Husqvarna 390 xp review

Review by EMWW posted 11-28-2015 04:51 PM 3969 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Husqvarna 390 xp review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this saw used but it was rebuilt professionally in a saw shop. The new parts were the air filter, top end of engine, and chain tensioner. The starter cover says 385 XP but that is just a different starter cover. The serial number plate says it is a 390 XP. I like the good power and the quick throttle response. I also like that for the size saw it is it is pretty fuel efficient. I also like the ease of access to the air filter for cleaning. The one thing that I don’t like is how the chain tensioner is designed. I do not overly tighten my chains and I already striped out the worm gear and had to order a new one. This may have been because that was not an OEM part and was a replacement. I have found as long as you are really careful when tensioning the chain that it is just fine. If you are in need of a large saw for a decent price this saw ids for you.

The video of me receiving and using it is below. To just see the cutting skip to 11:50

View EMWW's profile

EMWW

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 12-03-2015 12:46 PM

I looked hard at the Husqies but eventually bought a Stihl Farm Boss MS290. I’ve always thought that the Husqvarna was a quality product. And they cost less than the Stihl.

My only regret with the Stihl, (since I was spending so much money), is I didn’t pop the last $29 and go one model up that came with compression release. What was I thinking?

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View EMWW's profile

EMWW

#2 posted 12-03-2015 03:17 PM

I dont think there was anything wrong with the ms290. I used that saw for over a year and have been perfectly happy with it. I only upgraded because I do a lot of milling. I personally prefer Stihl but I bought the Husqvarna because it was cheaper.