Makita 4351FCT Whatajigsaw!!

Review by matt garcia posted 04-05-2009 10:28 PM 9225 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita 4351FCT Whatajigsaw!! Makita 4351FCT Whatajigsaw!! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know there are a lot of Bosch lovers out there, but I took a chance on this jigsaw and man did it pay off! The website indicated it was 40% less vibration than other brands. When I received it, and chucked up one of the new Starrett Dual-Cut blades and turned it on, you could barely feel any vibration. What a huge improvement over the POS Craftsman jigsaw I received as a gift a few years ago.

This saw, in unison with the new Starrett blade yielded splinter free cuts on 3/4” oak veneer plywood. The cut was so effortless, that I am contemplating using it on decorative cuts on my next project that calls for them instead of my bandsaw. It has a 6.3 amp motor, and is illuminated in the front with a bright white LED.

My apologies for the less than crystal clear image of the cut.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#1 posted 04-06-2009 12:02 AM

Sounds like you got a nice tool, I order me a Freud JK85 6 amp jigsaw.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#2 posted 04-06-2009 12:56 AM

Thanks for the review..I was thinking of buying the Bosch that everyone raves about…I will have to check this one out first!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

#3 posted 04-06-2009 01:36 AM

I really like a barrel grip jigsaw, looks like you found a nice one. I purchased a Hilti barrel grip about a year ago and it works like a charm.

I love Makita tools. Thanks for the nice review.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#4 posted 04-06-2009 02:54 AM

Looks like a nice saw. I’m in the market for a barrel grip one, and am thinking about the bosch. This looks like a nice competitor – any mechanism to keep the blade ridgid and straight like the bosch? does the blade have a tendency to flex?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Eddy's profile

Eddy

25 posts in 2056 days

#5 posted 04-06-2009 06:28 AM

I have Makita cordless and they are great. I have the Bosch jigsaw though I really like it. If you buy the Bosch make sure its the one that spits the blades for easy change.

-- Edward

View bensaw's profile

bensaw

#6 posted 04-06-2009 08:17 PM

Whoa!
I thought the only thing which would give me splinter-free cuts is my EZ-System track system. (Not an advertisement, I just love it. Hope to do a review soon.)
I’ve got to get this on the wishlist!!
Thanks for the post!

#7 posted 04-07-2009 04:23 AM

PurpLev, this saw has a spring loaded retainer ring that locks the blade in place. It has the thrust roller behind the blade. While I was playing around with it, I never experienced any blade flex. I did start out slow, though.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#8 posted 04-07-2009 04:49 AM

Thanks Matt. looks pretty sweet, and that is one clean cut line indeed! :o) congrats!

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#9 posted 04-07-2009 10:09 AM

Looks impressive but with the handle like that I don’it think it fits my small palm.
Thanks for sharing.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#10 posted 04-07-2009 11:51 PM

I have the Bosch barrel grip. I love the saw. It is a fantastic machine, and if I am lucky, it will be the last that I buy. That being said, I would have liked to compare it to the Makita. They have a great reputation. I hope you are very happy with your purchase. Can I be rude, and ask what you paid?

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

#11 posted 04-08-2009 04:41 AM

I paid $163.00 for it. Here is the link:

View Hacksaw's profile

Hacksaw

184 posts in 2072 days

#12 posted 04-29-2009 05:24 PM

Mkita getas a bad rap from a lot of guys.I myself don’t think anyone makes a better drill(not the home center makitas though)Nice to see they are building other good stuff.If I ever burn up my Bosch i’ll have to take a look at it…then again I have a D handle Bosch so maybe I need a Makita auto scroller(barrel grip)

-- Nothing's impossible...it just gets expensive