A highly economical yet industrial strength mobile base

Review by Holbs posted 11-09-2015 03:05 AM 3897 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A highly economical yet industrial strength mobile base A highly economical yet industrial strength mobile base No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After refurbishing my 8” GeeTech jointer, I needed a small footprint mobile base in my 2 car garage setting. While Oliver Machinery and their sister company Loma Tools (old Sunhill company) helped me with the GeeTech jointer parts, I saw some nice mobile bases on their webpage. I ordered one, it arrived this weekend, a 5 year old can put it together without instructions and now my jointer has a nice new home from the makeshift temporary base it was sitting on. This is made is Taiwan. I initially ordered it Friday October 30th and a box arrived Wednesday November 4th. Not too shabby of shipping time. However, they mistakenly sent the wrong part. I called Judy at Oliver Machinery and she quickly sent the mobile base which arrived on Saturday the 7th. I was able to keep the 8” spiral cutterhead knives that were initially sent for free :)
Initial thoughts: 100% working. Can easily use the foot brake pedal to lift and lower this 500lb machine with my foot and also my hand (tested it myself!) with little torque. Very glad to have a single pedal to do this and not 2 pedals like I’ve seen on other mobile bases. Moves around with a single finger push. Both rear wheels are fixed, non-movable which works for me as I found having all swivel casters actually makes moving heavy things around more frustrating. The 2 threaded foots near the pedal are adjustable for height. Might of wished they were swivel heads, but they are rubberized and work.
I never seen a review or talk about this mobile base on LJ’s or anywhere else on the web. But, I rolled the dice and won :) Cost was $35 + $20 shipping. Compared to other bases out there, quality of construction and material, this is a win-win.
Product Description
Base Dimensions: 17” x 25-3/4”
Fits most 8” jointers
Heavy duty construction. Made from A36 heavy gauge steel. Foot operated pedal raise and lower the base for easy mobility and secure placement of your equipment.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

1960 posts in 2179 days

#1 posted 11-11-2015 09:11 AM

Sounds like a great product, congrats

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

32083 posts in 3016 days

#2 posted 11-11-2015 09:19 AM

It sounds like a really rugged and well thought out based. Thanks for the post.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

View XquietflyX's profile

XquietflyX

#3 posted 11-11-2015 05:33 PM

thanks for sharing i’m definitely going to look at a mobile base for my bandsaw there.

-- You can tell a lot about your wife by her hands, for example if they are around your throat she's prolly pissed off at you...

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

1960 posts in 2179 days

#4 posted 11-11-2015 09:52 PM

yep…I am going to order the 6” jointer mobile base to fit my bandsaw. They have a “universal” mobile base, but for some reason it looks more rickety plus being more $$$. I will definitely get the 10” cabinet saw version once I get a cabinet saw.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#5 posted 11-13-2015 03:14 PM

I need a mobile base for a floor standing drill press. It sounds like this could be used, probably with some fitting here and there, which I am ok doing. Good review for a product and a company that i have never heard of before.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#6 posted 11-15-2015 04:10 PM

I have one of these someone got in a mix up in a order not long ago. Having already put all my equipment on mobile bases I used it under the washing machine I keep outside for work clothes. Works rather well.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.