Great starter set into turning

Review by jshroyer posted 12-01-2015 02:21 PM 3500 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great starter set into turning No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My roommate and i have had a lathe for around a year now and only had the old tools that came with it. they were not very good and we didnt use it much because its a bit much to start with. i had been reading about carbide tools for some time but the cost it what kept me away. I saw the rockler set was on sale for $100 over the US thanksgiving weekend so thought it might be worth the try. I am very impressed already! so much easier to use! Other item that people talk about is how you cant sharpen them but if you dont know how to sharpen then it works out great. I wouldnt of bought the grinder i did if i knew how great these would be. A grinder cost ~$100 and Penn state tool set starts at ~$65. so that means you can get this set and an extra set of inserts for the same price. It doesnt have every tool that you need but its a great start. I can now say that i am sold on carbide for sure!

-- http://semiww.org/

View jshroyer's profile

jshroyer

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#1 posted 12-01-2015 03:20 PM

Yes, the deal was the best I have ever seen. Usually they go on sale for $129. So the $99 for black Friday weekend was even better.
That is why I bought my set of Rockler carbides, no way to sharpen steel at my end. I have been using my set for a year and I still think they write a great purchase. The only thing I added was a square radius tip and ditched the square tip. Much more forgiving in not catching a corner and it still does what a square tip would do.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, the wall gets in the way AAANNNDDD table saws BITE my fingers!!!.. - Mike -

#2 posted 12-02-2015 01:32 PM

Nice review. conqgrats on purchase. i have heard the carbide bits tend to chip the material away vrs the conventional tools. whats your thought on that?

View jshroyer's profile

jshroyer

#3 posted 12-02-2015 01:37 PM

They do tend to chip the material out more but it depends on the wood a lot. I am much happier to just take bulk away with the carbide then go to a scraper or heavy sandpaper to finish it off.

-- http://semiww.org/

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#4 posted 12-13-2015 04:25 PM

Well carbide tools are designed to work more like scrapers. But skewing the angle makes it more odd a shear cut.
It all depends on how you use them.