LOCKTITE POWER GRAB REALLY SUCKED .... * WORST ADHESIVE ON PLANET EARTH*

Review by Dan'um Style posted 03-31-2009 01:31 AM 11256 views 0 times favorited 27 comments Add to Favorites Watch
LOCKTITE POWER GRAB REALLY SUCKED .... * WORST ADHESIVE ON PLANET EARTH* LOCKTITE POWER GRAB REALLY SUCKED .... * WORST ADHESIVE ON PLANET EARTH* No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

LOCKTITE POWER GRAB is crap.

I glued and clamped six large landscape tiles to a plywood board with Power Grab thinking it would be an improvement over my normal method of Gorilla Glue (sometimes a little messy).

NOT

I HAVE NEVER in all my years used anything that worked so poorly. REALLY REALLY BAD.

Last night I applied 3/4 a tube to fasten my tiles to a plywood backer board. I lightly clamped the tiles with spring clamps and let it setup OVERNIGHT ... (over 20hours).

Came home from work and removed the clamps.

When carrying the large framed piece from one room to the next I needed to lift it over my head to clear some cabinets. One of the tiles fell out and clunked me in the head.

Luckily the tile did not fall to the floor and break.

I sat the framed tiles on my table saw.

Every tile came loose with only finger pressure.

The adhesive (if you could call this crap anything close to that) did not stick to plywood at all

I’m in the process of scrapping the hardened CRAP off the back of the tiles to start over.

My only positive statement is I did not break any tiles.

There is no option for ZERO stars in the rating. That is the only reason I gave it a single star.

THIS IS NO JOKE. THIS IS THE WORST ADHESIVE ON PLANET EARTH.

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#1 posted 03-31-2009 01:43 AM

I tried a caulk tube of some of this to install beadboard. All it did was inspire a trip back to the big box for some good old toxic, non-water clean up Hansen’s Liquid Nails (likely known to cause three-headed salmanders AND Cancer in California). The stuff didn’t hang on long enough to get finish brads shot through it.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19479 posts in 2517 days

#2 posted 03-31-2009 03:17 AM

Thanks for the tip Dan. Will be wary of that one. Sounds like a very sticky situation.
(c) TheBrotherhoodclub Pictures, Images and Photos

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View oldskoolmodder's profile

oldskoolmodder

#5 posted 03-31-2009 04:31 AM

Nice to know. Sad thing is, that at least Liquid Nails WILL WORK, toxic or not.

-- Respect your shop tools and they will respect you - Ric

View timbob's profile

timbob

6 posts in 2082 days

#6 posted 03-31-2009 05:43 AM

I got a tube you can add to your trash pile too. The stuff is useless, but the commercials were funny.

View Gary's profile (online now)

Gary

7291 posts in 2099 days

#7 posted 03-31-2009 05:50 AM

whats sad about Liquid Nails working? I like Liquid Nails. It’s great on pancakes. REALLY sticks to your ribs!!

-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#8 posted 03-31-2009 06:11 AM

Did you contact Loctite customer service? If so what did they say?

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#9 posted 03-31-2009 06:21 AM

Is that the stuff where they hang a hammer from the ceiling in the commercial?

View savannah505's profile

savannah505

#10 posted 03-31-2009 06:56 AM

Epoxy works for me, liquid nails should do you okay too though.

-- Dan Wiggins

View Cory's profile

Cory

723 posts in 2085 days

#11 posted 03-31-2009 03:15 PM

Not sure what I’m doing differently, but I have had good luck with Loctite. I’ve used it in quite a few different situations and never had the bad results you experienced. Maybe it’s a bad batch?

-- The secret to getting ahead is getting started.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#12 posted 03-31-2009 04:56 PM

I have to second Cory – I have been using this stuff for several years with very good results for different applications.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Frankie Talarico Jr.'s profile

Frankie Talarico Jr.

353 posts in 2022 days

#13 posted 03-31-2009 08:01 PM

I use Loc-tite heavy duty construction adhesive. its equivelent to Liquid nails H D. This tuff is very strong and has tremendous holding power. It comes in 19 oz. tubes. To put tile i’d use that and a trick is:
1. put the beads of glue where needed.
2. Press together
3. pull apart and let set 2 – 3 mins.
4 press back together and viola!

Works like contact adhesive this way. but use enough and don’t be skimpy.

-- Live by what you believe, not what they want you to believe.

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#14 posted 04-01-2009 04:34 AM

I have had problems with epoxy from them and will not buy anything with that name.

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View dusty2's profile

dusty2

318 posts in 2095 days

#15 posted 04-01-2009 04:13 PM

I have no experience with this product but -

If it stuck to the tiles as indicated in the beginning of this thread but did not stick to the plywood maybe, just maybe preparation is part of this problem and NOT the product itself.

It may even be that it is not intended to stick to wood. Loctite is a product line that has been around for a long time and I thought had a pretty good reputation. I suspect we have a premature, knee jerk reaction here.

-- Making Sawdust Safely