Powermatic PM1000 one year in

Review by rizzo posted 01-17-2016 06:08 AM 8668 views 2 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powermatic PM1000 one year in Powermatic PM1000 one year in No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m writing this on the one year anniversary, to the day actually, of my tablesaw…. This was not intended, but as I am currently sitting at the Atlanta airport waiting for my flight home, I thought it a good opportunity to write my follow-up review.

One year ago today, I wrote an initial review of my saw, the review I wrote was solely about the purchase choice, delivery and setup. Here is the link to that review

Initial Review

The setup went great, with a very, very minor hiccup dealing with the installation of the side table extension. Beyond that, I have no complaints about the setup of the saw.

So my initial impression of the saw was great, but that was before any wood was run through it at all. That said, one year later how do I feel? Well.. 100% confident in my purchase decision! I couldn’t be happier with the saw. It was easy to dial in and the level of accuracy that it has provided me in my work has taken my projects to the next level. The tolerances this saw is able to maintain are incredible and can’t imagine how it could be any better. The blade is dead parallel to the miter slot and has remained that way after my initial setup. The Forrest blades (both rip, crosscut and dado stack) have performed beautifully, which is a testament more to the quality of the blades than that the saw, but a great blade is worthless on a inaccurate saw, so the package together has been amazing.

I have no idea how many board feet I have run through the saw, I have lost track, but it is a lot. I don’t run a production shop, and woodworking is my hobby, not my profession, but I am in my shop working on projects pretty much every other day.

I have had no issues with the saw throughout the last year and would highly recommend it to anyone interested or looking to take their work/shop up a notch. I have to admit that I was initially a bit skeptical as to whether or not I would regret my choice in not choosing a higher horsepower saw. I can say that in no way do I regret this choice. Everything I have thrown at this saw has cut like butter (I usually work in walnut, maple and oak).

The only addition I have made (which can be seen in the attached photo) is the addition of the router plate to my side table. I debated back and forth about building a standalone router table and am so happy that I added it to my table saw instead. It was very easy to install and being able to use my rip fence as the router fence has been wonderful (why not create a multi-tasker, right?).

The dust extraction works very well when connected to a dust extractor and there is almost no sawdust left in the cabinet due to the shroud that surrounds the blade area. The included low profile riving knife is a wonderful addition which is included. Its nice to have a low profile riving knife which enables non-through cuts to be made without removal.

The full guard and kickback finger assembly seems robust and nice, however I have never used them on this saw, opting instead to only use the riving knife, so I can’t really comment on its usability.

The arbor lock is a great feature, which keeps you from having to cram a scrap piece of wood between the blade and the table when making changes. Why don’t all table saws have this feature? Seems like a bad idea to be wedging something against the blade.

I can’t say enough about the fit, finish and performance of this saw. There are many great saws out there, and this is certainly one of them.

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

#1 posted 01-17-2016 08:42 PM

Thanks for the update. I have the same comments on my PM2000, just been a magnificent piece of equipment.

-- Smitty

#2 posted 01-17-2016 09:04 PM

Couldn’t agree more Smitty, I also see you wrote a review on the 14/12. I am in the process of writing that review as well. I’ve owned that bandsaw for about 9 months now I am in love with that saw as well.

View Palletjock's profile

Palletjock

#3 posted 01-18-2016 09:39 AM

Rizzo, I glad to hear about your choice and success with your table saw purchase. I too have just purchased my first “shop” tablesaw and I can only hope and pray that I have made a good decision in my purchase.
My purchase was a Grizzly GO575 which is no longer for sale or in production. I found it on Craig list and it is in excellent to new condition a real beauty.
The saw came with every and all the extras you can purchase for it and checking on line with Grizzly Co. if you were to buy today plus delivery, it would run you and easy $900 + ....... I purchased it from a contractor that had it in his shop and never really used it at all and was now retiring and moving from Ct out to Washington State.
I didn’t haggle over the asking price to much as I did my research on it purchase price and all the accessories and like I said, new with delivery would be a bit over $900 and he was asking $750, and seeing how new it was I made him an offer of $600.
He wanted to think about my offer and I wasn’t going up on it, but two days later he called and said it was mine for $600.
Now I don’t have my shop built yet, but when I do, I can only hope I have a saw as good as your.
I loved your story, thanks for the update

View JBrow's profile

JBrow

#4 posted 01-19-2016 06:20 PM

rizzo,

Good review.

I wonder whether Powermatic or any manufacturer, for that matter, who has enjoyed a reputation for high quality tools, might elect to compromise quality and ride on their reputation. Your review seems to suggest that Powermatic is still striving to produce quality equipment.

I have a Powermatic 66 that is 18 years old, used in my hobby. You stated that your PM1000 is accurate and holding its settings after a year. I performed maintenance on mine a few months ago. I squirted a little machine oil under the oil cap on the motor near the arbor. The original pulley set was fine. The blade is still parallel to miter slot and the fence parallel to the miter slot – these settings have never been adjusted. The fence slides smoothly and locks firmly. More amazing is that the PM 66 was moved across country twice.

Also, I use Forrest’s Woodworker II combination blade on both the table saw and radial arm saw. I agree that these blades cut quite well. Mine were just reconditioned and re-sharpened after about 10 years of use. I am considering a dado set upgrade and, based on your recommendation, I will give the Forrest dado set a close look.

Based on my experience, my guess is that you will continue to enjoy your new saw for years to come.

#5 posted 01-19-2016 11:25 PM

Nice

View Woodchuck2010's profile

Woodchuck2010

#6 posted 01-20-2016 02:04 AM

Awesome! I ordered one last Friday. They are on backorder and it will be shipped from Powermatic in the 1st or 2nd week of February. I can’t wait! I have a 23 year old Jet contractors saw that works ok, but I want solid accuracy.

-- Chuck, Michigan,

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#7 posted 01-20-2016 05:04 PM

Money spent on quality is never wasted.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View OggieOglethorpe's profile

OggieOglethorpe

#8 posted 01-21-2016 07:59 PM

Holy crap, that’s a clean shop…

#9 posted 01-21-2016 11:23 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Chuck, i think you will be really happy with the saw, at least i hope you are.. I too had a jet hybrid saw. It was part cabinet part contractor. It was a nice tool and served me well, but this saw has (as i said in my review) allowed a level of precision that i could not have imagined.

Brow- Forrest blades are the best for sure, the dado king is… well… the KING. It also costs a kings ransom.. but worth every penny (all 30,000 of them).

Yes, i keep a very clean shop.. its a OCD thing i guess. “always a clean space when everything’s in its place”

View GT350's profile

GT350

368 posts in 2068 days

#10 posted 01-27-2016 04:38 AM

I agree with OggieOglethorpe about the clean shop, mine is clean but all I can say about yours is WOW. Oh, I almost forgot, nice review and those are very nice saws. I looked at the Powermatic PM1000 and the Sawstop, I bought the Sawstop because of the safety but I sure liked the Powermatic also.
Mike

View Woodchuck2010's profile

Woodchuck2010

#11 posted 01-28-2016 09:19 PM

Hey rizzo. Do you have pics of the rest of the shop? I’m getting ideas for my basement shop.

-- Chuck, Michigan,

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

#12 posted 01-28-2016 09:30 PM

Does the PM1000 have the integrated mobile base like the PM2000?

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

32002 posts in 2953 days

#13 posted 01-28-2016 09:41 PM

I’ve had my PM2000 for 7 or 8 years and it has always performed beautifully and is very accurate and stable.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

#14 posted 02-01-2016 05:05 PM

chuck, I am traveling currently for work, however, i will take a few pictures when i get back.

View copythat's profile

copythat

#15 posted 10-06-2016 06:23 PM

Thank you for the update. I too am contemplating a purchase of the PM1000 but find myself hesitant because of the 1.75hp motor. I see that you opted for the larger fence. Do you think the 30” table is too small?

-- Rob