Extraordinary Abrasive

Review by Tony posted 04-01-2009 06:11 PM 7358 views 1 time favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Extraordinary Abrasive Extraordinary Abrasive No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have recently been undertaking a lot of experiments with the relatively new product called Abranet, made by a Finnish company called Mirka. I have been using their cloth and paper backed disks for many years, with excellent results and feel very confident with the company for quality and reliability. However, after being given some of the Abranet product to trial – I am replacing all my paper and cloth backed disks with this new product.

The Abranet comes in grades P 80, P 100, P 120, P 150, P 180, P 240, P 320, P 360, P 400, P 500, P 600, P 800, P 1000 the material used is Aluminum oxide, bonded with resin to a Polyamide fabric backing. It is available in 6”, 5” and 3” disks as standard, also available in rolls and sheets for hand and other machine sanding.

I have found that this product, when sanding white oak, with a random orbit sander last 3 – 4 times longer than conventional cloth or paper backed disks. When sanding items that have been finished with paint or oils, that the Abranet disk does not become “clogged up” and if a residue does build up, then simply removing the disk, giving it a quick shake will dislodge about 99% of any material.

Dust, yes it crates a lot of dust, because it is so efficient at sanding, but I have found that my AEG, 8 hole ROS will pick up far more sanding debris, than it would with a conventional disk (and it was extremely good before). If I add a vacuum to the extraction port, then I get virtually 0 dust.

Heat, Non really, because it is so open-mesh, most of any heat is diffused by the surrounding air. Try it on the lathe for sanding a spindle or a bowl, whereas with conventional sanding disks or sand paper, you will feel the heat pretty quickly, almost to the point of burning fingers, the Abranet is definitely “cool running” all the time.

Aggressive sanding, you get a lot of stock removal quite quickly, even with the P 120, but you also get a very clean, even sanded surface when you finish, without unsightly scratches.

Interface Pad (picture 2). This pad is an optional extra (I recommend using it), but it is designed to be placed on your existing Hook & Loop pad and has 2 effects 1 – you add and remove the disks from the pad, not the ROS, therefore saving wear and tear on your ROS Hook & loop (these ROS Hook and loop are expensive to replace) and 2, the interface pad comes in 2 thicknesses, 3 mm and 10 mm, the 3 mm is designed for normal flat surface sanding, but the 10 mm is for contour sanding. The price of the 3 mm interface pad is about $6.00 each and come in packs of 5.

The price of the Abranet will vary on your distributor, but I would think about $1 to $1.50 per 5” disk. if like me you buy boxes of 50, then price comes spiraling down – do not forget they last a longer and give a better finish, so worth the extra cost – I will almost guarantee once you have tried one disk, you will not look back in anger.

If I could give this product more than 5 stars I would – it is tremendous

Here are some links to the product:

Abranet
Effective Wood Sanding PDF
PDF Pages of sanding information
Mirka USA

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

View builtinabarn's profile

builtinabarn

#1 posted 04-01-2009 06:44 PM

How about cost difference between the paper or film back and the Abranet?

OOPS, I wrote before I read the entire post. Thanks for posting

-- Built in a Barn Bob

View builtinabarn's profile

builtinabarn

#2 posted 04-01-2009 06:51 PM

Five years ago, a Mirka rep. brought some prototypes of this to my shop to use. It was defiantly an awesome product. I have asked my sandpaper dealer about the production of and the introduction of this product for years, and know body could answer me. Im glad you posted this so I can search out a source .

-- Built in a Barn Bob

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#3 posted 04-01-2009 07:40 PM

Hi Tony

Every sight I looked at tells me about the product, which is fine. How much does it cost and where can we buy this product in the USA? Please advise?

Tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

#4 posted 04-01-2009 08:25 PM

Hi Tom

Sorry I cannot really help you as I live on the “wrong side of the pond”,

I have just spoken to Mirka USA 800 843 3904 about the availability of their products in the USA. They said if individuals would like to call there free phone number – they will be more than happy to give you the details of the distributor closest to you.

I must admit the Mirka-USA website is less than helpful, with regard to contacting them (except for telephone)or listing their main distributors, but I guess with 50+ states and 1000’s of big towns, they would need a website just for distributors.

If you still have problems getting the product, let me know and maybe I can start an export business selling the Finnish made product in the USA, because you cannot find a retailer there to sell you the same US manufactured product – now that is good for the recesion (for us anyway) :) :) :)

View depictureboy's profile

depictureboy

#5 posted 04-01-2009 08:42 PM

Google is your friend.

Woodcraft

Amazon

-- If you can't build it, code it. If you can't code it, build it. But always ALWAYS take a picture.

View jwicks's profile

jwicks

#6 posted 04-01-2009 08:43 PM

They sell them at Woodcraft:

-- Jon

View LonelyRaven's profile

LonelyRaven

#7 posted 04-01-2009 09:39 PM

Funny this thread came up…I saw this stuff at Woodcraft, and had trouble finding anything about it online except for Woodcraft and Amazon (as listed above).

I bought the bulk pack and the protective layer thing just this Monday, and I’m eagerly awaiting it’s arrival. They don’t make a backing pad for my Bosch palm sander, so I couldn’t get that, but it looks like it would help with the dust removal because it probably double the amount of air holes in the backing pad to improve the air flow through the Abernet abrasive sheet.

Doing a little research, it appears they also make sanding blocks with a vacuum port, but they were only 2 3/4” wide or something like that…I really wanted a 4” X 7” sanding block for larger projects where I would want to do them by hand, but need to cover a lot of surface as evenly as possible….so I didn’t order it.

I can add my own report later if anyone cares…I’m hoping to receive the shipment and start using the pads this weekend!

#8 posted 04-01-2009 10:07 PM

Lonely Raven

Mirka do make larger sanding pads, up to 4.5” x 9”, but you may have difficulties in finding a supplier, following the comments of the thread so far – Call Mirka, I am sure they will be able to help you.

The extra holes in the protective pad will not help you remove more dust, it is a function of the holes in you ROS pad. The extra holes allow the pad to be rotated to a new position should one are become warn.

I am off to pick up my next batch of disks and pads tomorrow (500 disks, 10 boxes), the price here for one disk is about $1.59, but when you by a box of 50, the price comes down to $1.03 each and the backing pads are $20 for 5×3 mm pads, which includes a 22% sales tax on all products.

I look forward to hearing you comments on this product, I am sure you will not be disapointed

#9 posted 04-01-2009 11:10 PM

Excellent review , Tony . I hope you’re getting a good commission from Mirka : ) LOL

#10 posted 04-01-2009 11:12 PM

Dusty, I only wish I was getting a commision from them. It would save me a fortune :)

#11 posted 04-01-2009 11:37 PM

Hahahaha, I can see your smiling face on one of their advertisements already ! LOL

View YorkshireStewart's profile

YorkshireStewart

#12 posted 04-02-2009 12:20 AM

I bought some sample packs of the small rectangular sheets at a woodshow last November & just this week ‘discovered’ them hiding in my ‘shop! I, too, am very impressed and will be ordering some more. Thanks, Tony; I didn’t realise this stuff available as discs too.

-- Res severa verum gaudium - True pleasure is a serious business. http://www.folksy.com/shops/TreeGems

#13 posted 04-02-2009 01:06 AM

I picked up 2—sheets of 400 grit on ebay for about $20.00 It seemed to be great. I did use the product with a 1/4” foam back for my Corian countertop. I went to 3000 grit for a semi gloss finish. I used it wet with dish soap in some water.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#14 posted 04-02-2009 01:15 AM

Thanks for the post Tony. I did not realize they had so many different grits. We use the 400 in our shop all the time. Great stuff.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#15 posted 04-02-2009 03:32 PM

Thanks Tony. I’ll have to give it a try. I swear by the Abralon pads by Mirka. They come in grits 500 – 1000 – 2000 – 4000 for final rubout of finishes, and they work fast. I was going to recommend Jeff Jewitt’s homesteadfinishing.com site as a source – but it looks like it might be down permanently‚Ķ

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.