Bosch 1297DK

Review by bensaw posted 1838 days ago 3811 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch 1297DK No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up this sander last night at Lowe’s for $52. Seemed a little sturdier than the bargain basement ones from Black and Decker and Skil. The sander seemed stable and was coformtable in my hand so I brought it home.

The ROS20VSK from Bosch already has a review here on Lumberjocks. In fact, that review is what sealed the deal when I was at the store. I wanted to see if the experience of this sander would be the same as the ROS20VSK. I don’t know the relationship between the 1297DK and the ROS20VSK. The ROS20VSK seems to be variable speed.

Took the box home and cracked it open. Comes with a sturdy carrying bag, punch plate, and not much else. The only thing on hand to test it out on is a project with a few pieces of select pine waiting to be sanded. As is customary when I work with this stuff, I had scracthed the heck out of it while handling for cutting and shaping. It’s really hard to avoid doing this since it’s so darn soft. I needed to get these dings and scratches out so that I could stain the peices.

I picked up some 220 grit sandpaper while at the store and I was easily able to attach a sheet to the clamping system on the bottom of the sander. The clamping system has a roller on the back clip which pulls the sandpaper tight as you lock the clip. This worked great with no hassle. Sandpaper was smooth and tight across the base.

Went to work on the pine. As suspected, the sander has very little vibration. I don’t think my hand would get numb even if using it for hours. All total I probably used it for about 35 minutes last night. Felt good. Worked good.

Dust collection was great. Only very fine dust was left on the surface of the pine. Noise was pretty quiet. Somewhere between my milwaukee circular saw (which is VERY quiest) and my Rigid shop vac.(pretty loud)
It didn’t wake up the wife or kids though, so that’s a plus.

In the other Bosch sander review the poster said that he felt the sander might be a little underpowered. This certainly wouldn’t show itself sanding out unfinished pine. But I can see how that might be the case with this sander as well. I didn’t think the on/off button was “mushy” as the other poster said. This seems to be a rubber cover over the switch to keep dust out. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Between the nice price point, the dust collection, smooth operation, good noise level, comfortable feel, low vibration….I’d say this one is a winner.

View bensaw's profile

bensaw

50 posts in 1958 days

I agree that this is a nice sander. I have one of these and have used it for a couple of years now. The only problem I have had with it is the plastic liner on the rear clip holds sandpaper in the sander solely by friction. The liner on mine has worn down and it will no longer hold sandpaper. I have not bothered to find a replacement yet as I have a ROS available. But I have been pleased with the performance of this sander.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

is it possible to connect this to a dust collector/shop vac? or only using it’s built in bag? (looks like a square connection)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View woodnut's profile

woodnut

I have this same sander and like it alot, you may already know this but the filter box does come apart so you can clean the filter inside. I only mentioned this becouse it took me awhile to figure this out and thought it may help someone else.

-- F.Little

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

My mom has one of these and brought it over to help me refinish some deck chairs.

This Bosch unit is way smoother than my Dewalt palm sander. The paper changing system is superior and easy use. The paper goes on tight.

The dust collection is decent as well. Boss sells an adapter for it that hooks it up to a festool or bosch hose. The bosch hose is worthless. The adapter fits their ROS as well.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

I agree with the review. This is a great little sander. Unless I have a large flat surface to sand, I grab this sander before my DeWalt Orbital. Probably the easiest paper change of all the 1/4 sheet sanders out there.

I believe the hose adapter that comes with it will match up to a 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 inch hose.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”