Abrasive sanding ball

Review by htl posted 01-01-2016 09:53 PM 2929 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Abrasive sanding ball Abrasive sanding ball No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A couple a months ago I needed a flap sander and went to Harbor Freight to pick one up, they had tons of sanding thingys but flap sanders no.
The closest thing was this Abrasive ball they have 3 different grits and I got the 80 grit to test out.

What it turns out to be is pads like you would use to clean a greasy pot in your sink bolted together to make this ball but with a little bit of sand or other grit glued to the out side.
I got the 80 grit thinking it would make fast work out of some leaves I was shaping [wanted to round off the sharp edges] but the out side sand didn’t last any time BUT and it’s a big BUT the ball turns out to be great at buffing out small parts like the leaves and now on my toy excavator parts.

It will get the fuzz off and put a shine on wood with out rounding off the edges.
Plus it doesn’t catch on the small parts and rip them out of your hand.
It also works great on larger flat parts as well.

So it falses as a shaper or rounder of parts but it’s a 5 when it come to the buffing of small parts I’m working with right now.

You won’t find it on the web sight but I bought a new one in Huntsville today so their in the store.
Turns out it is on the web site under 80 Grit Abrasive Ball

-- Learn More About Making Wooden Models. An Index Of My Model making Blogs. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View htl's profile

htl

1 comment so far

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#1 posted 01-04-2016 06:27 PM

I have used these to buff and shine up copper pipes. Makes a nice uniform finish and is much quicker than trying to do the same with sandpaper. It has it’s uses and it’s inexpensive.