Indeed a great tool

Review by NetPro posted 03-16-2009 03:11 PM 2396 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Indeed a great tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Given that when available I like USA or German made tools, I researched this tool on the Web and found nothing available. The LION Pootatuck has been dicontinued and it appears all stock depleted. Not even a used one on e-bay.

Went ahead and order one from Grizzly and was plesantly surprised by the quality of this tool.
It was right on the money for both the 45 and 90 degrees preset on the right and left sides.
Not that is hard to calibrate it if you need to, but I have several highly accurate squares (guaranteed to be within 0.001) and digital verniers and they show this tool calibrated properly at the factory.

It is made in Taiwan, which might explain the higher quality; they started building tools and manufacturing equipment long before mainland China did, therefore, they have had more time to fine-tune their processes and techniques.

Anyway, it works great and is accurate, easy to calibarate when required and cheap. The only thing I would complain a bit is how dirty the grease they cover it is; it looks as if it is a black grease or something but it works great protecting the surface as mine was spotless (from rust) after taking the time to clean that stuff.

Now. I can trim those 45 degrees cuts (and 90 too or anything in between) to perfection. Not sure how hardened the blades are and how long they are going to stay sharp, so, we’ll see on that.

View NetPro's profile

NetPro

1 post in 2044 days

#1 posted 03-16-2009 04:11 PM

Thanks for the review. I have been considering getting one of these since I like to frame pictures. This has been a helpful review.

#2 posted 03-16-2009 04:53 PM

I’ve had an original Lion brand miter trimmer for quite a few years. In recent years I’ve been cutting miters on a fixed angle sled on my tablesaw with a fine cutting blade and have been satisfied with that approach.
I’ve kind of abandoned the idea of using miters, though. When I must, I usually spline them. Even on picture frames I use a variety of other joints.
Nevertheless, The miter trimmer is a tool that will take a slice off the end of a miter so cleanly that using sandpaper on the cut would make it worse.
No, I won’t sell it. (;-])

d.

View jack1's profile

jack1

1938 posts in 2712 days

#3 posted 03-17-2009 08:27 AM

I bought one of these through Rockler a few years ago and have used it to final trim frames for not only pictures but also small cabinet doors. It works well. Weighs a ton which I’m sure helps keep it giving smooth accurate cuts. I also bought the extensions and find they help steady long pieces. I’ve mounted mine on formica type sheet stock that I can clamp to the table when needed. It hangs on the wall until then! Great tool.
The grease is cosmoline just like what they shipped M-1 carbines etc. in. They use that because it is cast iron and it would be a rusty mess after crossing the pacific!

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

#4 posted 03-17-2009 12:04 PM

Its sad but true, the original Pootatuck Corp. Lion Miter Trimmer, made in the USA, is no longer available. You can find it on the internet, they haven’t taken down their web site, but following the links to dealers you find that none of them have the tool.
Mine is the original and I think its a marvel. After all these years the massive knife is sharper than a razor blade.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#5 posted 03-18-2009 01:47 AM

How big a board can you trim with one of these?

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#6 posted 03-18-2009 01:52 AM

We use on at the shop when doing moldings on doors and panels. It does make precise cuts.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

#7 posted 03-18-2009 02:35 AM

Topamax,
The trimmer is mainly for moldings. I would try to trim a 2×4 in it!

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#8 posted 03-18-2009 02:53 AM

I thought it would be a molding trimmer, but the board in the picture looks almost like a 2×4! :-))

#9 posted 03-18-2009 03:09 PM

That picture is misleading in another way, too.
One would never operate it one-handed. The molding MUST be held firmly so the blade doesn’t push or pull it off the cutting line.

View lou's profile

lou

#10 posted 07-12-2009 01:25 AM

i to have had one for years.where would you go to have the knives resharpened?

View jack1's profile

jack1

1938 posts in 2712 days

#11 posted 07-12-2009 04:50 AM

I would try a real sharpening service. One that does scissors especially. I believe the edge is similar. When I was a kid in New Bedford, MA, there used to be an old Italian guy that used to come around with a wagon that had sharpening wheels. Every town had a guy like this. This is all the men did. They would charge a 10 to 50 cents to sharpen anything with an edge and you really got your money’s worth! Years later I was told that these old Italian guys were retired Mafioso and, they were the only ones allowed to have this business… go figure. Sharpen this!

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

#12 posted 07-12-2009 05:53 PM

I’ve owned my Pootatuck Lion brand trimmer for about 20 years.
It’s almost as sharp now as it was when new.
It still shaves paper thin end grain pieces.
If I did want it sharpened I’d look for a service company that sharpens industrial shears.