Veritas Cabinet Scraper

Review by ajthomas5009 posted 01-20-2016 05:54 AM 3266 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Cabinet Scraper No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For Christmas I received the Veritas Cabinet Scraper w/EX blade. I really wanted a cab scraber because I hear they were amazing tools and I heard it was hard to beat the price of the Veritas Not to mentioned it was slightly bigger than the No 80 and had a thicker blade.

Well let me tell you Veritas didn’t disappoint. out of the box the fit and finish was excellent, the sole was flat and the blade was ready to take a decent shaving. I used the stock blade for a cpl of hrs with no problems. I was estimate the shavings to be med/fine with stock set up.

After the stock setup started to get dull I sharpened both blades to 15K and turned a slight hook on them. Paul Seller’s has a nice article on this process. It was fairly easy and boy was it worth it. After honing and turning a hook this baby really purred, taking fluffy whisper thin shavings off the work piece. So those of you looking for another option to your card scraper I highly recommend the Veritas Cab scraper. Especially since its only 60$ with a blade ready to rock. Vs a used No 80 that goes for around 40$ and needs a little work.

-- Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on.

View ajthomas5009's profile

ajthomas5009

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 01-20-2016 07:47 PM

I have this scraper too and like it. I’ve had some problems with it digging in, though… I’ll have to look at the sellers article you mentioned.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View bbain32's profile

bbain32

#2 posted 01-20-2016 11:45 PM

This is one of the things on my LV wishlist, thanks for the confirmation it is a quality tool.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

#3 posted 01-21-2016 01:12 PM

Cabinet scrapers are excellent tools. $40 sounds high for a Stanley #80, mine was 1/2 that with shipping 4 yrs ago on ebay, but maybe prices went up. The used #80’s will require some time to clean up & tune. I tested the Veritas version at a show, and found I liked the #80 better. I prefer to pull the tool, and the ergonomics and handle attachment location on the Veritas just weren’t as good as the #80. The Veritas worked a little better when pushing the tool. All the Veritas tools I have are excellent. For those with more cash, I highly recommend the Veritas scraper plane – all the positives of a cabinet scraper with the benefit of blade angle/depth adjustability, and better hand/wrist ergonomics. I have a review of it on LJ’s. A cabinet scraper will accomplish the same thing, the scraper plane is more of a luxury tool. Glad you were able to sharpen and hook the blade and get it to work well – many folks seem to struggle with it.

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#4 posted 01-21-2016 01:22 PM

Thanks for the review. I am just beginning to “discover” hand tools as an alternative to my power tools. So I will remember this tool.

When would you use a cabinet scraper instead of a card (?) scraper? I as because The Woodworking Show will be in town soon and I was planning on purchasing a card scraper from them.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

#5 posted 01-22-2016 08:09 PM

IMO, a card scraper and the cabinet scraper discussed here are interchangeable. Card scrapers can get VERY warm when hand held, plus some people just don’t have the hand strength to use a card scraper for very long.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View Andre's profile

Andre

#6 posted 01-25-2016 02:23 AM

I am with the like the #80 just a little more, but I have a hock blade in mine that makes it IMHO much better!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View ajthomas5009's profile

ajthomas5009

#7 posted 02-04-2016 11:26 PM

Woodnsawdust- A cabinet scraper and a card scraper are almost the same thing. The main differences are a cab scraper has more of a thick plane style blade where as a card scraper is thin spring steel. The blade on a cab scraper is mounted on a plane like iron that resimbles a spoke shave. This helps keep the surface flatter while scraping a card scraper is bent by the users hands and is either pushed or pulled at various angles. With a card scraper the users hands can get quite sore or hot. A card scraper can fit in tighter spaces though.

If money using a big deal I’d get both a cab scraper and a set of card scrapers. You can get them both delivered from Lee valley for 100$ or less. Or you can find used versions on eBay for 50$+ You will have to clean or poss paint if you buy used.

#8 posted 02-27-2017 07:00 AM

I love Veritus tools. Use their block plane all the time, I’ll have to take a look at the scraper.