The Guide To End All

Review by BigRedKnothead posted 12-29-2015 04:41 AM 4997 views 4 times favorited 31 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Guide To End All No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Ever used one of those eclipse style sharpening guides? Usually they’re cheesy imports that require serious fine-tuning and modification to be effective. What if a fine tool company like Starrett or the like were to make a honing guide? Well, that’s basically what you have here.

I’ve used a couple different honing guides in my day. The eclipse was a waste. Good luck setting various blades and chisels straight in that one. The Veritas MKII is a very nice guide, but eventually I set it aside because I grew weary of the time it took to set the blade/chisel each session. I resigned to freehand honing, and I’ve gotten pretty good at it. That said, a guide will always be more consistent than my wrists, I just had to find the right one.

Ol’ Mr. Lie-Nielsen takes his sweet time developing a new tool, but it always pays off. Here’s the qualities that set this guide apart.

Speed. If you build a little registration jig, it’s literally a few seconds to set the guide at precisely the correct angle. There is a flat-head screw slot on the brass nut, but it’s not necessary. The guide holds firmly with finger tightening.

Lie-Nielsen even provides the information to make such setup.

Ease. This guide is low profile on the top side (a weakness of other guides). Makes it possible to lap the back while still in the guide.

Versatility. Interchangeable jaws. The standard jaws handle 90% of my sharpening needs. Not sure I could justify special jaws for skew chisels and such. However, I plan to order the long jaws. Those would be very handy for short irons such as spokeshaves.

Any issues with slop on the removable jaws is addressed with aligning pins and captive screws. (Long jaws pic from LN site below).

I suspect the only fault folks will find with this guide is the price tag. At $125, it is pricier than most other guides on the market. However, many woodworkers could add up much more than that sum on various sharpening gizmos. Made in the US, parts and service will always be accessible from its maker.

Like everything else Lie-Nielsen makes, buy one and be done. Shoot, your grandkids will use it.

-- "At the end of the day, try and make it beautiful....because the world is full of ugly." Konrad Sauer

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#1 posted 12-29-2015 04:50 AM

figured that thing was bulletproof.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View CL810's profile

CL810

#2 posted 12-29-2015 04:52 AM

Well, with yours and Terry’s endorsement it must be a must have tool. Dang!

-- "The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - FDR

View terryR's profile

terryR

#3 posted 12-29-2015 09:32 AM

Have sharpened 6 plane irons with such ease that I’m amazed with this guide. Very solid build.

I also added this tool to my Christmas list in the hopes of tuning my spokeshaves with the additional jaws. Looks like the Rabbet block needs jaws as well.

I suppose I should plop a chisel in the guide before also giving 5 stars, but I’m low on hair on my left arm from testing edges. LOL. Seriously, I have no doubts this guide will hold chisels securely. So, 4.9 stars…

Red, Thanks for your time here, bud.

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

View bearkatwood's profile

bearkatwood

#4 posted 12-29-2015 12:42 PM

Very well written and concise, good job red. Makes me want to buy one. I have been using the MKII and like it, it does take some time to set up. Good review, thanks.

-- Brian Noel

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#5 posted 12-29-2015 12:54 PM

Thanks for the nice review. Kinda makes me wish I had waited to buy mine from a different company. Oh well.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View Roger's profile

20874 posts in 2644 days

#6 posted 12-29-2015 01:53 PM

Thnx for your review

View AnthonyReed's profile

AnthonyReed

#7 posted 12-29-2015 03:48 PM

Thank you much for your insight BRK!

-- ~Tony

View walden's profile

walden

#8 posted 12-29-2015 04:47 PM

Very cool. Thanks Red.

-- "I am hiring a realtor if and when the day comes a lion is on my roof."

View duckmilk's profile

duckmilk

#9 posted 12-29-2015 04:48 PM

Thanks for the review Dan. I use the eclipse regularly because it takes less fuss to set up than the MKII. I also had to glue rubber scraps into the recesses of the MKII jaws because it would not hold chisels without slipping. This review will probably lead me to get one.

Edit: just checked out the site https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4239/honing-guide and have a question. Will the basic guide hold chisels or do you need to order the chisel jaws separately? Also, with the chisel jaws, won’t they hold a mortise chisel?

-- "Duck and Bob would be out doin some farming with funny hats on." chrisstef

View terryR's profile

terryR

#10 posted 12-29-2015 07:30 PM

Yep, the standard jaws hold a chisel just fine…I just checked!
The “chisel” jaws are for very narrow chisels. Under 3/16” I think?
I forgot about pig stickers…

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

#11 posted 12-29-2015 08:16 PM

^Ya, I suppose a guy could justify the mortising chisel jaws. I find them to be one of the easiest to sharpen free hand.

Duck, the only edit I’ve made to my review was to note that the basic jaws will hold the vast majority of chisels and plane irons. There are different jaws for the LN mortising chisels. Not sure if they’ll hold other types.

View Brit's profile

Brit

#12 posted 12-29-2015 08:48 PM

Thanks for the review Red. This has been on my must get list for a while now. You just made it jump up a few places.

-- https://www.clickasnap.com/Andy61 - Andy - Old Chinese proverb says: "If you think something can't be done, don't interrupt man who is doing it."

View putty's profile

putty

#13 posted 12-29-2015 10:40 PM

Nice review Red, it is on my want list too. I see the thin ruler in the 3rd picture, do you put a back bevel on your irons?

-- Putty

#14 posted 12-29-2015 11:02 PM

- putty

Yes, just slightly as a final step to get that burr off. Takes the edge to another level. Like Deneb does at the end of this vid:

Then I strop too.

View duckmilk's profile

duckmilk

#15 posted 12-30-2015 12:16 AM

Thanks for the clarification Terry and Dan.

-- "Duck and Bob would be out doin some farming with funny hats on." chrisstef