Lithonia T8 shop lights

Review by ic3ss posted 01-12-2016 04:45 AM 3067 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lithonia T8 shop lights Lithonia T8 shop lights Lithonia T8 shop lights Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my second attempt at shop lighting. I had picked up an LED fixture a couple of weeks ago but was generally unimpressed with light output and color. My review is here

I took it back and ordered three of this fixture at HD, they delivered free to my house if I ordered three. At $22 per I figured I couldn’t go wrong. Well I got the three put up and bought some tubes for them I wanted to experiment a little with the color. All tubes are 2900 lumen at 32 watts. I bought two 5000K and four 4100K. I thought I wanted a whiter light than the 4000K of the LED fixture, but it seems that I like the color of the 4100K lights better when I see them side by side. I have the 4100K over the bench and the 5000KJ is over the lathe. I was working with a piece of maple and I noticed it looked rather bleached out under the 5000K light, and under the 4100K it seems to look “normal”, whatever that is but it just looked better to my eye.

The pictures of my shop here compared to the one I took with the LED fixture show a huge difference but I only had one of the LED fixtures and this is with three close together.

I also did some extensive wiring in the shop to accommodate these. I installed three duplex outlets in the ceiling because the lights have a plug end. I figure if I decide later I don’t like these I can just unplug them and get something else without having to do any wiring or get into the attic again. I’m getting old! At least I feel that way.

Well, I’m pretty happy with these so far. This is a pretty worthwhile investment in my shop.

View recycle1943's profile

recycle1943

#1 posted 01-12-2016 12:01 PM

just my observation and mho -

it appears that your shop is under-lit in that I see shadows everywhere, I’m guessing you are going to install more lighting ?

Personally, I’m sold on the 5000kelvin 48” led from earthled.com and I’m using the Thinklux brand.

I replaced 3 – 8’ HO fixtures in my shop with 12 strategically placed 4’ – 5000K tubes @2 tubes per fixture. They are 18 watts @1900 lumens. Did away with all of the ballasts, wired direct to 3 way switches and couldn’t be happier with the results.

see my blog http://lumberjocks.com/recycle1943/blog

-- Dick, Malvern Ohio - my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells my toys for what I told her I paid for them

View bkseitz's profile

bkseitz

#2 posted 01-12-2016 05:29 PM

I’ve bought the (4) blub T-8 fixtures for my shop. Really happy with these. I’ve a steel barn with high ceilings so hanging a row of these with chains has worked out nicely

-- bkseitz, Washington "if everything is going well, you've obviously overlooked something"

#3 posted 01-13-2016 01:20 AM

Yea, i still need to buy four more, maybe next month. But for now I can work at my bench and see what I’m doing.

View Dan Krager's profile

Dan Krager

#4 posted 01-13-2016 04:12 PM

Yes, I noticed the shadows too. When I was shopping for shop lights years ago the salesman at an industrial outlet did his best to sell me the 6 tube high bay lights (for a 10’ ceiling). He just could not understand my concern about shadows. Until I have to replace them, I’m happy with the HO 96” T12, and I’m facing that now. Thank you for the information.
DanK

-- Dan Krager, Olney IL http://www.kragerwoodworking.weebly.com Instructions are that which will be read as a last resort.

View Albert's profile

Albert

#5 posted 01-13-2016 04:22 PM

Thanks for the review. If you are a Costco member they have a complete fixture with two bulbs for $29. 38Watts. 3700 Lumen , 4000 Kelvin.
It is a plug in type and has a pull chain on/off. I like it a lot, seems bright and easy to install. I have two and will install more. Prices for all these LED products are falling fast and a year from now this will seem expensive but I can’t wait.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#6 posted 01-13-2016 08:28 PM

Great topic- how many of us have gone through the trials & tribulation of proper illumination? This review and comments are informative.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View Trevor Roth's profile

Trevor Roth

#7 posted 01-14-2016 05:21 AM

If you think t8s are good wait till you try t5s.

#8 posted 01-14-2016 11:48 PM

I like how bright the T5s are, to me the price point is just not worth it to me.

#9 posted 01-17-2016 04:22 AM

Congrats on the new lights, I agree with what is available at earthled.com. This spring, I will be updating my lighting

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.