General International 50-200r with Excaliber 40-070EK Router Table add-on

Review by gotnonickname posted 12-28-2015 08:42 PM 5339 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
General International 50-200r with Excaliber 40-070EK Router Table add-on General International 50-200r with Excaliber 40-070EK Router Table add-on General International 50-200r with Excaliber 40-070EK Router Table add-on Click the pictures to enlarge them

I did a review of the 50-200R awhile back and I still have nothing but positive things to say about this saw. I did upgrade the fence to an after market design that has worked flawlessly. The big item I want to remind users of this Super Cool Tools fence rail build is to take you time when making the rails and make sure you use the Starrett measuring tape. Starrett tape is extremely accurate. The saw still is still dead nuts on and has not needed any adjustments.
Now on the upgrade. Since my shop space is a working garage with a car using the space as well as my tools, my tools must be portable. I built a router table and found that it took up too much space when not being used. On to the solution. General International Excalibur line has a add-on router table accessory 40-070EK which is designed for this table saw and others made by just about any manufacture. I broke down and purchased the kit early this summer prior to a project I was starting for my daughter. There is a YouTube review from a trade show on line about this kit on the particular saw. I went ahead and added the table to the left wing. Since my rail system is so robust for use with my Super Cool Tools fence, that adding another wing was a no brainer. Install went well because instructions were very good. The things I like about the table is one, the legs and two, it`s really flat and true. I also added the GI 40-130 dust collector bucket. Now there is very little space left on the left side under the table. To vacuum out the saw cabinet now requires me to remove the cabinet cover instead of just opening it. No big deal since dust collections is superb with the setup. Nothing better than lowering the legs and having the ability to really press the work piece down to the table without worrying that the saw will move. This is an outstanding upgrade. Later I added the WoodTek 165-545 router lift. This is the same lift as the Excalibur lift. WoodTelk had theirs in stock at a better price than the Excaliber at another supplier. The other supplier was on a waiting list for up to 3 months at the time. The lift is outstanding. I have seen comments from others about this lift`s design, and of course those comments are from supposedly educated experts that do not own the lift. I installed a 1/2” drill rod in my router chuck and set up my dial indicator to see how true the rod stayed from all the way down to all the way up. The rod changed .0015”. Good design and a reason why a four corner lift is a good design. The last purchase was Jessem Clear Cut Guides. These work well. A little expensive, but worth the money.
So that`s all for now.

View gotnonickname's profile

gotnonickname

View CoalFired's profile

CoalFired

#1 posted 12-30-2015 05:23 AM

Nice setup, I just purchased some of those jessem rollers. They seem to work pretty well the one time I tried them. Do you find you use them? I’m wondering if they get to be a gimicky thing you have to take on and off and end up just leaving them off.

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

#2 posted 12-30-2015 01:53 PM

Thanks for the review. I have that saw too and like it a lot. At time of purchased I wondered if it was a mistake to get 2 instead of 3 HP but have found that it meets my needs just fine.
I had debated getting the Excalibur but the price encouraged me to build a separate router table instead.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View gotnonickname's profile

gotnonickname

#3 posted 12-30-2015 02:24 PM

CoalFired, I do use them more now since I have moved from the large surface area of my old router table to the smaller surface area of the table saw attached table. I like that they really pull the work piece into the bit. This alone makes me use them. I only remove them when I need to route a tall piece and then I switch to the Jessem double stack feather boards which I purchased and used prior to the clear cut guides. As for Jeremy`s comment, I too started with the homemade table that I have used for years. The limited space issue was the only reason I down sized to the saw mounted table. I do, at times, wish I still had the old table, but the Excalibur quality of the table and fence, that really helps me forget the large surface area benefit of my old table. One of the things I like most of the new table is the scribe marks on the table edge, that when a straight line is drawn between them, crosses the center of the bit in the router. The legs like I said before really help when you need to apply force to the work piece