Fein Review of the Multimaster

Review by jude posted 01-24-2008 10:32 PM 2332 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fein Review of the Multimaster No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I pretty much fell in love with the Fein Multimaster within the first 5 seconds of the store demo. Fein has a demo stand set up at the ToolKing Superstore (and probably other places where it is sold) and I tried it out cutting grout. It removed the grout easily and quickly and with no strain on my part. As someone who has used a hand grout scraper to scrape out the group in a bathroom, this tool was like a dog door to a 9-5er.

The Fein Multimaster will save you time because it does all those little tasks that you normally do by hand, completes them accurately and in half the time. For instance, cutting out the bottom of door jams to install tile or flooring or scraping flooring glue off before you resurface. The Multimaster is also good in space confining places.

The Multimaster comes with an extensive set of accessories such as a carbide rasp to scrape mortar, a lightweight sanding pad that you can use to clean up your headlights, and multiple sanding attachments to get into corners and edges for when you are refinishing furniture, antiques, etc. (Yea, I wish I had one in college when I was refinishing my Aunt Marge’s antique doors – no wonder she paid me to sand them by hand!)

The Multimaster is lightweight and yet has a very powerful oscillating action. It weights about 2 pounds and yet will trim the ends off a 2×6 and cut through metal piping. Sure, you could use any number of power tools for these small tasks but that’s the big difference. You only have to have one Multimaster to do all these little tasks. One tool, many attachments, many uses and it’s not made at some random factory in China – it’s made in Germany at the Fein manufacturing plant. Quality control at it’s highest.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#1 posted 01-24-2008 10:34 PM

Thanks for the review. Are they pricy?

#2 posted 01-24-2008 10:34 PM

I forgot to mention that I did buy one and have used it in every project I’ve done since fall.

#3 posted 01-24-2008 10:35 PM

You can get a reconditioned one at Toolking for about $170. I bought mine reconditioned and the only thing that was wrong with it was that the metal box it came in was scratched. Everything was still in the original packaging. At the time (November) Toolking has just gotten a whole pallet of them from Fein.

#4 posted 01-24-2008 10:37 PM

The XLS is $239 here:
The basic one is $179.
I’d go with the XLS cause it comes with all the extra sanding attachments and blades.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#5 posted 01-24-2008 10:58 PM

I’ve had mine for seveal years now and would not part with it. I was removing old tile under base boards with it a couple of days ago. Today I cut out boxes in drywall for electrical. The other day I trimmed the back side of door moldings where the frames were not flush with the surrounding wall.

Regards

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#6 posted 01-24-2008 11:24 PM

Sounds like a Dremel tool on steroids.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#7 posted 01-25-2008 02:07 AM

Did I mention you can cut steel, copper and plastic pipe plus ceramic tile?
You can detail sand with it better than most tools out there.
It will remove grout from between tiles.
You can flush cut flooring even after it’s installed.

Cheers
Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#8 posted 01-25-2008 08:30 AM

Also removes petrified window caulking in the wink of an eye, all without causing cracks or breaks in the glass.
But wait – there’s more! Removes and finish sands flaking paint for smooth re-painting. It uses the same action that a Doctor’s cast removal saw uses, so it’s safe for delicate tissues as well.

And if you buy one within the next 365 days you’ll get my own personal cyber pat-on-the-back for buying a bitchin’ tool at no additional charge! Don’t wait another minute!

Seriously, this is a wonderful tool.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View MrWoody's profile

MrWoody

#9 posted 01-27-2008 03:29 AM

I’ve had one for years and love it.
Nice review.

-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#10 posted 01-28-2008 07:46 PM

I was at a wood show on the weekend and saw one in action. Sure looked like a handy tool to have.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)