Excellent Performer for the Money

Review by knotscott posted 1952 days ago 4017 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent Performer for the Money No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The M12VC is Hitachi’s basic fixed base 11 amp router, that includes variable speed, soft start, and electronic feedback to maintain a set RPM throughout the cut. It’s also available in a kit as the KM12VC that includes both the fixed and plunge bases. The sub-base accepts the standard size PC style bushing adaptors.

I purchased the M12VC in hopes it would be more manageable than my heavier Bosch 1617 for dovetail work. Mine was a refurb purchased through Reconditioned Sales for the whopping price of $59 plus $7 s/h. The price attracted me, but the feel and the performance is what has impressed me. It’s a quiet powerful well balanced router that performs well and is very maneuverable. It doesn’t have quite the “built like a tank” feel of the Milwaukee 5615 or Bosch 1617, and the plastic handles on the Hitachi don’t compare with the polished hardwood handles on the Bosch, but it feels great in hand and spins a bit with high precision. It doesn’t offer the terrific above table features of my Freud FT1700 or conveniences like an auto collet lock, but it does offer both 1/4” and 1/2” collets, and does the basics very well. What a great starter router this would be for someone on a budget who’s not certain how far into this activity they’re going to go, or for even a seasoned veteran. Hard to go wrong with all you get for the price.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5369 posts in 1973 days

#1 posted 1952 days ago

Looks like a great router. Thanks for the review.

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

988 posts in 1957 days

#2 posted 1952 days ago

What timing!! I’m actually trying to buy one of these on eBay!! Good to learn that I can buy a refurbished model for $66. Thanks!!!

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View mrsawdust's profile

mrsawdust

#3 posted 1952 days ago

knot,
nicely written. good luck with it. i sure do like good deals!
mike

-- mrsawdust, pittsburgh,pa.

View jerryw's profile

jerryw

#4 posted 1950 days ago

I bought a new one from tool crib about a year and a half ago I have it table mounted. I love it. It does everything a ask it to do. and it is quiet. great tool for the money.

-- jerryw-wva.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#5 posted 1950 days ago

I have one its a great router.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Neodogg's profile

Neodogg

94 posts in 2025 days

#6 posted 1948 days ago

I’ve got the combo & am quite pleased

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

View reible's profile

reible

#7 posted 1945 days ago

I have found this to be my favorite router for now. I purchased the kit version with both bases and case and centering kit and guide bushings first (right after they came out). I liked it so well I got another (none kit) to mount in my shopsmith over arm router. Then I added another one for the under-table part of the router system.

Just last spring when I needed another router I went the cheap route (rebuilt) and the cosmetics of the router is the only difference I have noticed.

Yes, that is a total of 4 of them!

I might add that a lot of the porter cable items fit this router which is great if you already own some porter cable stuff. I also what to point out these are the quietest routers I have ever used. Need less to say I’m a big fan of this router.

-- Knight of the Shopsmith

View cypresswoodworker's profile

cypresswoodworker

89 posts in 1944 days

#8 posted 1944 days ago

Iv’e got the combo fixed/plunge set.This thing turns my 3 1/2” raising panel bit with no effert.Great tool and quiet too.I would recommend this router to anyone ! I also own a 12” sliding compound Hitachi chop saw and love it also.

Ron

-- If at first you don't succeed...Buy another tool !!

View jake's profile

jake

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have mine. I’ve had the combo kit for 2 and a half years. With many, many hours of use, it performs like a champ. The power is sufficient for any job, I even use it in my router table to make raised panel doors, etc. It is more quiet than many its competition too. I wish it was able to be raised from the table but that is minor considering the performance and price ratio that it offers. It is often on sale at places like Amazon as well, if someone doesnt run into the same type of deal you did. A PC edge guide will fit the Hitachi if anyone did not get one. I do have the new Craftsman series of routers, and they really give this unit a run for its money. Nice to have several to choose from now, at moderate prices. I am not able to buy high end tools every time and look for the best value of a moderate tool so I can buy more and have a well stocked shop. This certainly was a one of the better choices and shows no signs it wont serve me for a long time tocome. I have several other Hitachi tools and they all have been reliable.

111999 posts in 2175 days

good review Scott

I’ve got 2 of the combo sets. I love these routers! Smooth as silk and very easy to operate compared to other routers I have used… Watch Amazon for the lightning deals on these. I got #2 for $99.00 shipped…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Steve's profile

Steve

I have the combo and so far I’m quite happy with it. I picked up the vac attachment and edge guide from tools for less. The only thing I felt it needed was a nice router table to put it in. So I decided to order one from Best Router Tables in Canada. It will be here Monday.

View WoodworkGuy's profile

WoodworkGuy

I just purchased one of these for my router table from Amazon for $93. Looking forward to using it. Thanks for the info that helped pull the trigger on the deal.

-- Making sawdust and memories through woodworking.

View jerryo's profile

jerryo

I just got one of these from the clearance table at loews for 30 bucks. Tested it out and love it. I agree with reible, the quietest router I have ever used.