Made the switch

Review by bayspt posted 04-02-2009 06:43 AM 6136 views 1 time favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Made the switch No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After using almost a whole tub (1lb) of SC Johnson paste wax in the last year or so, I caught Renaissance wax on sale at Woodcraft this month and reluctantly bought a can. I say reluctantly since the street price of this stuff is 26 bucks for 200ml or 7 fl. OZ. Little can for 26 or big ole pounder for 8. Ability to buy at Borg or local department store (blue, biggest in the world) or have to buy at specialty shops or order online. You can see my apprehension. But after the rave reviews buy Marc, over at TWW I took the plunge. I will never look back. I came home with my purchase and started waxing things in the shop. Didn’t stop for like 2 hours. Everything in the shop has a nice new coat of wax. The directions say “Apply sparingly with a soft cloth and buff gently. Dries hard instantly” They don’t lie. It’s that easy. Soft cloth, touch the wax in the can, rub on surface grab clean rag and wipe off. Doesn’t take much and what you do get on the rag goes a long way. No waiting for it to dry, no endless buffing trying to get out the swirl marks, (hey I like my wax job to look good to, not just protect and slicken (yes that is a word I just made it up)) So I sum up by saying I am not displeased at all with the price since the amount used is much less and the results are a much higher quality. I have a piece of 3/4 MDF that I have sized using wood glue and water, to use as an assembly table on top of my table saw (small shop what can I say) you should look at the shine on that puppy, and see how the glue wipes off when wet and scrapes off when dry. It’s beautiful. I haven’t finished any projects with it but I might give it a try in the future.

-- Jimmy, Oklahoma "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear!"

View Todd Thomas 's profile

Todd Thomas

#1 posted 04-02-2009 12:32 PM

thanks for the review..I have been looking at this as well…...

-- Todd, Oak Ridge, TN, Hello my name is Todd and I'm a Toolholic, I bought my last tool 10 days, no 4 days, oh heck I bought a tool on the way here! †

#2 posted 04-02-2009 01:05 PM

Thanks for the review. I have used this as well and I like it more than the furniture wax that I have used in the past. I agree that it is a little pricey when you first look at it but a little bit does go a long way. It is easy to apply and, as you mentioned, I use it on all my cast iron tools.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#3 posted 04-02-2009 03:14 PM

Works pretty well as a final “sheen adjuster” after rubbing out clear-coat finishes on pale woods. It’s my go-to over shellac on figured maple. Still working my first little jar – and I to use it to protect cast iron tables, plane soles – after two years. A little dab ‘ll do ya!

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Gary's profile

Gary

#4 posted 04-02-2009 08:54 PM

Boy, Doug…a little dab’ll do ya??? You just aged yourself,bad

-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#5 posted 04-02-2009 09:21 PM

Oh yeah! A Shave and a Hair Cut …two bits…

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View badger's profile

badger

62 posts in 2097 days

#6 posted 04-02-2009 09:49 PM

I use it for a final coat on top of some of my lathe turned projects, as a final barrier.

-- "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." -- Jango Fett

#7 posted 04-02-2009 09:54 PM

Maybe Doug helped design the stuff! ;P

View jeh412's profile

jeh412

#8 posted 04-02-2009 11:09 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ll have to try a can … almost out of wax anyway. If there’s less buffing involved, I’m all for it!

-- John, co-owner Sawdust 'n Stitches

View FlWoodRat's profile

FlWoodRat

#9 posted 04-03-2009 01:17 AM

hmmm, maybe I can use it on my head…....

-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning....

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#10 posted 04-03-2009 03:06 PM

I believe the good Lord aged me, and it is bad…but the alternative is so much worse that I’m grateful. What the heck, you fellas are old enough to recognize the catch phrase…:^D

BTW if anyone knows where I can get a shave and a haircut for two bits in Omaha, I’m interested – but they have to have Popular Mechanics and Argosy in the magazine rack

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

#11 posted 04-03-2009 03:46 PM

My guy in Oklahoma has woodcraft magazine on the rack. Now I just have to talk to him about the two bits thing. Seems he wants more like 80 bits. Would that make it 8 bytes? I gotta get them in while it still can Doug. The big 30 is comming up so I won’t be able to say I’m a 20 something anymore.

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

#12 posted 04-03-2009 04:04 PM

Jimmy – there are eight bits in a byte, so that would be 10 bytes. But with the cost of memory falling so fast, I don’t think your barber is going to give you a very good cut for 10 bytes. An interesting bit of trivia: four bits (half a byte) is sometimes called a nybble.

Hey, I think we may be getting a little off topic …

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

#13 posted 04-03-2009 06:58 PM

Your right. I think you could probably get 10 bytes for less than 2 bits if you could find it. A little off topic.. :P

View mtnwild's profile

mtnwild

#14 posted 04-03-2009 11:41 PM

I recently discovered this product also. I love it. I use it on my stag pieces after polishing. Really nice. Great feel to it, very light. They say there is no build up over time and wont discolor anything. I also polish my knife handles with it.

-- mtnwild (Jack), It's not what you see, it's how you see it.

View Chris's profile

Chris

#15 posted 04-04-2009 01:08 AM

Thanks for posting. Hopefully in a year or more when I use the last of my Johnsons, I’ll remember this. ;-)

-- Chris