Butterfly Inlays Made Easy

Review by knotscott posted 1981 days ago 2229 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Butterfly Inlays Made Easy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Even for a first timer, this inlay kit worked flawlessly as advertised. Using just basic router skills, it couldn’t be much simpler. Put the bit and the guide bushing in the router, trace the template to cut the receiving hole, add the spacer to trace out the inlay with the same template, cut the inlay piece free from the stock, and place it in the complimenting cutout hole. Some sanding may be required to make everything flush, and a practice run is always a good idea. The tip of the bit is fairly small, so light cuts are recommended.

I used a Woodcraft template much like the one shown below, and the Freud bit and bushing set in my Freud FT1700 router. This is a high quality brass set that worked like a charm for me on my first try.

Here’s my first results:

-- San Diego, CA

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#2 posted 1981 days ago

I have one of these too, and really like it. If you have access to someone with a laser cutting rig, you can design your own templates on AutoCad and have them cut out in some Lexan. If you don’t have AutoCad, most shops will do it for a fee, if you provide the pattern. Just keep in mind the difference in size between the guide and the bushing.

View Todd Thomas 's profile

Todd Thomas

4969 posts in 2075 days

#3 posted 1980 days ago

thanks for the information….I’m looking at getting this as well….keep the reviews coming…good job

-- Todd, Oak Ridge, TN, Hello my name is Todd and I'm a Toolholic, I bought my last tool 10 days, no 4 days, oh heck I bought a tool on the way here! †

#4 posted 1980 days ago

Thanks for the review. I have been meaning to try this and this review has been helpful.