Single handed clamp

Review by Tony posted 03-20-2009 08:50 PM 1797 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Single handed clamp No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased two of these clamps – see my blog http://lumberjocks.com/topics/5240.

These clamps are available in 300 mm (12”), 450mm (18”) and 650mm (25½”) with a 80mm (3”) jaw length.

I found the clamps to be more than adequate for light clamping or spreading, the action takes a little getting used to, I am more used to the conventional pistol grip versions. The clamp/spread change over, is just a turn of a switch, no mechanical changes or swapping end around. I still prefer my Wolfcraft over these.

As to value for money, I may buy some more, but I would rather have a few more Wolfcraft for a few $ more. I am only giving this a 4 start rating, because I prefer the more traditional pistol grip.

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

View Tony's profile

Tony

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

922 posts in 2073 days

#1 posted 03-20-2009 09:29 PM

Tony,

I bought one of these to try it out. I have been using it a lot already. The spreader function comes in handy as I have been straightening some warped boards so I put the board on spacers and use regular clamps to pull sections of the wood down towards my workbench and the spreader to push up where needed. I like it and will probably buy some more as it has worked well so far. I have however noticed a little flex in the bottom jaw when clamping down hard towards the end of the jaws.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#2 posted 03-20-2009 10:23 PM

My old ones are still working but those do look nice.
I like the idea of having more surface to face the wood than I have with the Irwins.

Thanks for the review Tony.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Vincent Nocito's profile

Vincent Nocito

442 posts in 2053 days

#3 posted 03-20-2009 11:34 PM

I have 8 of the 12” model. I got them at Lowes as a closeout for about $14/clamp. I prefer these over the Irwin clamps because of the larger pad surface area and the ability to reverse then with the twist of the dial. I did not purchase the longer models because there was too much flex under load (like a light duty Jorgensen). Overall, I am very happy with them.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19562 posts in 2540 days

#4 posted 03-30-2009 11:47 PM

They look like a good tool Tony. Thanks for the post.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python