A Bargain and an All Around Very Good Performer in a 10" TK Blade

Review by knotscott posted 1982 days ago 1677 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Bargain and an All Around Very Good Performer in a 10" TK Blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This blade is such a nice bargain. For around $35, it comes close to my Infinity, Forrest, and Ridge Carbide blades, and holds its own against my many of my mid level Freud, Tenryu, and CMT blades, some of which cost nearly twice as much. For a 50T blade it feeds surprisingly easily, enabling it to go through thick stock more easily than most similar blades. Crosscuts were very clean, and rip cuts give glue ready edges. It’s very versatile overall, and easy for smaller saws to spin. As a comparison to the best general purpose blades I’ve used, saw marks are slightly more pronounced than those left by my Infinity Super General, Ridge Carbide, or Forrest WWII, but are still glue ready “as is” right off the saw.

My complaint…the paint job and lettering are a bit suspect. It took a bit of sanding the coating out of the bore to get it to mount to the arbor, and I’m finding that the lettering smudges off pretty easily, but other than that I’m quite pleased. Super choice for an all around workhorse on a non-industrial table saw, and should be ok for general miter saw work (the hook is too steep for a sliding miter saw though). Plus, the bright yellow makes it really easy to find in my rack! It was also nice to see that its made in the UK, and not somewhere in China. Nice blade! I would have rated it 5-stars for the price had it not been for needing to cleanup the arbor hole. FWIW, I believe the newer “Precision Trim” series has replaced the old DeWalt Series 40 when B&D bought Delta, but that’s just speculation.

Edit: Unfortunately, these blades are now made in China. That doesn’t necessarily make them any less of a blade, but they longer have the appeal to me that they did. The solid choices from Irwin Marples, Freud Diablo, and CMT ITK Plus lines are all made in Italy, and are extremely competitive for the price…..there’s really no need to bother with the Chinese made DW Precision Trim series for the same price.

View mrsawdust's profile

mrsawdust

#1 posted 1982 days ago

Knot,
good review. did you have occasion to meet or work with Ed Skeen?
mike

-- mrsawdust, pittsburgh,pa.

View lclashley's profile

lclashley

#2 posted 1982 days ago

Thanks for the review! Where can one purchase this blade? I’ve never come across one in all my shopping.

#3 posted 1982 days ago

Hi Mike – No….can’t recall ever hearing of Ed. Who is he?

lclashley – Amazon, CPODeWalt, and I believe Lowes carries them, among others.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#4 posted 1982 days ago

you mention that it leaves a glue-ready-edges, but then you wrote that it leaves more pronounced swirl marks – aren’t those marks making the cut – non-glue-ready? and will need to be planed smooth?

I generally don’t care much for Dewalt blades, from my experience they work well for construction, but when it comes down to precision, I’ve found other blades much better (Avanti, Forrest…)

I’m still going to check out Oshlun 40 tooth (or the 50 tooth version) that you previously reviewed, that one seemed to be able to hold on it’s own.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#5 posted 1982 days ago

I made some changes to clarify. The swirl marks aren’t pronounced enough to effect glueing. that statement was an attempt to give a verbal comparison of how the DW7150PT compares to something like the Super General or WWII, which are stellar examples for this type of blade…they leave some marks but are somewhat less visible than the 7150’s. The 7150 is a traditional ATB/R with a flat raker….I think it holds it’s own against any of that style blade I’ve tried, which all tend to have more pronounced marks caused by the flat raker….that list includes Leitz 50T, Freud LU84, Tenryu RS25550, and DW7640. The Infinity Combomax is one 50T ATB/R exception to that generalization because it uses a chamfered raker instead of flat raker and leaves less visible marks….closer to what the WWII might leave. I have yet to find a blade that leaves an edge with no visible marks that I’d apply a finish to “as is” without further cleanup, but a glueable edge is do-able by a lot of decent blades.

DeWalts Series 20 construction blades are not really suitable for fine woodworking IMO, but have you tried a Series 40, Series 60, or even this value oriented Precision Trim series? Having tried several that have impressed, I have a fair amount of respect for those DW blades (the series 60 appears to now be the Delta Industrial series). The 7150 PT is a TK, whereas the Oshlun is a full kerf, which may have more appeal to you….comparing “swirl mark” patterns can be tough because other factors are in play, especially with general purpose type blades, but I’d rate them to be roughly comparable, and if I were to spend a bunch of time making direct comparisons, I’d suspect he 7150 might be slightly better in that regard. Regardless both are capable of glue ready edges right off the saw IMHO.

View out2sea71's profile

out2sea71

#6 posted 1982 days ago

Great review. Have you anyone else in this thread used the 24-tooth model?

-- kein Schaden ohne Nutzen

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#7 posted 1982 days ago

Thanks for the update, good info as usual! I guess I don’t have much experience with thin kerf to have much opinion on it, I’m more used to full kerf blades, and their heft.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#8 posted 1982 days ago

I haven’t tried the 24 tooth version from this series (DW7124PT), but I did have a DW7124TK from the series 40 a couple of years back that I thought was really good. I think the major differences were the color of the coating and the design of the anti-vibration/anti-noise slots.

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#9 posted 1981 days ago

I like this thinkerf blade, cuts clean with very minimal tearout but its whistling sound is louder than normal.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#10 posted 1932 days ago

you sold me … I’m buying one of these

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

112020 posts in 2212 days