I finally made a decision on a saw.

Review by Ken90712 posted 01-16-2016 05:00 PM 6355 views 0 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I finally made a decision on a saw. I finally made a decision on a saw. I finally made a decision on a saw. Click the pictures to enlarge them

As a few of you know I have been on the fence so to speak on getting a new saw for some time now. I read and read and read on which one to get. I had it narrowed down to this and a Sawstop. We all know about the great safety features on the SS. They also build a great saw. However I finally made a decision on the Grizzly G0690 3hp 220 volt with the cast iron router table extension. I have a small shop so the router table is a no brainer for me.

Money was somewhat a consideration although not the main factor. If I went with the SS and did a router table and paid the extra 250 fee I was approaching 3800. Grizzly saw with everything 2400. Blondie was fine with either saw I wanted. I get the safety features as I have worked in aircraft maintenance for over 30 yrs. However situational awareness is a big key in woodworking and in the dangers of my job..

I received the saw 3 weeks before Christmas and have used it alot of hours now. I’ve made 10 cutting boards and been working on Blondie’s China cabinet…It came packaged well, shipping was really quick. I ordered it on line Sunday it was here in Los Angeles on Thurs from Washington. I set up a time for them on Friday as my days off are fri, sat, sun. Assembly took me and my buddy about 5 hours . It went together well, no real issues to speak off. A little small tweaking with the 45 degree stop is all. Fence, runout, miter slots all Ck good. It is heavy, almost 400 pounds. The rack and pinion trunion on works well and is smooth.

One thing I found odd is if you get the router extension they have you illuminate the cast iron wing from the saw. I found that odd and thought why waste it. So I drilled and tapped holes and put mounted it on the end of the table. This did create a different feeling using the router table as the bit was a few more inches away than my last table. I’ve used the router table alot making doors and feel that was a solid purchase as well.

The saw has worked perfectly, love having a 3 hp saw especially when cutting 8/4 maple, paduak and purple heart. The only thing I think that could improve is the dust collection. I did know about this issue before hand from other reviews. The bottom of the cabinet fills and stores dust until it reaches the hose opening on the side then it never goes higher. So there is always 4 or 5 inches of saw dust inside. I also would have rather seen the dust port opening on the left or back of the saw. I considered moving it but haven’t had time to tackle that and hate the thought of cutting into the new cabinet.

I built my own base, bought some metal and casters and mounts. Cost me out 80 bucks for everything. It allowed me to break out my welder and make some sparks. I built a small cabinet from scraps in the shop for storage as well. I have made a cpl zero clearance throat plates for different set ups. I have always wanted a biesemeyer style fence and really love this thing.

Overall great saw for the money and I’m very happy I made the jump. Hope this helps.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#1 posted 01-16-2016 05:16 PM

Welcome to the 690 club, I’ve had mine now for a few years and reall like everything about it except the dust collection part that you’ve pointed out. The first thing I built were a few zero clearance blanks and I’m still using years later. Another issue is you’ll have to stay on top of is lubeing the gears as they will start to bid up making for a hard adjustments. But over all a real work horse, it’s been cutting true since the day I open the boxs. Have fun and work safe…Blackc herry

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 01-16-2016 05:16 PM

Enjoy!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#3 posted 01-16-2016 05:31 PM

Looks like a VERY GOOD table saw…

SS is good… but, as you say…

Safety is something that MUST be practiced so it’s 2nd nature & is ALWAYS of the highest priority.

I think you can survive! You have been around the block a time or two… :)

COOL setup!

-- The Old Rednek Workshop https://www.facebook.com/theoldrednekworkshoptn

View fuzzface's profile

fuzzface

#5 posted 01-16-2016 09:07 PM

Congrats on the new saw. I purchased the G0691 [same saw with an extension table] in 2013, and have had zero problems with it. Same problem as others with the dust collection, but I can live with 2 inches of sawdust in the bottom. If you cut a lot of plywood, you might want to consider their outfeed roller table that attaches to the back side. Makes life a lot easier. Enjoy.

-- I'm a LumberJock and I'm OK.............. I sleep all night and I work all day !!

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#6 posted 01-16-2016 09:34 PM

I agree the dust port on the right side would not be my favorite. I would rather have a cabinet there to hold accessories.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View  woodshaver Tony C   's profile

woodshaver Tony C

#8 posted 01-17-2016 12:36 AM

Super Nice! Congrats!

-- St Augustine FL, Experience is the sum of our mistakes!

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#9 posted 01-17-2016 01:50 AM

Nice review. I moved the dust port on my Grizz to the left side. Cutting the hole in the cabinet was no problem but taking the floor of the cab out and getting it tilted to the left was a bit tedious. But I’m glad I did it before I tripped over that 4” hose.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

#10 posted 01-17-2016 01:56 AM

I have the GO691 with the melamine extension and absolutely love it. I’m wondering about putting a router table extension on the left side of mine. I know I’d have to remove the router bit when work extends significantly out that side and utilizing the miter gauge or sled etc. What do you think?

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@outlook.com

View jeff's profile

jeff

#11 posted 01-17-2016 02:50 AM

Congrats.I like how you built your own base for your saw.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

#12 posted 01-17-2016 04:15 AM

Congrats, nice saw, wonderful job on the mobile base

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Picken5's profile

Picken5

#13 posted 01-17-2016 04:43 AM

Congrats, Ken. I got my 690 back in July and I absolutely love it. Like you, I’ve wanted a cabinet saw with a biesmeyer style fence for a long time — and now we both have one. Good write-up. Thanks!

-- Howard - "Time spent making sawdust is not deducted from one's lifetime." - old Scottish proverb

View Roger's profile

20688 posts in 2438 days

#14 posted 01-18-2016 12:59 PM

Congrats on your new toy. It looks like a beasty of a table saw. Thnx for your review and thoughts as well. I think Grizzly, as a company has been improving the quality of their equipment quite a bit these past years. I know you’ll be pumping out some nice projects with your new beast

View Bob A in NJ's profile

Bob A in NJ

#15 posted 01-20-2016 08:44 PM

I have this saw also and very happy with the power, router table extension and riving knife features. Agree the dust collection is poor and I have given up trying dust collection tubes, I just clean the cabinet when it’s full. Had a weird thing happen a week ago. one of the cotter pins came out on the motor mount pins but was an easy fix.

Overall, very happy with this tool, its the main one in my shop.

-- Bob A in NJ