3.5 HP Pennstate DC upgrade.

Review by mike1950 posted 01-08-2016 04:01 PM 3072 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
3.5 HP Pennstate DC upgrade. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Have not been around for a while- Life and a shop remodel has stopped woodworking for a while. Getting close to being fully operational again. Needed a DC upgrade so I purchased this unit slightly used. Most pipe and fittings had not been installed and package had most of what I needed. Also included -switched gates- so when gate is opened DC is turned on. I have not wired gates yet nor finished ductwork-waiting on a few parts- but what I have finished I do like. Equipped with muffler DC is not as noisy as I thought it would be. Not a concern because I always wear ear protection. It works well on sanders and band saw. Looking forward to having the rest of the tools hooked up. I will update as I go along.

-- "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is."– Albert Einstein

View Roger's profile

20928 posts in 2799 days

#1 posted 01-09-2016 11:23 PM

Congrats on your new DC. One step at a time.

#2 posted 01-09-2016 11:56 PM

Thanks Roger- The ductwork is slow going. But it will be worth it. It is already a big improvement with band saw.

View CharlieK's profile

CharlieK

#3 posted 01-10-2016 02:51 AM

That is a very impressive DC. What size ductwork are you using? How far is it from the DC to the furthest machine?

-- Adjustable Height Workbench Plans http://www.Jack-Bench.com

#4 posted 01-10-2016 02:58 AM

6” duct with 4” drops except at planers. They are 5”. at 28’ there is a chop saw. there will be a planer at about 18’ which is what will create the most material. Basically it is over kill but It was all part of the package..

View CharlieK's profile

CharlieK

#5 posted 01-10-2016 03:00 AM

I like the way you are doing it. I would rather have a little more than the minimum than to be undersized.

-- Adjustable Height Workbench Plans http://www.Jack-Bench.com

#6 posted 01-10-2016 03:05 AM

I had a 1 1/2 horse 2 bag shop fox with a can collector before. I have only used this on band saw and sander. It works great and I have 2 gates open. Looking forward to having it finished and on to projects again.. Thanks for you interest CharlieK

View English's profile

English

#7 posted 01-11-2016 08:50 PM

PennState makes great dc’s. I have the 2.5 hp Tempest. I can run with two 4” gates to my table saw, one 6” gate to my jointer any one 4” gate to my miter saw all open and it still picks up the saw dust and gets back to the barrel. As for fine dust none of my tools have collection hoodsgood enough to get the fine stuff.

I ran 6” duct to as close as I could get to my machines. My longest flex hose is 2 1/2 feet long. It makes a big difference in the duct losses.

-- John, Suffolk Virgina

#8 posted 01-11-2016 10:10 PM

PennState makes great dc s. I have the 2.5 hp Tempest. I can run with two 4” gates to my table saw, one 6” gate to my jointer any one 4” gate to my miter saw all open and it still picks up the saw dust and gets back to the barrel. As for fine dust none of my tools have collection hoodsgood enough to get the fine stuff.

- English

I plan to have 2 ducts open all the time. So far I see no problem with my shop size and configuration. I would have purchased the 2.5 Penn state if I would have bought new. Would have been plenty big enough for me. Thanks for the info.