Ceiling Shop Lights

Review by Roger posted 01-11-2016 12:09 AM 4033 views 3 times favorited 38 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ceiling Shop Lights Ceiling Shop Lights Ceiling Shop Lights Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been picking a few of these up from Rural King for the past few months, because they were originally 40 bux, and they’ll be on sale until the 23rd of this month, Jan, 2016, for 20bux. A “few” amounts to 24, which is a bunch o greenbacks, but, like I said, I’ve been getting them a little at a time. Anyhoo, I know these pictures will not do justice of how fricking bright these units are. While in the store, Rural King, they had them on an endcap with 2 of them together, and I was thinking, hummm, I don’t know if these look very bright here, but, then I was thinking like Uncle Si would for a second and I said, “hey Jack”!, why not just get a few and see how it goes. Well, U. Si was right. I like them a lot. I almost have to wear some sunglasses in my shop now. I do still have a few florescent lights around the perimeter. I will say I like them. LED is the way to go. After installing these in my shop, I hit up Lowes and changed out all of those stupid CFL bulbs that we had in everything that need one, with 60 watt. LED bulbs as well. They are a different company, but, you get the idea. Here is the link for the ones I bought for the house: http://www.lowes.com/pd_740058-43921-YGA03A41-A19-9W-830_0__?productId=50423208&Ntt= I think this sort of thing will help me a lot. I like it as bright as I can get when I’m fiddling around in the shop. Plus, now I can wing an 8’ board or a sheet of plywood around and I don’t have to worry about hitting any lights that used to hang down from the ceiling. Sorry bout the rambling. Anyhoo, 2, these are very light, bright, and easy to install. You can plug in 12 of these in a row, if you have a straight run that long. They worked out well for me because when I did my ceiling wiring, I just installed receptacles so when a light went bad, I’d just unplug it and get a new one. These pull very very little watts, don’t get hot, and they are bright bright bright. For 20bux. they can’t be beat, I don’t think. I hope this will help someone who may be building a shop, or even doing a shop “re-do”.

#1 posted 01-11-2016 12:10 AM

Whoops, I did forget to mention, and I’m sorry, but, they are made in China

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

#2 posted 01-11-2016 12:14 AM

I have LED lights throughout my shop. I agree, it’s the only way to go.

-- Nature created it, I just assemble it.

View PASs's profile

PASs

#3 posted 01-11-2016 12:30 AM

I got a couple of LED shop lights at Sam’s Club.
I got them on mark down at about $30 each from $40 regular price.
They look like 4 foot double bulb hanging shop lights.
Same as you, I don’t worry about something coming off the lathe and whacking a glass bulb just over my head.

-- Pete, "It isn't broken, you just aren't using it right."

View recycle1943's profile

recycle1943

#4 posted 01-11-2016 12:34 AM

Roger,
I replaced my 8’ ho lamps in my shop with 4’ 5000 kelvin led lamps. Straight 120 volt, no ballast and $14.39 per tube. I bought all of mine from earthled.com and have replaced all of the bulbs in the house with led’s. They had replacement bulbs ( again 5000 kelvin) for $3.99 and free shipping
Huge difference -

-- Dick, Malvern Ohio - my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells my toys for what I told her I paid for them

View hunter71's profile

hunter71

#5 posted 01-11-2016 01:09 AM

I am also converting to LED’s. My carving bench was first and I love them.

-- A childs smile is payment enough.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

7379 posts in 2036 days

#6 posted 01-11-2016 02:04 AM

These look like a good buy. I checked the nearest store by me and unfortunately they are not on sale here. I need to brighten up a couple areas for the old guy.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View lew's profile

lew

12051 posts in 3748 days

#7 posted 01-11-2016 02:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Roger! I need to make the switch from fluorescence.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Boxguy's profile

Boxguy

#8 posted 01-11-2016 03:02 AM

Roger, thanks for this tip. We all need more light for our eyes as we age. I may have to stop by Rural King.

-- Big Al in IN

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#9 posted 01-11-2016 03:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I’ve been thinking about making the conversion to LED lighting, but just replaced half dozen ballasts, so still in consideration stage.

View UncleStumpy's profile

UncleStumpy

#10 posted 01-11-2016 03:33 AM

24 sets? Are you trying to attract alien spacecraft?

-- "They don't want it perfect - they want it SPECIAL"

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#11 posted 01-11-2016 04:38 AM

Roger…. Is this what you got at Rural King?

Incidentally, it looks like you can Order the stuff here and they will ship it to you at very reasonable rates.

DoubleDD... check this out… They are On Sale here…

View roofner's profile

roofner

#12 posted 01-11-2016 06:25 AM

They work in a t8 light fixture without modification?

View poospleasures's profile

poospleasures

#13 posted 01-11-2016 11:46 AM

That’s the way to go Roger. Due to advice from our buddy Recycle1943 I redid my 4foot fixtures by removing the ballasts and installing new tombstones then installing Led tubes. WOW what a difference the nice bright white light makes for these 73yr old eyes. Most times don,t have to turn on task lighting. I,m still jealous of your nice big shop.
C-ya

-- I,ve had amnesia for as long as I can remember. Vernon

#14 posted 01-11-2016 11:50 AM

Hey folks. Thnx Dick for that info about earthled.com. That looks interesting.

UncleStumps: LOL!!.That’s what I said to myself after I turned them all on.

roofner: I’m not sure I understand what you mean, but, these are single tube units that plug into each other if you want one continuous light. Here is the link that Joe found: http://www.ruralking.com/4ft-integrated-t8-tube.html Each one is 4’ long. Each unit has 2 clips that screw into the ceiling, wall, or wherever you want to put it, then snap into the clips to be held in place. They are super lightweight. I used very small, and short self tapping screws to hold clips to the ceiling.

View Albert's profile

Albert

#15 posted 01-11-2016 04:03 PM

I’m not sure but Amazon has some similar for $15 each, with free shipping if you are a Prime member. they are 2250 Lumens which would be brighter for less money? I ordered one to see how it would work out. (kind of like Uncle Si). I have one of the two bulb fixtures from Costco ($29) that I like a lot also.

Check out http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014QAD1SW?dpID=31P2bnyehcL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR160%2C160_&refRID=877N4WCRV5RHEJY7MTCB&ref_=pd_lutyp_im_1_1