First Saw and Glad I Bought It

Review by Mookie posted 04-06-2009 02:38 AM 12653 views 2 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First Saw and Glad I Bought It No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first post and it’s about my first saw. I started woodworking a couple of years ago almost as a fluke. I bought a drill press because it was only $99 and from there I started buyng other power tools and suddenly discovered I really liked woodworking. I bought the Hitachi at Lowe’s after asking a guy at Woodcraft what he thought about the specs of the Hitachi for a beginner. I had no idea what or how much I would be cutting and $500 was a HUGE investment at the time. I am so happy with this saw, but only for beginner projects. As my knowledge, skill, and funding have all icreased over the past couple of years I am now shopping for my next and hopefully last saw. I’m pretty sure I’ll hold out for the new Delta Unisaw coming this spring. The Hitachi enabled me to cut everything I tried and although the microadjustment wheel on the fence doesn’t really work too well I have been able to easily align the fence manually. The fence is straight and true, locks firmly. The cuts have been accurate and true. Because of the relatively small supports to the left and right of the blade I have had to occasionally use rollers or other supports to assist in cutting large flat sheets, but overall I am quite pleased by the results. So far as the dust chute goes I don’t have a clue what the earlier complaint is about – mine works very well with only a Ridgid Wet/Dry Shopvac attached. I don’t know if I’ll keep the Hitachi or sell/donate it once I buy and intstall my new machine but I would not hesitate a second to recommend it to anyone with a tight budget and some (but not too much) patience in setting up the cut. And thanks to all of you who have posted reviews of the Powermatic PM2000 – Delta here I come.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 04-06-2009 02:51 AM

Sounds like a good saw. I’ve known other’s who are using the same saw with great results. This is a good saw even is you’re not a “beginner”

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#2 posted 04-06-2009 03:22 AM

I have a good friend that has one of these saws and really likes it. Nice saw for the money. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View BroDave's profile

BroDave

#3 posted 04-06-2009 01:03 PM

You would be amazed how smooth this saw runs when you use a link belt on it.
Brother and I have had this saw for a couple of years now and the only con was the rip capacity was only 24” on the right. I thought about upgrading to another saw but decided to give an aftermarket fence a try first.

I installed a Delta T36-30 from Lowes for $109.00 vs $400.00 for the Beismeir(sp?) anyway, looks like we are going to keep the old girl around for a while yet.

-- .

View steveosshop's profile

steveosshop

#4 posted 04-06-2009 10:44 PM

I was looking at these the last time I went to Lowes. I am glad to hear they are pretty good quality and worth the money.

-- Steve-o

View Emeralds's profile

Emeralds

#5 posted 04-07-2009 05:22 PM

If you have the room for a second TS it’s always a luxury to be able to have one unit loaded and setup with a dado set.

:)oe

-- JMP

View Mountain's profile

Mountain

7 posts in 1988 days

#6 posted 04-13-2009 09:12 PM

Don’t buy without looking at the grizzyy line. I found that you can get as much saw for less money. I have the G1023SL and it is a fine piece of machienery.

-- Sevitski

#7 posted 04-15-2009 03:07 AM

Hey folks – thanks for all of the responses and suggestions. I will look at the Grizzly. Because the Delta is soooo costly I’m not going to be making the purchase anytime earlier than possibly August. I’m open to any and all comments, but as I’m sure y’all know, everybody has his or her favorite label so this could go on forever. And BroDave – (coincidentally my name is actuallly Dave as well) I’m gonna try that link belt just for chuckles. Who know where this might go. I have reinforced my fence with particle board on the far (right) side of the fence and I use a couple of the Rockler Universal Fence Clamps to secusre another piece on the business side of the fence which also ascts as a featherboard to secure the material I’m cuttting. So far so good. And by the way y’all – I don’t get as much time on the computer as I do in the wood shop so forgive me if I dn’t respond quickly – but I do read all of the comments. Thanks again.

#8 posted 10-16-2009 01:53 AM

A couple of years back I bought this saw. It was on sale at Lowes and since we were also buying a refridgerator, I piggybacked on the delivery. There’s a lot to like about this saw. The finish of the saw is first-rate and it comes with an excellent blade and a decent fence. It was a fair value for the money.

Now for the “however” stuff…

The built-in casters were a constant source of frustration. They don’t provide enough lift which causes the legs to catch on floor high spots. They are flimsy and I was always tightening the nuts holding them in place.

The blade guard is fine, but to remove it, you have to loosen two bolts located about 5 inches below the surface of the throat opening. The opening has sharp edges and the result is a knuckle-busting, hand-skinning experience. As a result, I left it installed and gave up on non-through cuts.

The fence scale has windows for both the right and left side of the blade. But when you adjust it to read accurately on one side, the reading for the other side is almost an inch off.

I foolishly installed the included molded-plastic panel with the dust port between the bottom of the saw and the legs. The result was incredible buildup of sawdust inside the cabinet despite the fact that I use a 1.5HP dust collector. Cleaning this out was a very unpleasant experience as the only access is through the throat.

The final straw for me was that I was unable to adjust the trunion completely parallel to the miter slots. This was my second contractor-style saw and it was enough to convince me to sell it. I’ve done my last flat-on-my-back-sawdust-in-my-face trunion adjustment. I’ve been relying on my Shopsmith for the last year and am about to buy a proper cabinet saw.

#9 posted 10-16-2009 03:29 AM

Well bunkie i’m sorry you had such a bad experience. I admit that i didn’t try doing some of the things you had trouble with but the one’s I did try worked for me. However, I bought the new Delta Unisaw a few months ago and I never realized how much better a really good saw could be. What a wonderful piece of machinery!

#10 posted 10-16-2009 04:03 AM

The funny thing about listing all the negatives about something is that it sounds so one-sided. I guess that my issue is that since this was my third saw, I’d reached a point where my expectations were raised. For its price point (under $500 at the time I got it), the Hitachi is a fine saw. I’ve no doubt that, given a little effort, I could have addressed each of its issues, I just decided that, at this point in my life, I wanted to eliminate compromises.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that my comments really have more to do with the Hitachi not really being the saw for me rather than it being a bad saw, because it’s not. With a better blade guard and slightly better casters it would be a standout at this price point.

#11 posted 10-16-2009 04:34 AM

What he said!

View gardentiger's profile

gardentiger

#12 posted 04-19-2010 03:19 PM

does the hitachi now come with a riving knife???

#13 posted 04-19-2010 03:29 PM

Yeah, mine did. It had the riving knife and the anti-kickback grabber thingies.

View gardentiger's profile

gardentiger

#14 posted 04-21-2010 04:38 PM

you still like it? I heard a complaint about not being able to accept attchments from other brands etc. Been looking at this saw pretty hard. And what is a “link belt”?

#15 posted 04-22-2010 04:38 AM

A link belt is just what it sounds like. Instead of a single continuous loop, a link belt is made of sections that fit together (there’s a male end and a female end of each section). The sections are about two inches long. The advantage of a link belt is that it tends to absorb vibration better than a regular belt. A common upgrade for contractor saws is to replace the cast metal pulleys on the motor and arbor with machined metal pulleys (which are more true and will impart less vibration to the belt) and the aforementioned link belt. A number of resellers sell kits for the more popular contractor saws, but I’ve never seen one for the Hitachi. You can buy the belt separately, however.

I installed one of these kits on my Craftsman saw and it worked as advertised, the saw was smoother with the new pulleys and link belt.

Unless they’ve changed the C10FL, it doesn’t have a riving knife. It has a splitter with anti-kickback pawls. A true riving knife moves up and down with the blade. On my C10FL, the splitter supported the blade guard.