Laguna 2hp Cyclone Dust Collector - Unboxing & Assy

Review by TheDane posted 11-01-2015 02:16 AM 5285 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Laguna 2hp Cyclone Dust Collector - Unboxing & Assy Laguna 2hp Cyclone Dust Collector - Unboxing & Assy No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is an initial (unboxing & assembly) review … I’ll update after the machine has been in service for a few months.

The machine arrived at the local Woodcraft store on a pallet, and weighed in at 106 KG (a little over 233 pounds). We got the shipping container ( 45” x 26” x 38”) to fit into the cargo bay of my Jeep Liberty with a little finagling (and a few well-chosen words).

I have a pneumatic table and a very patient wife that were invaluable in unloading it in my garage.

At first, the task of assembling the beast seemed daunting, but aside from the weight of the Main Housing Assembly (which includes the impeller and motor), assembly went pretty well.

Laguna warns that the main housing assembly is heavy, and suggests you have at least 2 people working together when lifting it into place. My wife is a great helper, and with the pneumatic table, some plywood, and 4×4’s, we managed to get the motor assembly mounted on the stand and attach the bottom cone.

I would have rated the unboxing & assembly 5 stars but for a glaring error in the manual. Though Laguna includes 4 strips of foam tape, the manual only addresses installation of 3 of them. The manual makes no mention of any sort of gasket or foam tape around the flanges that connect the main housing assembly and the canister filter. I recall that previous reviewers had complained of air leaks between the main housing and canister. I used the 4th strip of foam tape to form a gasket around the flange.

I have a little prep work to do before I move it into the shop … more on performance after I have it in operation for awhile.

//////////////////// Four Days Later \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

A couple of minor issues worth noting …

The bin has four threaded casters that screw into the bottom of the bin. This results in about 1/2” of the bolt threads exposed inside the bin … several prior purchasers of this machine warned that the threads can tear bags (the bags cost about $3.50 apiece and are ‘reusable’ so you don’t want to risk tearing them).

There were several solutions suggested … I decided to go with 5/16” thread protectors …

The ‘Inlet Adaptor’ has two four-inch inlets with plastic guards inside, which I presume are intended to keep large objects from getting into the cyclone. While I appreciate the desire to reduce chances of damaging the machine’s innards, I am a woodturner and the plastic grillwork was a bottleneck clogged with shavings …

The solution was simple … a couple of minutes with a keyhole saw and the bottleneck is gone!

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#1 posted 11-01-2015 03:40 AM

WOW!
You’re doing great!

Who came in Second in your ‘choosing’ field?

Looks like a super DC system… hope it works out…

#2 posted 11-01-2015 04:13 PM

Who came in Second in your choosing field?

Next on the list was a JDS 2100-CKV and a Jet 421814 ... both 2hp systems. With Woodcraft’s sale price and no shipping, the Laguna cost me at least $280 less than the others with approximately the same specs.

#3 posted 11-01-2015 06:05 PM

I put a 5HP Clear View together all by myself at 10 or 12 from the ground.
That was crazy and heavy.

#4 posted 11-01-2015 07:58 PM

That was crazy and heavy.

I know what you mean … I’m feeling it today!

View knotheadswoodshed's profile

knotheadswoodshed

#5 posted 11-02-2015 03:42 PM

I have this DC and I think it works pretty well.
I put it on the other side of a concrete block wall separating one side of my shop from the other, the remote works great and it makes things much quieter.

-- Randy - "I dont make mistakes, I make design change opportunities" www.knotheadswoodshed.com

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

2014 posts in 1221 days

#6 posted 11-02-2015 05:58 PM

Gerry, do you know the country of origin? (the printing on the box has that Chinese font).

Sharp looking unit, Looks like that pneumatic table paid for itself!

#7 posted 11-02-2015 07:22 PM

Gerry, do you know the country of origin?

Taiwan.

And the pneumatic table has been a life/back saver many times over. The max table height is perfect for the bed of the Jeep … bags of concrete, fertilizer, lumber, machinery are all easy-peasy to deal with.