Here comes the DeWalt Track Saw - Lookout Festool

Review by GaryK posted 03-19-2009 06:10 AM 19085 views 1 time favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Here comes the DeWalt Track Saw - Lookout Festool Here comes the DeWalt Track Saw - Lookout Festool Here comes the DeWalt Track Saw - Lookout Festool Click the pictures to enlarge them

After receiving the Dewalt Track Saw I recently won in the Winter 2009 Competition
I tried it out so that I could write a review for it.

The first thing I wanted to point out that separates it from the Festool Version is
that you can set it on it’s side and cut parallel to the surface it’s sitting on.
Look at the second picture and you can see the two black stripes. Those are slippery
material making it move smoothly. Great for trimming the bottom of a door in place.

It has a nice long 12 foot cord. They also make a cordless version.

One nice feature is the depth setting. It takes into account the thickness of the track.
So if you set the depth to 1/2” that is how far the blade protrudes below the track.
The Festool doesn’t do that.

Another nice feature is a knob to “turn on and off” the anti-backlash feature. This
will allow the saw to only move forward and not back. Can’t do that on a Festool.

There is also a riving knife. That will definitely help to prevent the blade from binding.
The plunging action was very smooth. The depth of plunge is about 2 1/8”

Blade changing is relatively simple. There is an included allen wrench stored in the
handle to use. There is a lock to prevent the blade from rotating. The blade supplied
with the saw is a nice carbide blade.

The motor also has a soft start feature and variable speed. Nice!

Unlike the Festool the saw can be positioned on either side of the track. When you first
get the track the plastic needs to be trimmed along it’s length. (on both sides of the track)
This will make the cut edge perfectly lined up with the blade. This will allow you to place
the track exactly on your line and that’s where the saw will cut. More than one track can be
connected together for as long a length as you need.

It comes with a nice storage box with room for some other stuff.

I tried a couple of cuts and it worked great. I can see using this to clean up some rough
edges before using the jointer. I will also use this for plywood.

One thing that I don’t like is the cost of the optional clamps. About $50 for a pair.
I think I will make my own.

This is a 5 star tool but only 4 stars due to the price. About $500.

All in all it’s a great addition to my shop.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

View 747DRVR's profile

747DRVR

#1 posted 03-19-2009 06:23 AM

Thanks for the review.Looks like a very nice saw.I have the older Festool version and have been very happy with it but often wish I could cut on either side of the rail

View cobra5's profile

cobra5

#2 posted 03-19-2009 06:24 AM

this is a great revue, when the price goes down, hopfully, then maybe my buget will allow me to buy this much need tool. thanks gary
tim

-- tool time tim aka "cobra5"

View mrsawdust's profile

mrsawdust

#3 posted 03-19-2009 07:09 AM

Gary,
very good review. good luck with it, as i sit here and only wish….....
mike

-- mrsawdust, pittsburgh,pa.

View Gary Fixler's profile

Gary Fixler

#4 posted 03-19-2009 07:24 AM

Man, I want one of these now, big time. I’ve done quite a lot of work with ply and a little RIDGID circular saw on things too big for my RIDGID table saw, and even though Rockler’s All-In-One clamp guides are nice, you still have to measure the saw’s offset. I really want a zero-clearance-style edge like this provides. Thanks for the review! Yet more money I’ll have to set aside :)

-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#5 posted 03-19-2009 08:10 AM

Nice Review, was wondering why this one costs more than the Festool TS line… There is also the Makita plunge saw that is coming to the US market which has a couple more feature that neither the dewalt nor the festool have… can only wonder what the price would be for that one (prob. same range as Dewalt)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View TedM's profile

TedM

2002 posts in 2487 days

#6 posted 03-19-2009 12:14 PM

Thanks for sharing, Gary!

-- I'm a wood magician... I can turn fine lumber into firewood before your very eyes! - Please visit http://www.woodworkersguide.com and sign up for my project updates!

View Frankie Talarico Jr.'s profile

Frankie Talarico Jr.

#7 posted 03-19-2009 02:04 PM

i like the looks of it and the sounds your making from it. You really perked it up with your review. I mean that just moved up to next on my list. Festool is nice but, its their way or now way. This dewalt seems great with its flexibility and multi uses. You say i can cut doors in place? now that i want to see

Frankie

getneds

-- Live by what you believe, not what they want you to believe.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#8 posted 03-19-2009 02:25 PM

Yeah, but can you cut the lid off a box with it? :-)

Nice review, Gary.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

#9 posted 03-19-2009 03:46 PM

Gary Very nice review and Congratulations on the first prize.

#10 posted 03-19-2009 03:50 PM

Thanks for the review, Gary. I have been looking at these. I like Dewalt’s hand tools and considered buying one of these. But, as you said, the $500 is a little steep. I am not sure I would go for one of these saws in the cordless version as I use a Dewalt 18V cordless saw now to break down plywood. It works fine as long as the battery has a good charge on it but breaking down 1 sheet is about all one battery can handle. When the battery starts to run down the saw’s splintering on veneer plywood starts to get bad.

View Festool4's profile

Festool4

#11 posted 03-19-2009 05:10 PM

Gary, thanks for the review. I took a serious look at this saw when it first came out and all of the points that you made are certainly valid. Obviously with a nick name of Festool4 – I’m going to be a little biased towards Festool:

While Dewalt offers one type of blade, Festool offers an entire selection of blades to cut anything from laminates, aluminum, plastic, as well as any wood you care to mention. The track selection is also far more varied and, of course, can be linked to any length that you care to use. Festool even offers two different sizes of saws TS55 and TS75- for those who have need for a larger saw.

The Festool saws are also part of a system that matches perfectly with their multifunction tables and dust collection. They share the same power cords and antistatic hoses with practically the entire Festool line.

The only complaint that I have ever heard about Festool is the price and that is what surprised me the most about this Dewalt saw. It is the same price as the Festool. Now don’t get me wrong. I like Dewalt’s products. I have more than my share of their routers but I take it for granted that the Festool’s quality if far superior. Festool’s cases are tougher, their barrings harder and more precise, and their motors longer lasting. When you pay Mercedes prices, you expect Mercedes quality.

-- Festool4

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#12 posted 03-19-2009 09:51 PM

Great review Gary..I can’t wait to read a review on the next tool you win..

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View CanadianWoodChuck's profile

CanadianWoodChuck

#13 posted 03-19-2009 11:41 PM

Nice review … just wondering where you’re buying it for $500. It’s $750 up here :(

-- Wood Chuck (Bruce) http://3dwoodworkingplans.com

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#14 posted 03-19-2009 11:50 PM

CanadianWoodChuck

Just google it and you will see most prices, at least here in the states, is $500.

View Rob1's profile

Rob1

#15 posted 03-20-2009 03:16 PM

Everyone,

Not to take away from the Dewalt, but anyone interested in a track mounted saw guide system should check out Eurekazone.com for the EZ system. I have been useing the EZ rails, bridge, and router guide for three years. I have a small shop and use the guide system mounted on a table in lieu of a table saw.

You can use your own existing saw and routers, can handle any circular saw up to 16 inches.

I think I’ll do a review and post it here.

-- Regards, Rob