Good Basic Moisture Meter

Review by pintodeluxe posted 12-01-2015 08:17 PM 3836 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Basic Moisture Meter No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Some tools have flashy features or noteworthy upgrades. This is not it. This is a very basic moisture meter that is accurate. Most of the app-based moisture meters seem to have questionable (or laughable) accuracy.

If you set the meter for 2 or 3, based on wood type, and insert the probes you will see the lights come on. Wait a second and you get a reading… say 6.8. Then probe the same board in a couple more spots and it will read within 0.2 of the other readings. This is more than I can say for my other cheap moisture meter.

The only real negative I see is that you have to correct for temperature to get an accurate reading. This moisture meter assumes it is 70 degrees, and you make a correction according to actual temperature. There is a chart listing all possible corrections, but in general you add one percentage of M.C. for each 10 degrees colder than 70 degrees. You subtract about one percentage of M.C. if it is 20 degrees hotter than 70 degrees.

So in the example of 6.8% measured at 50 degrees, actual M.C. is around 8.8%
This is the approximate rule I use if I don’t have the printed table handy.

I would like to see it include a thermometer. Other than that it is an accurate meter that works great.

View Puffball's profile

Puffball

#1 posted 12-01-2015 09:48 PM

I have one of these. I would agree it seems to work pretty well. Just make sure not to loose the little cheat-sheet laminated card that comes with it.

It also comes with a second set of pins that are a longer.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#2 posted 12-02-2015 11:29 PM

I have had one of these for 4 or 5 years now … it has really served me well.

View AZWoody's profile

AZWoody

#3 posted 12-06-2015 10:35 PM

I have the same thing. Only thing is, I wished they had a more comprehensive list of species and which setting to use.
Luckily, I e-mailed them and asked them and they were able to tell me which setting to use and from there, I more or less can figure out which settings I need to do for some of the species I see more around this area.

View jkinoh's profile

jkinoh

#4 posted 12-09-2015 08:21 PM

Hey Matt. I don’t think I ever saw an extra set of pins for mine. Makes me wonder if I accidentally threw in trash! I bought mine at least 8 or more years ago. How old is yours? Maybe they didn’t start doing that until after I bought mine….which is the way it generally goes for me.

-- Why buy it for $300 when you can make it for $500!!

#5 posted 12-10-2015 12:27 AM

The extra pins are inside the moisture meter. Loosen one screw and separate the meter into two pieces, and you will see the 7/16” pins.

View Puffball's profile

Puffball

#6 posted 12-10-2015 02:52 PM

As pintodeluxe noted, their inside the unit. They are a PITA to swap out IMO.

- pintodeluxe

View jkinoh's profile

jkinoh

#7 posted 12-22-2015 02:04 PM

I did take the meter apart and sure enough, they were there. Of course once I pulled both out, I really didn’t pay that much attention to how they were stuck in there. Now I’ll probably lose them!

-- Why buy it for $300 when you can make it for $500!!