Does what it says, just not enough light

Review by ic3ss posted 01-03-2016 09:52 PM 2934 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Does what it says, just not enough light Does what it says, just not enough light Does what it says, just not enough light Click the pictures to enlarge them

Shop lighting is on my to-do list this year. I found this light had a good review on LJ so I bought one at HD for $55 yesterday. It says it produces 4000 lumens at 4000K light temp. I can’t verify the light intensity but in my garage shop with the other lights off and the door closed, this is what it looked like. The picture is just slightly darker than reality but not much, this is pretty accurate.

I know everything would be brighter if I went ahead with more of these for the rest of the shop, but I know that a dual T8 fluorescent light would do so much more, and at less than half the cost. I’m also not crazy about the light color. I looked it up on a chart and what I’ve read says that 5000-6000k is best for woodworking, although it’s ultimately up to the individual and how they see the color. For me, I think I need something whiter and brighter. I’m going to take this one back and go with the T8 fixtures.

View lcwood's profile

lcwood

#1 posted 01-04-2016 12:14 AM

10w led floodlight is my way to go – all 6500k.
many around the shop and only turned on when needed

lot’s of cables and switches to install plus one master switch close to the exit door to turn it all off

in the end, it is clear and eat little energy

View MadMark's profile

MadMark

#2 posted 01-04-2016 12:24 AM

Try: http://www.superbrightleds.com they have all sorts of led lighting including remote control lights.

M

-- Madmark - Madmark2150@yahoo.com Wiretreefarm.com

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7733 posts in 1913 days

#3 posted 01-04-2016 12:38 AM

I think if this fixture didn’t have the lens, it would be brighter. Or maybe a CLEAR lens instead of the one shown here.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#4 posted 01-04-2016 02:00 AM

Yep, LEDs are still more expensive than fluorescents.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#5 posted 01-04-2016 02:16 AM

Try a 2 lamp T5HO.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#6 posted 01-04-2016 02:44 AM

I am getting close to the finish line on my new shop (30’x50’) that has a load-bearing wall for about 18’ in the center. Bought 4 of the BigAss lights, I’m thinking they are supposed to be about 40,000 lumens @? BigAss told me that I would need 6, but at $400 a pop, I decided to see what 4 would do. They were right. However I found some LED shop lights at Costco for basically $40 each and figured that I could get 20 of them for the price of 2 more BigAsses. Actually I bought 8 and have hung them in specific areas as “task lights” that I can turn on as needed. It looks pretty good. Don’t claim to be an expert on LED or any other lights, but it seems that the LED lights will long outlast any others by far, don’t hum, flicker nor attract bugs. Each fixture draws less than 1 amp, including the BigAsses.

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

#7 posted 01-04-2016 05:12 AM

Yellow car headlights are about 3,500k. Bright OEM HID headlights are about 4,200k. Bright aftermarket HID headlights are generally 5,000k. Beyond 5,000k things start looking pretty blue & cause lots of glare with less visible light per lumen. Going way high beyond that things get even worse with barely any usable light & things turn purple.

Personally I prefer things around 4,200k to 5,000k for working. High 3,000s for a lot of household stuff.

I was at Home Depot the other day & the LED fixture with 1 flourescent looking run of LEDs (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-4-ft-LED-Linkable-White-Shop-Light-54103161/205331022 probably) was rated at 3200 Lumens at a 4,000k color temp. Your average T8 fluorescent tube is rated at right around 3k Lumens or so if I recall & can be acquired in a range of color temperatures.

Really there isn’t much if any difference between a T5 & T8 in terms of efficiency or light output as long as you are using a modern electronic (not magnetic) ballast. My shop has low ceilings & I didn’t go with T5HO (high output) bulbs as they were just to bright. Lots of light, but tended more towards the spotlight end of effective coverage rather than floodlight effect I wanted. I ended up going with $40 8’ fixtures that used 4’ T8 bulbs. I’ve converted most of the house to LED bulbs, but not even thinking about going there for finishing up the last corner of my shop that I still haven’t lit. Bang for the buck isn’t there yet.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

#8 posted 01-04-2016 05:25 AM

I used these from Costco and I m extremely happy! and they didn’t cost that much ither.

I went to LED (no UV) because my garage is my shop and from the spring to fall the bugs are a real nuisance.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#9 posted 01-04-2016 02:27 PM

Nice bench. Nice drill caddy. And nice homebrew equipment.

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

1964 posts in 846 days

#10 posted 01-04-2016 02:59 PM

That may have been my review :) and these were the lights – I have five in my shop of 4oosq/ft hung from a ceiling that’s 10’6”. They have a different diffuser and a larger reflective surface. My shop is adequately illuminated but I still plan on adding 1 or 2 more over recently purchased tools and their respective stations. One light of any type would not be enough to make any sort of determination of their effectiveness IMO. You must also consider the height they are mounted at. Your ceiling is very low and does not allow for adequate light spread. Most any fixture will give you the same issue. HD has the lights posted above for $39.

Here’s my shop at night.

Here’s the shop at night.

Shop lighting is on my to-do list this year. I found this light had a good review on LJ so I bought one at HD for $55 yesterday. It says it produces 4000 lumens at 4000K light temp. I can t verify the light intensity but in my garage shop with the other lights off and the door closed, this is what it looked like. The picture is just slightly darker than reality but not much, this is pretty accurate.

I know everything would be brighter if I went ahead with more of these for the rest of the shop, but I know that a dual T8 fluorescent light would do so much more, and at less than half the cost. I m also not crazy about the light color. I looked it up on a chart and what I ve read says that 5000-6000k is best for woodworking, although it s ultimately up to the individual and how they see the color. For me, I think I need something whiter and brighter. I m going to take this one back and go with the T8 fixtures.

- ic3ss

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View HickoryHill's profile

HickoryHill

#11 posted 01-04-2016 07:34 PM

I’m using these, referenced already, from HD.

I love them. Been slowly replacing my 2 bulb t-12 hanging fixtures with these. For every 4 – two bulb T12 units I am only installing 3 LED units. I have 6 or 8 of them up so far.

-- Jim, Michigan

#12 posted 01-04-2016 08:33 PM

TheFridge; I was at HD today and almost bought the T5HO, fixture with tubes not included came to $62. The issue I had was with my low ceiling it looked like it would put out too much glare without a diffusing lens of some sort. I like how much light they put out though. But for this much I was able to buy three T8 fixtures instead without tubes. So that’s what I went with.

#13 posted 01-04-2016 08:50 PM

builtinbkyn;

I plan on installing 6 total, I got 3 today and I’ll be able to get a better idea of how well they work together with total light. One over the bench, one over the lathe, and the other four will be 2×2 over the rest of the garage.

I have this arrangement with old T12 fixtures I bought many years ago, but they were cheap and no longer work. This arrangement worked well when they were new, I didn’t really have any dark areas and the white walls and ceiling helped too.

#14 posted 01-04-2016 08:58 PM

dhazelton;

Thanks for taking notice. I did the bench in spring 2015 and I blogged it here on LJ, the drill caddy right after that, and I’ve been making beer for 15 years. Woodworking and beer are the two things my wife doesn’t hassle me about indulging in. She gets cool stuff I make and she likes the beer. It’s two great tastes that taste great together!

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

1964 posts in 846 days

#15 posted 01-04-2016 09:10 PM

LEDs are a very different light source than T5/T8/T12 or any incandescent source. The light from an LED diode is linear. This is a huge discussion on reef keeping forums :) For our purposes in a shop, they can be very effective both in illuminating the shop well and cost savings in electric costs and bulb replacement. The reflector needs to help disperse the light. The higher they are mounted the more spread. Same for any light source, but this is an especially important factor for LED.

The fixture you posted above is made by the same company (Utilitech) but has a different diffuser that may be hindering the effectiveness of the fixture in your situation with a lower ceiling height. Those are also more expensive :)

builtinbkyn;

I plan on installing 6 total, I got 3 today and I ll be able to get a better idea of how well they work together with total light. One over the bench, one over the lathe, and the other four will be 2×2 over the rest of the garage.

I have this arrangement with old T12 fixtures I bought many years ago, but they were cheap and no longer work. This arrangement worked well when they were new, I didn t really have any dark areas and the white walls and ceiling helped too.

- ic3ss

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)