Hitachi M12V, 3 ¼ Hp, Plunge Router

Review by dataman posted 2373 days ago 11719 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hitachi M12V, 3 ¼ Hp, Plunge Router Hitachi M12V, 3 ¼ Hp, Plunge Router Hitachi M12V, 3 ¼ Hp, Plunge Router Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have two of these routers!
I mounted on in my router table and use the other one for manual jobs.

Having a 3 ¼ Hp, 15 AMP motor, the Hitachi M12V is can handle virtually any routing job or bit design. The motor features an infinitely adjustable electronic speed control dial and soft start to make it manageable for hand use. The 8,000 to 20,000 rpm range (no load) dial is divided by 1 through 5 numerals (no detents) on the dial.

The On/Off switch is located off the right-side handle and can be easily operated while gripping the handle. This is a good idea, especially with such a powerful router. It also has a soft start so it isn’t jerked out of your hands when it starts.

Depth Scales The Hitachi M12V has the traditional adjustable stop rod that mates with a three position turret on the base flange. Two positions on the turret are adjustable. A dial on the side of the router housing operates the stop rod, which is locked with a wing screw.
The controls are easy to use and the handles repositionable through three detents.
Not so familiar is being able to adjust the angle of the hand grips. Both grips can be adjusted to one of three positions from vertical to laid back by simply loosening the mounting screw, turning them to the index wanted and tightening the screws.
The handles are large, nicely shaped and give a good feel of control without being tiring.

To make depth cutting more accurate, the scale next to the depth rod indicator can also be adjusted by loosening its wing screw and pulling the knob out before turning. That engages the scale rather than the depth rod.

It has a nicely designed exterior spindle lock that makes changing bits a truly one-wrench task. A heavy, spring loaded sliding plate is moved into position, its sides fitting into flats on the spindle shaft. The included wrench is then used to loosen or tighten the collet for bit changes. This feature is always handy but especially nice in router table applications that do not allow bringing the spindle above the surface. I did purchase a drop down wrench to use when its in the table making it very easy to loosen and tighten the spindle lock.

It has a ½”-diameter collet but a reducer sleeve is included for using ¼”-shanked bits.

View dataman's profile

dataman

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Nice review.

View John's profile

John

Very thorough review – thanks!

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View Mark Mazzo's profile

Mark Mazzo

Good review. I have this router mounted in my router table as well. It is a great router. The only issue I have in my table is that I can’t raise the bit above the table to make changing the bit easy. I need to invest in a bent wrench to facilitate this.

-- Mark, Webster New York, Visit my website at http://thecraftsmanspath.com

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

Hi Mark:
You’re right about the wrench .
I made mine from a spare open end from a clearance counter.
I find it usefull for locking in my cope and stick bits from under the table as well as there is no room between the insert and the bit to do this from up top.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View dataman's profile

dataman

Mikes Tools has offset router wrenches
They have them for a few different routers.
Their picture is pretty poor but the wrenches are great to use on with a router table.
Woodcraft has them also but no pictures and they are more expensive
I have been poking around adn found some for $14.90+ at Summerfields and they have good pictures too!

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

I feel a gloat comming on… mine was 99 cents. <g>
Now I gotta make a “wedgie” for the collet locking nut.
It’s a PIA to hold on to and tighten the bur at the same time.
Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View MinnesotaMick's profile

MinnesotaMick

I concur..have had mine for years and it has done heavy duty work, and never coughed..a fine router..

View John Nixon's profile

John Nixon

I love my Hitachi M12V. Makes me wonder why they don’t make this router anymore. From what I understand, they stopped last year.

I motorized the lift on mine:

-- John Nixon - Buffalo, NY - http://www.EagleLakeWoodworking.com