Snap-Check delivers accuracy and ease of use

Review by pintodeluxe posted 11-23-2015 08:09 PM 4618 views 4 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Snap-Check delivers accuracy and ease of use Snap-Check delivers accuracy and ease of use No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This type of tool has been available for a long time now. Usually they are cast iron and nearly $200. They are available from chipsfly.com for $20, which includes 3 batteries. I think 3 batteries might be worth the asking price.

This is an accurate tool. Once zeroed, it reads zero each time the plunger returns to the reference surface. Great for setting jointer knives. Magnets in the base attach the snap-check to any cast iron tool surface for hands-free measurements.

I don’t find it very useful for setting the height of tablesaw blades (kind of difficult to keep plunger on a single high- ATB tooth), but for the jointer it excels. Also it works as a caliper to measure lumber thickness. Just set it on a cast iron surface like your jointer, and slide a board under the plunger. It reads in fractions, decimals, and mm.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#1 posted 11-23-2015 08:54 PM

Nice Willie! Thanks for the review.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

View bearkatwood's profile

bearkatwood

#2 posted 11-23-2015 08:56 PM

That looks like a good tool. I have always used my shop-made magnet plate, but I think this would make a great addition to my pile-o-goodies. Thanks for the review.

-- Brian Noel

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#3 posted 11-23-2015 10:35 PM

Thanks for the review. What is the overhang of the pointer from the base?

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

3341 posts in 1942 days

#4 posted 11-23-2015 10:58 PM

I have the Wixey version. Is there something about your version that you like better than this two-leg version?

#5 posted 11-23-2015 11:19 PM

Hey Charles,
Yeah that looks good too. That type wouldn’t work very well for setting jointer knives, but router bits etc. it’s probably just as good. I like the magnets too, does the Wixey have magnets?

Thanks for chiming in.

View David Taylor's profile

David Taylor

#6 posted 11-24-2015 04:20 AM

Lee Valley is having a special on these right now, $14.95. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43513&p=73698

-- Learn Relentlessly

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#7 posted 11-24-2015 02:53 PM

Did I mention it comes with three batteries?

Probably a good thing … my experience with these devices is that the batteries are pretty much always dead. I have a drawer full of iGaging, Wixey, etc. devices … I put fresh batteries in them, and the next time I pick one up to use it, the battery is dead. They are a neat idea but about as useful as a rubber crutch.

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#8 posted 11-24-2015 03:04 PM

- TheDane

After loosing a couple of batteries due to battery drain even when the device is turned off I started pulling the battery as I put it back in the drawer. It takes a few seconds to remove but it saves batteries.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

#9 posted 11-24-2015 04:30 PM

Yes I have heard of the battery short / quick drain issue on other devices. I will let you know how long they last.
I checked my jointer knives, which had been set with a Jointer Pal, and they were +/- .007” which is not great. This tool should help me dial it in a little closer (.002” would be great).

View hjt's profile

hjt

#10 posted 11-25-2015 02:34 AM

That’s neat. I’ve gotta get back into wood working, I’ve been letting too many other things get in my way.

-- Harold

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

#11 posted 11-25-2015 06:31 PM

Looks like a very useful tool, especially since I recently got a jointer and need something to help me set the knives. Thanks for the review!

-- Jarrett - Mount Vernon, Ohio

View OldGuysRule's profile

OldGuysRule

#12 posted 11-28-2015 08:43 AM

Does it come with batteries?

Always has to a SAWB in the crowd, it’s just my turn to be him!

-- Rod P.........OLD GUY......Learning new things!

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#13 posted 11-28-2015 03:28 PM

Does it come with batteries?

Wouldn’t make any difference … they would probably be dead anyway! LOL

View Roger's profile

20948 posts in 2949 days

#14 posted 12-09-2015 01:06 PM

Thanks for your review Willie. I actually just ordered one. For 20 bux it doesn’t hurt the wallet too bad.

View CANDL's profile

CANDL

#15 posted 12-12-2015 12:03 PM

Now this is a hoot ….. went to Lee Valley, for their version…. well it said “Cannot be shipped to a US address”, well that is a first.