Review of the Nova Galaxi DVR 1644 Wood Lathe

Review by Jim Jakosh posted 12-24-2015 07:25 PM 13268 views 1 time favorited 42 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of the Nova Galaxi DVR 1644 Wood Lathe Review of the Nova Galaxi DVR 1644 Wood Lathe No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received my new Nova Galaxi DVR 1644 wood lathe from Teknatool. This is a Beta Model … one of 20 and not yet on the market.

It came assembled ( except for the legs) in one crate (525#) and was very well packed.

I installed the 66” bed on my lathe station instead of using the legs that come with it because I have the layout of everything right there. It took just 2 adapter plates on either end to mount it .

The crate warmed the barn for 2 days

This is a very fine lathe. I’d put it up against any other 16” lathe on the market. It is a DVR … a Digital Variable speed Reluctance motor which means it is a computer controlled motor with no brushes, belts, Reeves Drive or any wires connected to moving parts in the motor. The motor changes polarity of the magnets in the motor by the computer. It is direct drive from the motor to the arbor and obtains the full speed range with a rheostat !! It is so smooth and quiet, too!!! It has a 1 1/4-8 spindle thread. It also has reverse for sanding!!

It has some changes from the Nova DVR XP. This lathe has the headstock movable anywhere on the bed It locks in place similarly to the tail stock or banjo and can be swiveled for outboard turning. I mounted mine to the right of the end about 8” so I could put a shelf on the bed for my sander .

I thought it was going to have a push/pull on/off switch but it still has the flat panel separate on and off touch buttons which I really don’t care for. I would rather have one switch like a paddle switch in the same place for both functions. It also has an emergency push stop switch.

It does have a rheostat for speed control which I really like. It can run from 100 RPM to 5000 RPM with a turn of the knob!!!! You turn it for fine adjustment and you push in and turn for coarse adjustment. The coarse adjustment is all I feel it needs. It has 4 presets and they are nice to jump back to for sanding

The tailstock is set up with the lock handle in the back which is nice because you can unlock it and move it without moving your hand. It is very well built, travels smoothly, and has a compartment for holding some #2 Morse taper items like the drive center and live center. The screw and quill are being replaced because they have a right handed thread and they need to be left handed so it advances when turned clockwise like tightening a bolt!!

It comes with a 1” shank …12” tool rest. I will not be using it because I have three tool rests that I like and they are 7/8” shank, so I bushed the Banjo to accept them.

There is a 24 place index wheel on the left end that is stopped in position by a plunger from the top . The plunger does not go into the detents very far and has some wiggle when the plunger is down. I tried it for some index drilling and it seemed to work just fine. I’m concerned how it will hold when doing fluting which has to hold the part rock solid during the routing. The positions of the index are very hard to read. They are inside the left end cover with a 3/4” hole to look through and I needed a flash light to see them every time. They are also just numbered 1-24 and I would rather have degrees so there is no mistake which notch I’m in.I will build an index wheel to read from the front with a pointer and in degrees.
One other thing I noticed when I had that cover off is there are 3 small holes for every one of the 24 notches- they are .092” diameter and at every 5 degrees. These could be used to do finer indexing but there is no pin to locate them.
With all the sensors for the motor, there is not one for the index plunger being down that would prevent the lathe from being turned on. The user has to be vigilant. I think I’ll turn off the power when indexing.

Here is a video we made today on this new addition to my shop.
Enjoy…................ Cheers, Jim

View Ronald G Campbell 's profile

Ronald G Campbell

#1 posted 12-24-2015 07:38 PM

Jim Happy Holiday to you and yours. Looks like a great lathe.
Are you in AZ. I will be doing a patina class Jan 16th. It is at the Flowing Wells shop with the Southwest Arizona Woodturners Guild. It is a demo

Ron

-- Ron Campbell https://www.facebook.com/ronald.g.campbell

#2 posted 12-24-2015 08:19 PM

Merry Christmas, Ron. I am still in GR until the 28th. I don’t know what my wife has planned for me yet! I’ll have to play it by ear.

Jim

View peteg's profile

peteg

#3 posted 12-24-2015 08:21 PM

Great Xmas present Jim, sounds like you’re pleased with the Nova, guess there’ll be no stopping you now.
That’s a great little review you made, covered all the bases
Hope you have a safe trip down to AZ & all the very best for the season to you & Carol, looking forward to catching up in the new year
cheers Bud
Pete

Xmas morning here in NZ Jim, yep we are the first to see the new days sun, just finished our traditional bacon & eggs breakfast, then on the “real meal” later this afternoon with all the family, usually about 30 of us :)

-- Pete G: If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#4 posted 12-24-2015 08:35 PM

Thanks Jim. Looks like a nice machine (in fact there quite a few things you pointed out that seem to be about the same as pieces on my Grizzly. The legs, the ground ways and the tailstock for some. )

Please tell me about the “rounded nut” you made to put under the banjo. My Grizz has that plate (same as yours came with) and I’m not thrilled with it either.

Merry Christmas to you and yours !

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View John's profile

John

#5 posted 12-24-2015 09:11 PM

Hi Jim, best of the holidays to all. The new lathe looks great and it sounds like you have some good suggestions for the manufacturer. Is there a way to lock the spindle for chuck removal? I think my indexing pin is tapered so it fits in the holes tight.

-- John, Sunshine Coast, BC, Canada.

#6 posted 12-24-2015 09:27 PM

Thanks Pete, Joe and John.

hi Pete, this is a Real nice machine from down your way in NZ. Very fine product and I have a few miles on it already. My steady rest has been used twice on it .
I failed to mention that this lathe has a 1 1/4”-8 spindle and #2 Morse taper on both ends, but I have an adapter in there to use my 1”-8 tooling right now( until I get some 1 1/4-8 things made.).

Hi Joe. Actually I made a round stepped washer to replace that stepped plate from the Craftsman lathe. It goes up about 3/8” into the ways and the head is thin enough so I could still use the locknut on the bottom of the banjo. I also put very little clearance in the center hole so it could not cant to on side when dragging it forward or backward. What a difference that makes!!! I almost bought the Grizzly 1642, but it didn’t come in 120 volt. Just 220. I called them and asked if it could be wired 120 and they said no.

Hi John, they tell you to engage the index pin for chuck removal. I’m probably going to make a new pin down the road. One that goes in further and maybe with a lot more spring pressure to insure engagement. The diameter will have to bigger to fit tighter in that threaded bushing that holds it in. It does wiggle just a bit!!
Merry Christmas, Jim

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#7 posted 12-24-2015 10:01 PM

That’s quite a State of The Art Lathe!!

You must have a good “IN” to get one of the 20 beta lathes! Good for you! Did they give you a good price break as the result? Hope so!

Looks like it has a few bugs in it… purpose of Beta… to find’em… etc.

Have FUN!

You have a Barn? On a farm?

Merry Christmas!

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#8 posted 12-25-2015 01:13 AM

Looks like a great machine and one that has found a well deserved home where it can give its best. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

#9 posted 12-25-2015 02:06 AM

Thanks Joe and John.

Hi Joe, I have been bugging them about getting a DVR XP head for on my Craftsman lathe bed for months and then I met the Sales manager for Teknatool in Charlotte at a wood show and he told me that these new lathes were coming out and I got to be on the list from that. They did give a considerable price reduction to test it out for them. The things that bug me, the normal guy would live with but I’m a maverick and a fussy one!! I like my tools to be the best that they can be for the money!! I have a barn in the township. I could never be a farmer!!I have no green fingers of thumbs. Everything planted would die!!

Hi John. you should see it now after the video. It is covered in chips.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year…...............................Jim

View Mark Wilson's profile

Mark Wilson

#10 posted 12-25-2015 03:49 AM

And all this time, I thought you were just a schmuck like me. I’m green, Jim. The color of kelp, am I.

-- Mark

View Cliff 's profile

Cliff

#11 posted 12-25-2015 04:29 AM

Hi Jim. Great Choice of Lathe. New Zealand makes and invents some incredible equipment. Really good quality too. I have some of the Teknatool Supernova 2 Chucks, they are superb.

Well made video Jim, very informative and easy to understand. Great photos also. Yes, I really think that Teknatool would be a leading quality Lathe and would take some beating. I had a Chuckle at the burning of the crate and it keeping the Shop warm for quite awhile. (It is Summer here and I am about to have an ice cold drink)

Your background in Fitting and turning and toolmaking in your metal work days certainly is a wonderful asset in your ability to make and create and modify.

Safe trip to Arizona and best wishes for Christmas and the new year.

Cliff

-- Cliff Australia : Snoring is good. It blows away all the Sawdust.

View Bob Collins's profile

Bob Collins

#12 posted 12-25-2015 04:59 AM

Great looking lathe and a well done video Jim, you will have the Rolls Royce of lathes once you finish your additions and improvements. All the best for Christmas and have a safe New Year. Look forward to seeing work from your new toy.

-- Bob C, Australia. Your best teacher is your last mistake.

View aussiedave's profile

aussiedave

3114 posts in 1938 days

#13 posted 12-25-2015 05:09 AM

Great choice Jim. I have the NOVA DVR 2024 and it a strong smooth running machine. I like it for much the same reasons, no belts, bushes ect. I know you are going to be really happy with your new machine.
Merry Christmas and lots of turning time in 2016.

-- Dave.......If at first you don’t succeed redefine success....

#14 posted 12-25-2015 07:36 AM

Thanks Bob and Dave. I am enjoying it a lot already!! That DVR motor has got to be a real breakthrough for wood working machine motors.

cheers, Jim

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#15 posted 12-26-2015 02:47 AM

So, what do you use the Barns for?

... to give the rodents a home? :)

Or heating it up once in awhile? LOL

Store more equipment, etc. there? I don’t think your shop is in it… is it?