So far I am very impressed

Review by rodg posted 01-05-2016 03:58 AM 5256 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
So far I am very impressed No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I will have to come back after I get some time using this band saw so please consider this as a first impression review. I took receipt of the saw this afternoon so I have only performed the un-boxing/assembly and did a few test cuts in maple. The packaging was top notch on-par with the packaging used by SawStop. Assembly was quick and easy with help from my 10 year old daughter, all said and done took maybe 2 hours to assemble with her help and us taking our time so I could explain things to her.
Fit and finish I have to give it an A+ all around, installed a 1/4” blade and made a few rips through 3/4” maple and a few free hand cuts just to play around, no vibration, no unwanted/weird noises. I did not find the guide blocks hard to adjust at all, I don’t have experience with other systems but only took a few min following simple instructions to get them adjusted and be on our way. So far I am a happy camper….

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#1 posted 01-05-2016 10:34 AM

I have had Great results with the Laguna brand. Best of cutting to you.

-- Desert_Woodworker

#2 posted 01-08-2016 07:28 PM

Nice. Thanks for posting.

View Garwood's profile

Garwood

#3 posted 01-12-2016 04:10 AM

I recently purchased the same saw and for the most part, I really like it. When I received it, the tall fence had a bow in it. It was not flat. Laguna was very prompt in replacing the fence. Great customer service. The problem I have with the saw is adjusting the blade guides, but once set, they work very well. The dust collection is very good. I have it hooked to a Oneida 2hp super dust gorilla

-- Gary

#4 posted 01-12-2016 08:43 PM

As an update got to play around over the weekend and make some sawdust. Have to agree Gary the dust collection is great and I have it hooked to the Harbor Freight special. I did notice once I had time to look closely at everything that the throat plate is concaved in the middle which makes it impossible to adjust flat to the table, took about 2 min on the line with customer service to have a new one shipped out to me. The hardest work I put it though was to re-saw some 6” Zebra wood into 1/4” strips very happy with the quality of the cut, did use the 3/4” Resaw King for this task.

View Sawdust35's profile

Sawdust35

#5 posted 01-16-2016 03:54 AM

Thanks for the review. I ordered the 110V version this evening. I see you have the “mobility kit” on your saw. Is this the same as the one used for the 14twelve model?

#6 posted 01-20-2016 05:12 AM

Sawsust35 Yes the mobility kit is the same as the 14/12

View Jim's profile

Jim

#7 posted 02-03-2016 03:05 PM

Thanks for the review. I’m currently shopping a Rikon 14” (both models) and the Laguna (both models) and I’m a bit torn. I’m willing to pay over $1000 for a saw if I know I’ll love it. The lower end 1.5 hp Rikon seems like it might not be enough power, but I’m new to this so who knows…. In my local woodcraft, the laguna seemed to lack fit and finished. I also saw a Rikon Delux in person and was impressed. But online, the reviews tend to lean Laguna. Thoughts? I’m so terrible at making purchasing decisions.

I’m going to be using this for resawing material to book match, i do have a planer so I can clean it up after. I also hope to use this for bandsaw boxes.

-- Jim from Rivertown Woodcraft | Grand Rapids, MI | www.YouTube.com/user/RivertownWoodcraft

View ShannonG's profile

ShannonG

#8 posted 09-08-2016 11:32 PM

I picked up a 14 bx 220 and do not have 220 run to my workshop. I contacted Laguna and they said to use 30 Amp for this band saw. The plug is for 20 Amp. Just wanted to see if anyone has 30 Amp and if they removed the outlet plug and put a new plug on as I cannot seem to get a 30 Amp female outlet anywhere.