Lyle Jamieson - Bowl Basics, The Easy Way

Review by Tim Dorcas posted 03-18-2009 05:39 AM 2860 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lyle Jamieson - Bowl Basics, The Easy Way No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Over the weekend, I get a e-mail notification from Wood Magazine that they have a new service where you can purchase and download video tutorials. You can find the service here. While this review is not about Iamplify, I would highly recommend it. While the price is the same as the DVD and the quality isn’t quite as high, there is something to discovering a tutorial you like and then being able to watch it 20 minutes later without having to go to the store or wait for the video to be delivered.

Delivery aside, Lyle Jamieson’s Bowl Basics video is awesome. He explains everything in a no nonsense manner that is clear and very easy to understand. I think it’s a measure of how good his teaching methods are that I was able to improve on all four of the major cuts he describes (Push, Pull, Sheer Scrape, & Scrape) as soon as I went out to the shop. But it’s not just about cuts. Everything you need to understand about turning bowls is in there. Whether it’s setting up the lathe, the use (or non use) of the bandsaw for creating blanks, sharpening your tools or maximizing the use of your bowl gouge , it’s in there. With over four hours of content,there is not any filler.

As valuable as I found the two videos, I did not agree with every thought process. Lyle primary likes to turn green wood. He doesn’t mind that it warps as it dries. He is not a huge proponent of chucking the blank. I chuck my bowls. Warped shapes are not nearly as interesting to me. In my mind these are not deal breakers. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and he makes strong cases for his.

What can I say? I have watched these videos several times over the last week and with so much content I continue to pick up new things. More importantly I have made huge improvements in my turning with this video. While your mileage may vary, if you can only have one bowl turning DVD in your arsenal, this is it.

Enjoy!
Tim

-- www.craftedbytim.com - A Woodworking & Renovation Blog & www.craftedbytim.com - I make. You buy.

View Matt Vredenburg's profile

Matt Vredenburg

129 posts in 2073 days

#1 posted 03-31-2009 05:31 AM

Thanks Tim for you review. I just ordered a copy. I also noticed that he lives in Traverse City, Michigan. Used to visit the place a few times a year love the area. I might need to line up a vacation to Lyle’s shop.

-- Matt, Arizona

#2 posted 04-01-2009 12:11 AM

Matt,

I will be interested to know what you think.

View toolboy's profile

toolboy

#3 posted 08-11-2009 10:22 PM

Thanks for the review, Tim. Actually, Jameison’s video is $39 (plus shipping?) at his site and only $32 at the Wood video site, so besides being getting the video right away, its also quite a bit cheaper, esp if you have to pay extra for the shipping.

Looks like that’s a pretty long video—4 hours 20 minutes according to Lyle’s site. How long did it take to download?

toolboy

#4 posted 08-13-2009 01:03 AM

I have high speed Internet so it less than an hour to download both videos. As I said, there is a lot of good content in there and not much if any filler. I still routinely watch it as I keep picking up new things. It’s an awesome vailue if you like to turn bowls.