No product support

Review by Sparkie259 posted 11-23-2015 02:15 PM 4976 views 0 times favorited 35 comments Add to Favorites Watch
No product support No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bought it less then a year ago. It had to sit in the box for a while while I transferred to a new base. Finally got to set it up which was easy till the test. The blade was off. The side closer to the fence was cutting high. By looking at the instructions I figured it would be easy to adjust. Wrong! The cap screws were frozen. Three of them turned no problem but I couldn’t get the rest to budge. Since it is still under warranty (at the time of writing this) I contacted Grizzly for help. They were more then happy to give me advise. The said first try heating them but don’t use a flame. If that doesn’t work they said to use a hammer and chisel. They acknowledged that this method would tear up the cap screws but were kind enough to provide me with the information on the screws so I could go by new ones. Really? And what’s the warranty for. Needles to say I now have a good anchor if anyone needs one for their boat.

View SawSucker's profile

SawSucker

#1 posted 11-23-2015 02:34 PM

Yeah, it’s tough out there now that we are now in a world of mostly cheap imported machinery when it comes to new machines. When Delta sold out not too long ago, it was not only very disappointing, but it was also disgusting.

View TechTeacher04's profile

TechTeacher04

#2 posted 11-23-2015 02:51 PM

You might want to ask for someone else. I have had much better luck with their customer service. They offered to replace parts after I attempted repairs on a new machine I had purchased.

View Mike's profile

Mike

#3 posted 11-23-2015 03:25 PM

Grizzly Tech Support has always been really good for me. I’m a little surprised at your experience. I’d try and call back to talk with someone else.

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.lepelstatcrafts.etsy.com - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppWfrYGXCr5lm9uW-Fpqqw

#4 posted 11-23-2015 03:36 PM

Why is it a boat anchor? Did you try any of the remedies they suggested? I’m guessing some penetrating oil will get the screws loose.
Don’t throw that baby out with the bathwater.

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

#5 posted 11-23-2015 03:44 PM

I have always had good experiences with Grizzly tech support. Perhaps you got a bad representative or maybe someone having a bad day. I would defiantly try again.

Did you try WD-40 on the bolts? Several applications usually works for me.

As for heating the bolts I would expect them to expand making the fit tighter, unless the idea is head and then cool them hoping to break them loose.

A “Cadillac” solution would be to pull the cutter head and replace it with a spiral carbide head.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#6 posted 11-23-2015 03:48 PM

Penetrating oil. Put the tool on the screw and TAP with a hammer. Wait a few. Also try tightening direction followed immediately with the loosey direction. Heat the tool and insert it several times.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

#7 posted 11-23-2015 03:53 PM

I’ve had the same problem with items I didn’t use for some time with a number of companies ,I own a lot of Grizzly tools and their customer service has always been good for me. Jack has all the suggestions I would try.

-- https://www.artisticwoodstudio.com/videos wood crafting & woodworking classes

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#8 posted 11-23-2015 04:24 PM

how about an impact driver?

#9 posted 11-23-2015 04:26 PM

It looks as if the OP only joined this site to gripe about this product. Given that Grizzly customer service has already made the same suggestions that we’re making to fix the screws….....I don’t think he has any intention of working through the issue.

#10 posted 11-23-2015 08:52 PM

To the guys that offered good advise thanks! I really appreciate it and will try some out. To Tedstor, sorry I didn’t reply quick enough for you to think I was here for a legitimate reason. I did come here partly to inform others looking for information on tools they are considering that i have had a bad experience with Grizzly. I am clad to here that others have had better luck. The man reason though was to get input from the others on this site who are really here to help and not judge. I will try their advise.

#11 posted 11-23-2015 11:47 PM

Well, Grizzly did offer you some suggestions to fix the machine. Did you try them? Your original post made it sound as if you didn’t bother, and instead opted to join a woodworking message board to complain.
If I’m wrong, you have my apologies. I wish you luck with your machine in any case.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#12 posted 11-24-2015 06:21 AM

the bolt quality on my grizzly jointer were low quality but I saved hundreds and only had to spend a few bucks on high quality allen heads to replace most everything then I had a top quality tool that I think is equal to anything else on the market
2 types of people

type one – some people buy cars and drive them and when they break they take them to the dealer to be fixed

type two – person drives cars and when they break they fix them

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

yea when you buy woodworking tools you need to be a type two person no matter what manufacturer you buy
these a power tools that need to be maintained and adjusted for the life of the tool and yea they can also hurt you

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

best of luck their advise seems reasonable

#13 posted 11-24-2015 12:45 PM

That’s an interesting lecture. I might print it out and hang it on my mirror to remind me of the kind of person I should be. I do believe I stated in my reply to the suggestions that that was my purpose in coming here. I don’t expect a tool company to come and fix a problem every time there is one but I do expect when they give a suggestion chisel and hammer the allen type caps screws on a tool that is under warranty to offer to send new screws rather then go buy replacement parts. I don’t think that is too much to ask.

#14 posted 11-24-2015 12:48 PM

Tedstor, Going out this morning to get a soldering iron. Put penetrating oil on last night as you and others had suggested. No need to apologies for saying something. You offered advise in the beginning which showed you were interested in helping and I did appreciate that.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#15 posted 11-24-2015 12:51 PM

I think some are being a bit harsh here. I would be a bit hesitant about taking a cold chisel and hammer to a brand new tool and beating on it. If it gets damaged, whose problem is it…..not Grizzly. It is a real let down to spend ones hard earned money, being excited about it and have a problem like this.

I think he got a bad person on the phone and should try again.

Trying an impact driver might be good or drilling off the heads.