM

You have a great tool there Neil, I can really see the benefit of it.