Perfect broom for cleaning up the shop

Review by GaryK posted 04-03-2009 01:44 AM 5364 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Perfect broom for cleaning up the shop Perfect broom for cleaning up the shop Perfect broom for cleaning up the shop Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not exactly a woodworking tool, but a tool for the shop that everyone needs.

Tired of getting the sawdust out of tight spaces? These little brooms do an amazing job.

In Tagalog they are called a “Walis tambo”, and you can pick them up in most Asian stores and probably Pier 1 Imports.

As far as I know they only come in the longer version, so I just cut one down to use on the bench or tablesaw.

They get into the tightest places, behind, under and around things. They are perfect for cleaning up around the perimeter of the shop and around fixed objects. Once everything is in the middle of the floor is real fast to use the push broom.

These are very light and you can use them with one hand. This allows you to move objects with the other hand. Flat and push brooms both take two hands.

I have been using them for years and I was just in the shop cleaning up when I thought that it’s probably something that most of my fellow lumberjocks didn’t know about, hence this post.

They only cost from $2-$5 and are worth every cent.

Here’s a little video showing just how nice it works:

View GaryK's profile

-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#4 posted 04-03-2009 02:18 AM

Exactly what I have been looking for.

Thanks Gary.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#5 posted 04-03-2009 02:26 AM

Nice brush…

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:"

#6 posted 04-03-2009 02:31 AM

The floor is too clean Gary.

Nice brush.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia †

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#7 posted 04-03-2009 04:10 AM

great tip .. I’ll keep my eye’s open for one

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View kiwi1969's profile

#8 posted 04-03-2009 04:10 AM

Gary we spent years trying to convert filipinos to western style flat brooms. It was a total failure! my only criticism is these tend to flick fine dust up in the air which just settles back where it came from. Fine on chips and pine shavings but terrible for some tropical hardwood dust.

-- if the hand is not working it is not a pure hand

View GaryK's profile

#9 posted 04-03-2009 04:19 AM

kiwi – No broom in the world doesn’t kick up the fine dust. Only a damp cloth or vacuum will totally eliminate that.

I haven’t really had that problem though. Maybe it’s a matter of technique.

Bentlyj – Karson – I did say that I was cleaning the shop when I thought to post these. Of course the floor is clean. :-)

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#10 posted 04-03-2009 06:37 AM

Great tip, and the price is right! Thanks, Gary.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View degoose's profile

#11 posted 04-03-2009 11:49 AM

Another tool for the apprentice hey!!

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ For lovers of all things timber...

View Mark Gipson's profile

Mark Gipson

#12 posted 04-05-2009 01:52 AM

I use brooms like this in Thailand all the time for the shop and house, if you can find one they are well worth buying.

#13 posted 04-05-2009 04:53 AM

Thanks Gary : )

View ND2ELK's profile

#14 posted 04-05-2009 06:36 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks like would do a good job. Thanks for posting.

God Bless

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View sharad's profile

#15 posted 04-11-2009 07:58 PM

During my trip to Kualalampur and Singapur last April I was bent on bringing the brooms for which I was called mad by my family members and friends. I purchased four of them and made a rather odd looking package as the brooms are long and cannot be folded. On arrival home the custom officers were looking with awe at this packet and said they have never seen anybody bringing such goods. When I showed the utility of these brooms to those who scoffed at me, they were sorry for rediculing me. These brooms are really very convenient as you can sweep clean standing. Gary, what you have written above is true. This is a very useful tool in the workshop. I am at ease after seeing this post. The four brooms cost me only US$ 4 .

-- “If someone feels that they had never made a mistake in their life, then it means they have never tried a new thing in their life”.-Albert Einstein