A plug cutter set well worth a plug.

Review by Emeralds posted 1856 days ago 4433 views 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A plug cutter set well worth a plug. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been looking around for good value in plug cutters and as usual decided to start at the bottom of the price ladder and work my way up. It didn’t take much time to realize that there are times when cheap simply won’t “cut” it. (pardon the pun).

After three products from as many different vendors all failed to impress, I landed at the MLCS website. I skipped right over their 8 piece plug cutter set as it was very similar to the Rockler product that I had already tested. Since a tenon cutter is essentially a beefier version of a plug cutting bit, I ordered this set in hopes that the price (10X higher than the first 3 bit set I tried) would be justified.

The set arrived nicely packaged and considerably more substantial than I had anticipated.
The bits themselves are well machined and of high quality, a pleasant surprise with Chinese made tools and one that evidences their ability to do a quality job when the price point supports it.

The half inch shanks although not hex shaped are long and provide more than adequate gripping surface for virtually any applicable chuck.

I spun up the 3/8th inch bit first at 1700 rpms (about 500 lower than the recommended speed for hardwoods) and it proceeded to cult five perfectly smooth sided, unblemished 1” plugs in less than time than it took to chuck up the bit which included my repositioning of the stock between plunges.

The 5/8ths and 3/4 inch bits preformed in exactly the same manner leaving me grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

$49.95 delivered from MLCS and a great bargain at that. The only question remaining is how well they will hold their edge.

All in all a high quality product that outperformed my expectations and delivered well beyond its price point.

-- JMP

View Emeralds's profile

Emeralds

143 posts in 2063 days

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

I bought 2 individual cutters from MLCS and not the set.

I liked these because they cut straight plugs and not tapered and because of the length of plug they would cut.
If you look at my serving tray, all the dots were cut with one of these.

I agree with everything Emeralds said.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

I agree. I have several of the MLCS plug cutters and they work fine. I used the 3/4” size to make Walnut dogs for my work bench. If I need any other sizes they will definitely come from MCLS.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

I’ve got this set and I like that the plugs are right on for the size. I cut a 1” plug and it fit tight in a 1” forstner bit hole.

I’m going to cut some 5/8” ones (Is ther a 5/8” bit, not sure) for some sanding blocks that I’m making. I used this set to make the tenon on the handles for some mallets for a dovetail class that I took. I love the set.

I don’t use it enough to worry about wearing them out.

I see you said it has the 5/8” so I’m good to go.