Best hand tool I have bought

Review by BigAxe posted 12-18-2015 05:43 PM 3725 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best hand tool I have bought No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Wow! This is one of the best tools I have ever bought. I flattened a 6 foot cherry board in less time than it took me to take the plane out of the box.

This is the first scrub plane I have used so I don’t have much to compare it to other than my no 4 Stanley I used to use. Some of the reviews I read indicate that weight may be a problem, but it is not very heavy and when I use it I never lift the plane off my work. The mass actually works to your advantage.

View BigAxe's profile

BigAxe

View JohnChung's profile

JohnChung

408 posts in 2069 days

#1 posted 12-18-2015 05:48 PM

It is a really good plane for hogging off wood. Check out the video from LN on their scrub plane. A lot of info on it.

View Andre's profile

Andre

#2 posted 12-18-2015 09:09 PM

Yup, Lee Valley has some real nice tools! I picked up their Low Angle Smoother with the PMV-11 blade and still can not believe how good it is! Have yet to sharpen the blade yet. The PMV-11 blades are fantastic, have replaced most of my Stanley blades!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#3 posted 12-18-2015 10:40 PM

I work with a lot of rough sawn boards. I actually used the LN scrub plane at a Highland Woodworking LN promotional day a couple of years ago, but they didn’t have any in stock for sale.

An alternative, and at lower cost, is to find a used Stanley #5 or #6 and sharpen the blade with an 8 or 10 inch radius camber. This will also “hog” wood very well.

Any way you do it this is a useful tool. With winding sticks and a straight edge you can prepare a reference surface for your planer, eliminating the need for a large and heavy jointer.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"