Grizzly G0771 Comprehensive Guide

Review by ThomasLightle posted 01-11-2016 08:50 PM 7506 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0771 Comprehensive Guide No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got my Grizzly G0771 Table Saw in May 2015 and have been documenting my journey with it on YouTube ever since. If you are interested in what this saw has to offer, check out my videos below:

Unboxing
Unboxing of my new Grizzly G0771 table saw. This is a huge upgrade for my shop. Up until this point I have been using a portable Craftsman table saw that was adequate for construction, but lacking many features of even the most basic contractor saws, let alone hybrid saws such as this one.

Setup
In this video I go through all the steps I took to set up the saw to my liking. I talk about my first impressions at the end of the video.

Review
After about 6 months of heavy use, I am now ready to give my impressions on the Grizzly G0771 Table saw. Let me know what you think I should have included.

Recall
Shortly after I bought my table saw, Grizzly issued a recall stating that I should discontinue use until they figure out a solution to an unknown problem. Eventually they did get a solution to me, in the form of an upgraded arbor pulley. I followed the provided instructions, and decided to film it along with my impressions.

Tune-Up
I think this will be the last video of my Grizzly G0771 adjustments/upgrades. When I first reviewed my saw, I noticed the blade was about .010” off parallel. I wasn’t sure if it was an acceptable amount of error, so I decided to try to true it up. It turned out to be an easy adjustment on this particular saw. Thanks for stopping by!

-- Thom

View ThomasLightle's profile

ThomasLightle

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#1 posted 01-13-2016 01:04 PM

What is a hybrid table saw? The term implies two, or more, things being combined in some way. What are the things that comprise a hybrid TS?

Thanks.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#2 posted 01-13-2016 01:41 PM

Jimintx, historically stationary table saws came in two different styles. A contractor’s saw and a cabinet saw.

Contractors saws hung the blade arbor along with all of the hardware to raise & lower the blade and tilt to the side from the top of the table. This assembly is called the trunnion. The disadvantage to this method is when the blade needs to be aligned with the miter gauge slots in the table. In many cases the blade would tip towards the fence and this can cause safety problems with wood being trapped between the blade and the fence. Also some cuts were harder to make.

A cabinet saw is usually a more powerful and heavier saw. The trunnion is mounted to the cabinet and the table is simply bolted to the cabinet. This makes alignment easier. Also in most (all ?) cases the blade tips away from the fence for angled cuts.

Hope this helps.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View ThomasLightle's profile

ThomasLightle

#3 posted 01-13-2016 06:05 PM

Yes, a hybrid saw usually has a mixture of features from both areas. Those particular mixtures can vary from brand to brand, but usually include some form of stationary stand (with or without wheels), cast-iron top, and 2 HP or less motor, wired for 110v. This is the first hybrid saw I have come across that has the trunnions mounted to the cabinet. I sometimes feel that Grizzly undersells the G0771 as a hybrid because really it is an entry-level cabinet saw. All the other hybrid and contractor saws in the same price range don’t have this number of features. Really the only thing that sets it apart from the big boys are the motor size (I was able to at least convert mine to 220v – instructions are included in the manual) and the light total weight of the machine (less than 300 lbs. even with 2 cast iron extensions!).

-- Thom