CMT 10" 40T Full Kerf Blade - No Joy

Review by knotscott posted 03-18-2009 01:50 PM 8650 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
CMT 10" 40T Full Kerf Blade - No Joy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The CMT 213.040.10 is a full kerf premium 40 tooth ATB saw blade intended mainly for use on a TS. I really wanted to like this blade…the attention grabbing orange color is so cool, plus it gives a constant warning to keep hands away. This was to be my new daily user for my new Shop Fox cabinet saw, but ultimately I’m disappointed as it underperformed expectations. There are pronounced swirl marks on the edges of every cut that make glue-ups straight from the saw marginally acceptable. The marks are large enough that you can feel them fairly easily. The quality of the cut looks it came from a low quality 24 tooth rip blade, not a premium 40 tooth general purpose blade. On the plus side, it’s fairly free from tearout on the backside of crosscuts, but the edge marks remain. It’s made in Italy with precision manufacturing techniques, high grade materials, and is a common general purpose design, so there’s really no reason it shouldn’t make better cuts. Performance is among the poorest performing of all the higher grade general purpose blades I’ve tried. My $25 Oshlun is better, as are all my Freud, Forrest, Infinity, Tenryu, DeWalt, Delta, Leitz, and Amana blades. I have other CMT products that perform well, so perhaps this one is simply “not quite right” but at $60 it’s unacceptable as my “go to” blade.

This one got returned, and replaced with an impressive Series 60 DeWalt DW7640 (more to come on that one).

A sale with 50% off CMT products from Woodwerks.com presented a great opportunity for me to give the 213.040.10 another try. Amazingly, the 2nd attempt was very similar to the first….unacceptable. The saw marks from this blade are easily visible, can be felt, and are too pronounced for glue up without additional attention from a jointer or handplane. I’m surprised and disappointed to get this kind of performance from a premium blade. I’ve used several other good 40T and 50T general purpose/combo type blades that I can glue up straight from the saw with no additional machining required (Forrest WWII 30T and 40T, Infinity Super General, General, and Combomax, Tenryu Gold Medal, RS25540, and RS25550, DeWalt DW7657 and DW7640, Freud LU84, LU86, and LU88, Oshlun 40T, Craftex Blue Tornado, Amana 610504, etc).

It was fairly easy (and logical) to chalk the first one up as an “escaping defect” from the factory….it happens to all of them from time to time. The 2nd one was purchased from a different retailer close to a year apart. The problem could still be a 2nd escaping defect, or could even be part of the same bad run as the first, but the probability of that being the case is fairly slim. This is a fairly straight forward 40T ATB general purpose design. I’ve double checked the saw to rule it out as a possible cause, plus I’m getting great results from several other blades. It’s possible that CMT’s execution of this design is simply mediocre, but I’ve read about several others being very happy with this blade. I’ve tried several other CMT products with excellent results that I’ll heartily recommend when they fit the need, but I can’t recommend this particular blade.

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

913 posts in 2038 days

#1 posted 03-18-2009 04:09 PM

Thanks for the review. I’m considering a 10” 60 tooth Makita blade for my SCMS, either the premium ultra-coated or the more expensive micro polished. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? I’ll post a review if I get one of course.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#2 posted 03-18-2009 04:23 PM

Thanks for the review, I was wondering about the CMT saw blades… seemed to be comparable to the other high end blades, but at a lower cost – apparently theres a reason for that.

how hefty is this blade compared to a forrest blade?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#3 posted 03-18-2009 05:56 PM

Carbide is about the same size, the plate on this particular CMT blade is 0.130 vs Forrest’s 0.125” full kerf. The CMT blades are made in Italy, and seem more similar to the Freud line than Forrest’s, although I’ve never had a Freud blade that performed poorly. I have other CMT blades that are fine…CMT 30T Glue Line Ripper, CMT 80T ITK Hi-ATB, but this one was a disappointment, especially because it would have seen a lot of use.

#4 posted 03-18-2009 07:29 PM

Dale – Lord knows I’ve tried several, but I haven’t tried any Makita blades yet. The only advice I can offer is to get a blade with a low to negative hook angle for your SCMS.

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

262 posts in 2092 days

#5 posted 03-19-2009 01:08 AM

I’ve used CMT, but no longer. I’ve yet to experience a Forrest blade, though I am confident it will be the best. I experienced poor cutting with the CMT and through thorough inspection found the blade to be significantly warped. I replaced with a high end Freud and have been extremely happy. Still dreaming about the Forrest.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

#6 posted 03-19-2009 02:12 PM

Hi Brian – Glad your blade delivers as expected. I really wish the problem had been the saw. The first thing I did when the CMT performed poorly was to remove it and check for debris and a good seat between the blade and arbor. No change. After looking for a few other obvious problems, and finding none, I switched blades and got good results from a $25 Oshlun 40T that’s very similar design as the CMT. Back to the CMT, and got poor results again. I made several attempts to get it right before accusing the blade. I’ve also been getting good cuts from a 50T DeWalt DW7640, a 30T CMT 203.030.10, and a 30T Delta 35-7653 recently, all with the same pieces of lumber, so I think I’ve eliminated the saw as a cause. I suspect I just got a bad one, which can, and apparently does happen to all manufacturers.

The 4 blades from Forrest (2-40T WWII, 1-30T WWII, 1-100T Duraline) that I’ve tried have all been impressive, though not necessarily the only blades capable of top performance….Infinity, Ridge Carbide, top Freuds, and the Tenyru Gold are in that same league.

View Festool4's profile

Festool4

#7 posted 03-19-2009 05:16 PM

Guys, stop wasting you money. Forrest is the only way to go. They are American made and best that money can buy. Their sharpening service is topnotch as is their customer service.

-- Festool4

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#8 posted 03-29-2009 07:37 PM

i have this blade and i love it. although it says its a combo i really use it mainly for crosscuts. you have to remember that this blade is not made to rip. it has 40 teeth which generate a lot more heat than a 24 tooth ripping blade which causes the wood to distort and when it comes in contact with back of the blade you get those bad resluts. i have found that sneaking up on the cut helps a lot. if you need a 3” piece. start by cutting it at 3 1/4” then flip it and cut to 3 1/8. then just flip it again cut at 3 1/16” and finally 3. it makes sure your piece is super straight and will give you a very good cut

View farmboyfd44's profile

farmboyfd44

17 posts in 1951 days

#9 posted 05-17-2009 06:53 AM

i have the CMT general and the woodworker II ( and some cheaper ones) i have hade good luck from both,
the thing i found is if i keep them sharpened they work about the same.

-- I HAVE CUT THIS BOARD 3 TIMES AND IT STILL TOO SHORT!!!!!!!!!

112089 posts in 2232 days

#10 posted 05-17-2009 07:44 AM

I have had good luck with combination blades I really wouldn’t expect much from a 24 tooth blade. as it seems T-chisel seems to feel that his manufacturer of custom blades made the best blade out there. since he’s a Ljer you could ask him the name he uses. I have always used some pretty stock blades and have not found I need any thing special other than a thin Cerf 60 or 80 tooth blade that is Sharp and clean. thanks for your reveiw