Grizzly G1014Z 6x48 belt sander with 9" disc

Review by NY_Rocking_Chairs posted 04-06-2009 11:56 PM 9851 views 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G1014Z 6x48 belt sander with 9" disc No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As I get more and more into the model making side of wood-working I find I need to do some quick sanding and holding the ROS while trying to sand a small piece was getting aggravating.

So we stopped at the Grizzly showroom in Muncy, PA. They had both this sander and the smaller 4×36 belt sander. Needless to say the smaller one was out of stock and looked a little small and light for my needs, plus the G1014Z came with a stand.

I was forced to wait 5 days before even unpacking it since we picked it up on the way to Delaware and we just came home today. I unpacked it in the family room since the box weighs 122 lbs and I didn’t want to try and get that in the basement by myself.

So my 2 year old and I assembled the base in the family room. The only problem we encountered was that the holes in the legs for the rubber feet were too small, the 5/16” bolts would not go through them. So a quick touch-up with the drill and a 5/16” bit and they went through just fine. The directions are a little tough to decipher, the pics are not very close-up and we put the side pieces on the outside at first and then had to move them all the inside of the legs. Base was together in 10 minutes despite my son’s help.

Then I carried everything downstairs. Bolting the sander to the base was a piece of cake. It comes pre-wired at 110v but I already have 220 running everywhere for the table saw and band-saw so I might switch it over at some point.

Completed assembly without issue. Runs great. This sander has a lot of features like infinite angle adjustment of both the belt sander (from horizontal to vertical) and of the work surface for the disc sander, both dimensions. Also, the end plate is only held on by two thumb-knobs and comes off quickly and easy for angle sanding on the end of the belt.

Sander has a quick-release for the belt which works great. The belt walk adjustment was easy to adjust and the belt was easily dialed in.

The only drawback I found is the placement of the power switch. It is mounted on the bottom edge of the sander, underneath the one end of the belt sander part. I intend to install a push-button kill switch on the stand frame which puts it right at knee height, same as the table saw and router kill switches. $10 from Rockler.

All the bare-metal surfaces, like the disc and the disc work-surface come coated in Grizzly’s patented goo. So with the sander on I used a scraper to get most of it off the disc before applying the PSA disc. The sander comes with both a belt and a disc, both 100 grit.

-- Rich, WNY, www.nyrockingchairs.com

View NY_Rocking_Chairs's profile

NY_Rocking_Chairs

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#1 posted 04-07-2009 06:26 AM

I’ve had that sander on my list for awhile I think you did well!!!

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View kolwdwrkr's profile

kolwdwrkr

#2 posted 04-08-2009 09:35 AM

I bought this same sander and never could get the belt to track for the life of me. I adjusted that thing for hours. It got so bad it ate into the side of it. So I took the belt off and only used the disk for a while. I ended up selling it. I hope you have better luck then I did. I had the same problem with feed belt on the open end drum sander. Sold it too, but for other reasons. I did like that machine. Pout Pout.

-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~

View mmh's profile

mmh

#3 posted 04-09-2009 08:52 AM

Keep us updated on it’s performance. I need to get a larger one. I’m in sander envy.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe