Incra T-rule very nice indeed

Review by Craftsman on the lake posted 03-14-2009 12:04 AM 2718 views 2 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Incra T-rule very nice indeed Incra T-rule very nice indeed No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A short while back I purchased the Incra 6” T-rule. it is a small piece of t-track with a precision rule attached to it. Two knobs allow you to slide the rule along the t-track to make a square out of it. The thing has scales and numbers galore and if you don’t have new eyes, then like me you may need your magnifiers. Even though, the numbers and lines are extremely crisp and clear. It has scales for 1/16”, 1/32”, and 1/64”’s The thing that makes this rule special is the small holes in every line. Put the square edge on the side of your wood, place a mechanical pencil point in one of the holes and slide it along. you’ll get precise lines every time. It’s great for marking out mortises. I find myself using it to measure lots of small items within the rules 6” limit. Incra makes this rule in 4.5”, 6”, 12”, and 18”. I picked my 6”er up on sale at Rockler for 14.95. A simple tool that I find myself grabbing over and over instead of my retractable or long stainless one I work from a lot. A note: if you pick one of these up and are looking for a mechanical pencil for it. Be sure to get one with #5 lead. #6 or #7 even though seemingly tiny won’t fit in the holes. I’m giving it 5 starts even though I have to put glasses on to read it. But then again that’s not the rules fault as a 64th of an inch doesn’t leave much room for large numbers and lines. It’s well made and does what it is designed to do.

(pictures are from incra online catalog)

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

#1 posted 03-14-2009 01:09 AM

I have this also and agree it is a handy rule, I find myself reaching for it often.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

View Karson's profile (online now)

#2 posted 03-14-2009 01:14 AM

I’ve had the 12” one and someone stacked some magazines on top of it and the rule portion is bent. But it was great as long as it was intact.

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#3 posted 03-14-2009 01:20 AM

thanks for the review. i agree, these are great measuring tools. i’ve got just about each type incra sells. these little beauties greatly increased my accuracy. when i first started out ww’ing, i thought an 8th or at most a 32nd was good enough. i found out quickly a 64th does matter. it is the difference between building furniture with warts, and building furniture you will be proud of. once used, you’ll never go back.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#4 posted 03-14-2009 01:26 AM

I’m going to have one one of these days….........thanks for the review.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View Doug S.'s profile

Doug S.

#5 posted 03-14-2009 04:59 AM

I’ve got the 6” & 12” but by far the one I use the most often is a small 3” that Hartville Tool carries. I use the heck out of that thing.

-- Use the fence Luke

View BigFoot Products Canada's profile

BigFoot Products Canada

620 posts in 2079 days

#6 posted 03-14-2009 01:02 PM

Sounds cool. I’ll have to try and find one up here in Canada..:)

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

#7 posted 03-14-2009 02:24 PM

View gbvinc's profile

gbvinc

#8 posted 03-14-2009 02:33 PM

I use the little 3” version for box making all the time. Really useful.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#9 posted 03-14-2009 03:40 PM

I have had one for a couple years now. I put it in my apron pocket and bent the rule a bit. Other than it being a lot more fragile than a standard steel rule I love it.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#10 posted 03-14-2009 05:18 PM

FYI – Rockler has the 3”.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#11 posted 03-14-2009 10:04 PM

Have used the 12˝ for years, and love mine. They aren’t as sturdy as a combo square, but for layout they are indispensable.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View DaveInMontana's profile

DaveInMontana

23 posts in 2053 days

#12 posted 03-15-2009 04:13 AM

I got a 12” for my birthday about a month ago and also find it very handy, especially after I adjust my glasses!

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#13 posted 03-15-2009 05:01 AM

I have the protractor version and it works great.

They also have a decimal rather than fractional version. No one seems to carry them though.
I hate fractions, hate fractions, hate fractions.

You can probably tell I don’t care too much for fractions, huh?

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#14 posted 03-15-2009 05:16 AM

Fractions gary? As a science teacher for 30 years I got used to teaching and working with fractions as no science is in the standard units. To the point where I could think in them so they became more natural. The standard (fractions) system of measurement is the most archaic system ever devised. But, I know that system too and everything around me is in it. So, like the rest of the country, I succumb. Oh, well.

View Matt Vredenburg's profile

Matt Vredenburg

#15 posted 03-31-2009 05:35 AM

I have this as well and would rate it a 5. I always stay I want to get the longer version. I think mines the 6 inch.

-- Matt, Arizona