A New and Improved Miter Saw (circa 1900!)

Review by littlecope posted 1969 days ago 2831 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A New and Improved Miter Saw (circa 1900!) A New and Improved Miter Saw (circa 1900!) No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It being April Fool’s Day, I couldn’t resist reviewing this old dandy! The restaurant I worked at in 1999 was housed in an 1800’s built brick factory building. My Parents say that when they were young it had been a meat packing and processing plant and in the basement there were tracks and hooks for transporting sides of beef and what not. Also in the basement was a corner that was devoted to a small carpenter’s shop and it was there that I found this baby collecting dust. The owner, knowing how fond I am of woodworking, told me it was mine if I wanted it. OK! ;-)
After bringing it home I couldn’t wait to try it out, but I don’t have a table space large enough to accommodate it. I ended up screwing it to my living room floor, which might sound horrible but the floor is typical old apartment building cupped pine boards. Anybody wanting to carpet the room would have to either replace it or put in a sub floor anyway. I took a small scrap that I had kicking around and cut 45’s, flipping the pieces to imitate a picture frame to test the accuracy. This thing is at least a hundred years old and is still dead bang on!!
Later on, when I tried to make an actual frame for a large dressing mirror, out of larger pieces, I found that it wanted to wander a little. I think that was due to it being floor level. I can’t really give it the right motion that I could if it was table height…
Built long before OSHA, This saw is a fearsome thing, coming down like a guillotine on the careless! That’s a 28” Back Saw housed between the guides, the largest one I’ve ever seen, and still sharp after all these years! The guides have markings on them, the obscure PAT’D S-15-04. The curved slide is marked with riser numbers rather than actual angles, as in 24 (1:24) or 8 (1:8) and also has serious detentes on the underside which positively click into place when you near them.
Sorry I can’t give a company name, none is visible in the ornate castings. I’m only guessing, but the S in the markings on the slides could very likely be Stanley. There might be markings under the attached wooden base but I’ve never taken it off.
I can’t help but think that amongst all of us Lumberjocks, there must be a few other gems out there! I’d love to see them! And Happy April Fool’s Day! Don’t take any Wooden Nickels today! Michael C.

-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.

View littlecope's profile

littlecope

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2091 days

#1 posted 1968 days ago

Nice find, I love antiques.
Nothing beats the basics!!!!!
BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View hootr's profile

hootr

183 posts in 1973 days

#2 posted 1968 days ago

that’s a dandy
if you want to try to research further try www.owwm.com (old wood working machines)
it’s a group similar to lj that focus’s collecting, reburbishing, ect.
nice bunch of folks like here
gave me tons of feedback on an antique 12” jointer i picked up a couple years ago

-- Ron, Missouri

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

#3 posted 1967 days ago

Cool! I have one too. It’s a “Goodell-Pratt” with a 26” (measured along the teeth) E.C. Atkins back saw.

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net