JacPac CO2 Compressor - Very Good

Review by CharlieD posted 1938 days ago 4767 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JacPac CO2 Compressor - Very Good No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently, I bought the JacPac CO2 portable compressor product and it sat in my shop for a couple of months before I used it. I like it a lot and will use it a lot… going forward. It is very handy when you have to do work outside a location where you have a compressor or one with no electricity. I took it to a house where I needed to finish up a small job. I took my Bostitch 15 gauge angle nailer and 18 gauge PC. I took the 18 guage because I thought it might not drive the 2 inch 15 guage nails. However, I started with the big Bostitch and never had to put it down. To my surprise the little CO2 bottle drove and sunk nails just like an air compressor. It iis a very handy product and I highly recommend the product. Note – The CO2 bottle is shipped empty for safety. To fill the bottle go to any store that sells paintball products and you can get it filled. It costs just a couple of bucks to fill the tank, very cheap. Most of the big sports stores, Acadmey, etc. can refill a CO2 tank.

-- Charlie - Texas

View CharlieD's profile

CharlieD

#1 posted 1938 days ago

The question is.. a real world estimate of how many nails on a charge? And, is it rechargable using a plug in compressor? Now, if it would do a days work and recharge at home that would be a cool thing.

#2 posted 1938 days ago

I’m guessing that the pressure is a couple of thousands pds. So I don’t guess you can fill up at home.

#3 posted 1938 days ago

Yes, I just looked it up. It’s compressed with liquid CO2 so that negates our home compressors. Other people on other sites seem to like it just like you do. And for large nails they get something under a hundred hits. For smaller it goes up considerably.. 100-300. Not a bad idea. Thanks for the review/post. I’d never heard of this and it might come in handy some day.

#4 posted 1938 days ago

Did a little research.

At about 40 degrees Fahrenheit, CO2 has a vapor pressure of 600 psi. At 72 degrees F, it’s up to about 860. At about 80 degrees F, the CO2 vapor pressure rises to about 970 psi.

Thats if there is liquid in the tank. The difference in pressure is where the liquid CO2 starts to boil given it’s tempature.

I guess you could also use a CO2 fire extinguisher if you could get a regulator and hose hook up.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#5 posted 1938 days ago

Yes, but would the fire extinguisher be as easy to carry around?

#6 posted 1938 days ago

Probably not. but it would have a larger supply of gas.

Thats the trade offs I guess.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#7 posted 1937 days ago

My PC nail guns say never to use with bottled gasses…

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2006 days

#8 posted 1937 days ago

I’ve been using one of those for over a year. I’ve never gotten 200 – 300 shots even with small brads. Maybe mine has a small leak. Anyway, the first thing you should get is a spare tank because there’s no way of telling when it’s going to run out. Also get some extra o rings because one of mine started leaking and the tank was useless until replaced. The guy at the paint gun store gave me a dozen for free. Even with two tanks it won’t last all day. I use it only for small quick jobs needing only a few to a few dozen shots. To its credit, it will sink 15 gauge 2 1/2” finishing nails right up until the tank drops below 80psi. The quick setup and light weight are the main advantages. Anything requiring several hours of use and I bring out the compressor.

View doyoulikegumwood's profile

doyoulikegumwood

#9 posted 1937 days ago

this thing looks great being a paint baller tho i have to be troubled with co2 being used i stoped useing it on my my markers (paint ball guns) years ago due to the fact that with prolonged use it eats up the insides of the guns my suggestion or what i would do if i were going to use this product would be to get a high pressure compressed air tank for it you get it filled at the same place and they hold up to 5000 psi

-- I buy tools so i can make more money,so ican buy more tools so I can work more, to make more money, so I can buy more tool, so I can work more

View redbajabug's profile

redbajabug

6 posts in 2058 days

#10 posted 1934 days ago

Has anyone tried this with a framing gun?? I (used) to do a lot of real fast pickup framing were most of the time was spent rolling out power and air hose for a compressor, and was thinking about picking up one of these. If i could get 25 16ds drove it would be worth it to me.

#11 posted 1934 days ago

Red: After researching this from an interest generated by this thread, I found online that an actual user said 200-300 nails for finish and under a hundred for a framing nailer, which is what I think you’re talking about here right? The CO2 is liquid charged so it goes a longer way than our regular air compressors.

View WoodWrangler's profile

WoodWrangler

#12 posted 1929 days ago

I have one of these too and really like it. Works great, I get a lot of nails out of each tank and if you want you can upgrade tanks. So far, this is an A- in my book.

-- Jeremy, Bradenton, Florida

#13 posted 1928 days ago

I just saw one of these units being used on the PBS show ,This Old House Hour. They really liked it : )